Card/Deck Varolz, the Scar-Striped

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Image.ashx

Does anybody here run this card? I'm always looking for fun sacrifice and graveyard effects, and Varolz has been making some small waves in constructed. Do you all think he's good enough for 360?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I run him, but I haven't seen him yet.
He gives you a lot of gas and a resiliant body to put it on for just 3 mana. He's not going to be comboing people out by putting 4+ counters on a dude without taking your whole turn, but he'll be solid.
The fact that he eats threatened creatures is a bonus to me.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm kind of torn between him and Lotleth Troll, since I only have so many Golgari spots available, and they're fighting for the same small-creature slot. So I haven't tested Varolz yet, but I'd also like to hear from people who do. The Troll seems more flexible and easier to jam into any deck playing green and black, while the troll feels like a Johnny-build-around that would only fit into a couple of narrower builds.

Err.. you know what I mean. Jason's sac-happy cube would be as good a home as any for the Golgari champion.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I play it and think it's pretty solid, though it's one of the many fun and interesting cards that don't fit in a tight 360.

I am currently running Varolz and like him quite a bit. He doesn't slot in as a splash card like other B/G options, but he plays very well with both colors. He's very unassuming which makes him go later in draft than he probably should. Unsure if there are better options for the sacrifice effect at that cost in those colors.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say, despite being the one running the major Zombie theme, I haven't been all that impressed with Lotleth Troll. He sounds great in principle, but he's just kind of... a turd out there.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
He reminds me of river boa of just being the most resiliant solid creature at that cost.
except he can get bigger.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
For the folks that run Varolz: how's this guy been doing in your cubes? I've had him in for a few outings now, but I don't think I have the right decks to support him.

he's been great in my cube, a lot of fun and a very powerful card that fits in more than one archetype. my cube is supposed to have more graveyard stuff than average though

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
PEOPLE, YOUR ONE SENTENCE REPLIES ARE NOT HELPING ME, ALL FIVE OF YOU

Explain to me like I'm five. What kind of decks are you using Varolz in? Does he require a lot of self-mill before he's effective? Or just spare bodies that like being sacrificed?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
He's been great w/Gravecrawler and his ilk for me, as well as vengevine. He's decent in a midrage deck without dedicated self mill, but he's kinda midrangey anyways, being a 3 drop that needs to untap to be good.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
This card has done stone nothing for us over the course of half a dozen drafts. Just absolute zilch. I don't know what we're (I'm?) doing wrong.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Geez, I really don't know, I clicked on this thread expecting that you were going to be raving that this card is all that and a bag of chips.