Card/Deck UB Zombie Tokens

I’m interested in exploring whether some of the new Amass cards from War of the Spark can help me introduce a neat little subtheme into Blue-Black, a color for which I’ve struggled to find a cohesive secondary identity.

The Amass “lords” in War of the Spark remind me of the splicers, which I, like many others, have found to be fun build-around cube cards that are also playable without critical mass.

I really like the concept of the Amass Army token, because it is a kind of modal token that can either act as (sometimes repeatable) sacrifice fodder, or go tall, without the potential to go ridiculously wide and clog up the board, which is the aspect of tokens I find most problematic and difficult to reign in.

The build-a-voltron aspect of the amass lords is fun, and scratches the same itch as the splicers, but in both cases, having the buffs tied to a separate creature helps smooth out the risk and reward distribution.

I’m leery of trying to put too many eggs in the basket of a mechanic that is likely to never reappear, but what’s nice is that amass lords affect all zombie tokens, not just zombie army tokens, so they synergize with many cards from other sets. The Amonkhet block embalm/eternalize creatures are particularly exciting, as they also adhere to a go-tall rather than go-wide token strategy.

Here’s the package of cards I’m considering running, or already running, that could be considered part of this theme:

A few thoughts on individual cards:

Dreadhorde Invasion: I really like this one because it cross-synergizes so well with sacrifice and stax strategies.

Lazotep Reaver: This has the same cross-synergies, but I worry it might be a little too low impact; would be curious to hear peoples’ thoughts.

Vizer of the Scorpion and Eternal Skylord: I think these are in a nice power level sweet spot, in that they are good enough to slot into any deck that’s in their colors, and have some synergies with other archetypes in their colors (Sacrifice for the Vizier, blink for the Skylord), but are likely to be medium picks for anyone not drafting this UB Zombie subtheme, increasing the chances that someone on this plan can pick up one or both.

Gleaming Overseer This is the one I’m most on the fence about. I like having a gold card to signal subthemes (e.g., my Azorius section runs Glassdust Hulk to complement the splicers package), but this seems a little too on the nose and a little too narrow?

Undead Alchemist: I’m trying to focus more on going tall than going wide, but as a blue card that makes zombie tokens, this is hard to resist.

Xathrid Necromancer and Rise from the Tides are cards that really are here for other archetypes, and this deck likely will not have the setup pieces to really make them tick, but are value options for it nonetheless.

The Eternalize creatures are all ones I would run regardless, so the fact that they are bonkers-fun with the Amass lords is just upside.

Here’s a sample deck I drafted on cube tutor, but haven’t actually tested it yet.

UB Zombies from CubeTutor.com

Curious for your thoughts and feedback on this.

I’m interested in exploring whether some of the new Amass cards from War of the Spark can help me introduce a neat little subtheme into Blue-Black, a color for which I’ve struggled to find a cohesive secondary identity.

The Amass “lords” in War of the Spark remind me of the splicers, which I, like many others, have found to be fun build-around cube cards that are also playable without critical mass.

I really like the concept of the Amass Army token, because it is a kind of modal token that can either act as (sometimes repeatable) sacrifice fodder, or go tall, without the potential to go ridiculously wide and clog up the board, which is the aspect of tokens I find most problematic and difficult to reign in.

The build-a-voltron aspect of the amass lords is fun, and scratches the same itch as the splicers, but in both cases, having the buffs tied to a separate creature helps smooth out the risk and reward distribution.

I’m leery of trying to put too many eggs in the basket of a mechanic that is likely to never reappear, but what’s nice is that amass lords affect all zombie tokens, not just zombie army tokens, so they synergize with many cards from other sets. The Amonkhet block embalm/eternalize creatures are particularly exciting, as they also adhere to a go-tall rather than go-wide token strategy.

Here’s the package of cards I’m considering running, or already running, that could be considered part of this theme:

A few thoughts on individual cards:

Dreadhorde Invasion: I really like this one because it cross-synergizes so well with sacrifice and stax strategies.

Lazotep Reaver: This has the same cross-synergies, but I worry it might be a little too low impact; would be curious to hear peoples’ thoughts.

Vizer of the Scorpion and Eternal Skylord: I think these are in a nice power level sweet spot, in that they are good enough to slot into any deck that’s in their colors, and have some synergies with other archetypes in their colors (Sacrifice for the Vizier, blink for the Skylord), but are likely to be medium picks for anyone not drafting this UB Zombie subtheme, increasing the chances that someone on this plan can pick up one or both.

Gleaming Overseer This is the one I’m most on the fence about. I like having a gold card to signal subthemes (e.g., my Azorius section runs Glassdust Hulk to complement the splicers package), but this seems a little too on the nose and a little too narrow?

Undead Alchemist: I’m trying to focus more on going tall than going wide, but as a blue card that makes zombie tokens, this is hard to resist.

Xathrid Necromancer and Rise from the Tides are cards that really are here for other archetypes, and this deck likely will not have the setup pieces to really make them tick, but are value options for it nonetheless.

The Eternalize creatures are all ones I would run regardless, so the fact that they are bonkers-fun with the Amass lords is just upside.

Here’s a sample deck I drafted on cube tutor, but haven’t actually tested it yet.

UB Zombies from CubeTutor.com

Curious for your thoughts and feedback on this.

We're getting very close to having a playable U/B zombies archetype in cube. As is, I'm going to be adding a zombies deck to mono-black in my list.

You're missing some of the best cards though!

Bleed into G/W/R:

Most of these are more generic "Tribal Zombies" payoffs than rewards for Amassing an Army, but I think that they help support an otherwise somewhat narrow strategy. The majority of these cards make tokens or pump your tokens, all while just being fine.

As for some of the new cards you mentioned that aren't quite tried or true yet:
Vizier of Many Faces- I've run it, it's fine, although I am probably replacing it soon.

Eternal Skylord- I had it in my prerelease pool. It was really good! Some people were even able to blink it with Teferi's Time-Twist and maximize value. If you have synergy for it beyond zombies and a power-level that can support it, run it!

Lazotep Reaver- I'm running it as aristocrats support. It seems like a begrudging playable in decks that can't abuse it.

Dreadhorde Invasion- I've never been a big fan of this card because of how long it will take a deck without other amass cards to get a 6/6 army. Only seems good with Honored Hydra.

Vizier of the Scorpion- I think this is probably worse than the majority of other zombie lords. Death Baron is a better card in almost every way, save for the fact that it requires another zombie to be good.

Gleaming Overseer the closest I came to losing a match at the prerelease was on the heels of this card. It was so good! U/B is a really tight gold slot, but if you add a bunch of zombie tokens to the format, it's going to do some work! You can also play Gisa and Geralf to similar effect.

Also- this card is just gas:

We're getting very close to having a playable U/B zombies archetype in cube. As is, I'm going to be adding a zombies deck to mono-black in my list.

You're missing some of the best cards though!

Most of these are more generic "Tribal Zombies" payoffs than rewards for Amassing an Army, but I think that they help support an otherwise somewhat narrow strategy. The majority of these cards make tokens or pump your tokens, all while just being fine.

Definitely some great cards to choose from! I will say that what I’m finding appealing about amass particularly is that I think there’s a possibility there may be a cogent theme here that can be sprinkled into a cube without too much commitment in terms of card slots, and that’s tightrope I’m trying to walk.

Some of the more traditional zombie lords are looking for a critical mass of zombies, and drafters that pick them up will be looking for that critical mass as well, and I’m not willing to give it to them!

To be sure, I may be misreading the signals that the Amass lords themselves will give, but I like that, like the splicers, they are self-contained, but can build off each other if it all comes together.

Dreadhorde Invasion- I've never been a big fan of this card because of how long it will take a deck without other amass cards to get a 6/6 army. Only seems good with Honored Hydra.

Very true, but I would probably run it just for the role it can play in sacrifice and stax decks. Basically a nerfed Bitterblossom with janky upside is perfect for my cube.

Vizier of the Scorpion- I think this is probably worse than the majority of other zombie lords. Death Baron is a better card in almost every way, save for the fact that it requires another zombie to be good.

Thanks for this perspective. I think you’re right that two 1/1’s for 3 is not quite there, even with death touch on one of them. Although imagine how disgusting an eternalized Dreamstealer would be with this guy on the battlefield?

Gleaming Overseer the closest I came to losing a match at the prerelease was on the heels of this card. It was so good! U/B is a really tight gold slot, but if you add a bunch of zombie tokens to the format, it's going to do some work!

This is good to know! I also faced this in prerelease, and found it quite good in that context. I think I will test and see what my play group does with it. I don't think I would want it if people had too many ways to spit out lots of zombie tokens at once, but I'm comfortable with it in this more limited application.

Definitely some great cards to choose from! I will say that what I’m finding appealing about amass particularly is that I think there’s a possibility there may be a cogent theme here that can be sprinkled into a cube without too much commitment in terms of card slots, and that’s tightrope I’m trying to walk.

Some of the more traditional zombie lords are looking for a critical mass of zombies, and drafters that pick them up will be looking for that critical mass as well, and I’m not willing to give it to them!

To be sure, I may be misreading the signals that the Amass lords themselves will give, but I like that, like the splicers, they are self-contained, but can build off each other if it all comes together.
Thanks for your post! I think you're missing the point of my suggesting some of the "traditional" zombie lords. Not every lord needs a critical mass of other members of it's respective tribe to be worth the slot.

Take Cemetery Reaper. It turns on itself, and it makes a bunch of tokens which synergize with our Amass lords. You can play only Eternal Skylord and Cemetery Reaper in your deck and still have a really strong zombie tribal base. If a lord makes the tokens which it buffs, then it doesn't need a critical mass of other creatures of it's type to be good. Cryptbreaker is a card that a lot of people run in the absence of zombie tribal support because it generates so much value by itself. Yes, it's better with other zombies, but you don't need them.

That's pretty base level stuff I suppose, but think that it's important to note that just because something is a tribal lord does not mean that it is narrow. Undead Warchief is narrow, Cemetery Reaper and Cryptbreaker are not. Actually, the only reason I'm expanding my own zombie theme is because Cryptbreaker was such a fun card to play with even in the absence of more than a couple of other zombies.

I guess my point is- you can run the traditional zombie lords as support for your amass package.

Not many people run this card, but I personally like it a lot in the right context:

I know it's not really what you're getting at, but figured I'd toss it into the ring.

It requires some building around:

Insert other good flashback, madness, delve cards.

Some combination of non-creature sources of zombie tokens alongside select independently useful lords like Eternal Skylord could be interesting, and not crazy poisonous.

I was revisiting some fun subthemes for my cube and I realized that I can probably support a mini zombie theme at little cost. I wanted to know what people thought of the following package:

Payoffs

GY zombies

Sac zombies

Incidental zombies

I like that most of the payoff cards fit into both sacrifice and GY decks, which I support in black (GY +sac) and blue (GY). I am already running most of these cards, the biggest question marks for me are Cemetery Reaper and Eternal Skylord. Basically how bad are they outside of non-zombie decks in a high powered format?

The Reaper is self-contained engine that uses both themes (fodder for sacrifice taken from the GY) and doubles as a nice piece of GY hate which is hard to find outside of narrow cards. My worry is that 3 mana for the ability is too much.

The Skylord seems pretty bad, but I have a pod/blink theme in Bant colors and a few other amass cards already in blue (that are all playable individually). That and the fact that blue doesn't have great 5 drop creatures means I could see it be played.
Am I blinding myself and this is terrible? If so any suggestions on how to make it work?

Bonus cards I am considering:

Rotting Regisaur: I don't really run a black aggro deck, this zombie package could be what ties it together. The discard is useful for other decks making this less narrow than it looks. Plus I know at least one of my drafters will love this addition :p

Carrion Feeder: I am wary of too many "can't block" creatures in a MP game. With 2 Gravecrawler, Bloodghast and Scrapyard Scrounger, this might be too much. However the upside is huge with Gravecrawler leading me to think I could maybe cut Bloodghast or cheat and shop the Scrounger to the colorless section.

Dreadhorde Invasion: I already run Bitterblossom and this is way worse. However with other amass zombie cards it does open lines with the +1/+1 counter/proliferate decks.

After more thought on the subject here is how I am trying to incorporate the zombie subtheme to my Dimir section: Self-mill

Now that is a pretty wide theme, but I've found 2 directions to take that doesn't seem poisonous and forces me to run very few cards I wouldn't otherwise.

Creature value

These zombies fill roles of GY enablers and/or payoffs and allow a more traditional creature deck with reanimation and recursion. The only true zombie card is Gisa and Geralf and I consider them a fun build around.

An intriguing card for me is Tombstone Stairwell as a way to abuse a sac outlet or just turbo mill yourself and beat down.

Spell tokens

This is where I had trouble before. Tying the zombies to blue's strengths, one of which is playing lots of spells and recurring them (Snapcaster Mage, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, The Mirari Conjecture). This seems like a solid angle to approach the archetype as it fits naturally with what blue wants to do and these cards are actually good outside of the theme.

Now what to do with all of these tokens? Well, we can sacrifice them for value (which black already does well) or grant them evasion via Eternal Skylord. Granting evasion to all of these tokens is likely to win a match and he can also be blinked for value, used for Birthing Pod and has +1/+1 counter synergy.

There are a few more zombie making spells, but they seem just a bit underpowered for my cube: Hour of Eternity, From Under the Floorboards, Gisa's Bidding.

On the other hand, I'm thinking God-Eternal Kefnet would be a perfect bridge between these 2 themes, but I'm afraid he is just too good. Likewise, The Scarab God seems tailor made for what I want to do, but the sheer power and resiliency are scary.

Incidental zombies

For this to work more smoothly, you need some number of random zombie cards and for me they are:
Carrion Feeder, Murderous Rider, Fleshbag Marauder, Skinrender, Liliana, Heretical Healer (kind of), Midnight Reaper, God-Eternal Bontu

As you can see a good many of these are sacrifice related, but they just incorporate the black sacrifice theme and don't really need help being tied to other archeytpes/decks.
I realize this is almost a double post with what I previously wrote, but sorting things out and writing them for others just helped make sense of it for me, so suck it up :p