Velrun’s List of TV Shows Everyone Should Watch

Velrun’s list of favorite TV shows he thinks everyone should watch and a quick guide how to watch them:

Game of Thrones -> House of the Dragon
Breaking Bad -> El Camino -> Better Call Saul
Your Honor
The Office (US)
Severance
The Undoing

Choose a TV show partner or group. Put it on the big screen in maximum quality. Turn off the lights. Enjoy the show and pay attention while watching. Make it an event that your group can look forward to. Never watch more than a single episode per day but never let the show rest for more than a week except between seasons. Buy snacks or cook dinner before for maximum pleasure.

Game of Thrones.jpg
1666545333996.png

5A571433-9E5C-4431-AC17-AB6743C22FAA.jpeg

2CDE6D6E-D43C-471C-A3B3-199A295C2DFA.jpeg

73740A36-5261-42D5-81EE-BAE9D979C33D.jpeg
Severance.png
The Undoing.jpg

I know this is a lot and it can be daunting to begin a new show. Especially when they are as deep as these. However I promise you will be rewarded for your efforts. These shows are especially difficult to begin with but also incredibly complicated and captivating. All they require is your full attention.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't watch a lot of TV shows, but I thought The Office (UK) was absolutely amazing. I preferred it to what I've seen from the US version. Maybe I'm just more into English humor? There's at least two more that I can highly recommend :)

Blackadder
The IT Crowd

I would add on

Arrested Development (seasons 1-3)
Community (Seasons 1-5, 4 is skippable but just trust me and don't watch 6)
The Genius - this is a South Korean reality TV show where celebrities play games for high stakes. It's hard to express why I like this so much without giving it away, but the design of the games, the way it's edited, and the personalities they've chosen all gel in such a way that the whole thing is incredibly compelling. It might be a bit difficult to find - the first season at least used to be available on YouTube, but I went looking for a link and it seems like it's been taken down. I'll have a poke around and see if i can find it uploaded anywhere else.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
My wife and I tried to watch The Genius but we couldn't stomach the over the top Ainori Love Wagon style editing. More Terrace House style edits please.

I don't watch a lot of TV shows, but I thought The Office (UK) was absolutely amazing. I preferred it to what I've seen from the US version. Maybe I'm just more into English humor? There's at least two more that I can highly recommend :)

Blackadder
The IT Crowd

The UK is the original. The beginning of the US is almost a copy of the UK. It is meant to be this way and it is made by the same people. They wanted to expand upon their idea and make it bigger. As you can probably guess I can highly recommend watching the US from start to finish. You will never stop watching it because you will find new things to appreciate every time. Fun fact: It was the most watched show in the world on any platform in 2020.

Can you pitch me Blackladder and IT Crowd? Please pitch only the first few episodes and don’t spoil too far ahead.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Can you pitch me Blackladder and IT Crowd? Please pitch only the first few episodes and don’t spoil too far ahead.
Oof, it's been years since I watched those, and I honestly couldn't even tell you the plot of the first few episodes.

Blackadder: A pseudo-historical series that follows the antics of antihero Edmund Blackadder (played by Rowan Atkinson of Mr. Bean fame) in possibly his best character role ever. Each of the four seasons is set in a different time period, implying each Edmund is a descendant of the Edmund from the previous season. The Edmund character is always trying to gain more influence/power/wealth, which inevitably fails.

The IT Crowd: Roy and Moss are two awkward nerds manning the rundown IT department of some vague company that clearly values other departments much higher. At the start of the series Jen joins the team. She's rubbish at IT but bluffed her way through a job interview with an equally IT-unsavvy boss. Hilarious situations ensue.

Oof, it's been years since I watched those, and I honestly couldn't even tell you the plot of the first few episodes.

Blackadder: A pseudo-historical series that follows the antics of antihero Edmund Blackadder (played by Rowan Atkinson of Mr. Bean fame) in possibly his best character role ever. Each of the four seasons is set in a different time period, implying each Edmund is a descendant of the Edmund from the previous season. The Edmund character is always trying to gain more influence/power/wealth, which inevitably fails.

I'd suggest skipping the first season of Blackadder completely, it doesn't really find its feet until season 2.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I'd suggest skipping the first season of Blackadder completely, it doesn't really find its feet until season 2.

Agreed. In the first seasons he's kind of a hapless mug, for whom nothing goes right. It's along the lines of what we usually get from Rowan Atkinson. After that they completely rewrite his character: he's a cunning, scheming, brilliantly spoken jerk, for whom still nothing goes right. Rowan Atkinson is so good in that role. I can't think of anything else I've seen him in where he's not a hapless mug though, shame...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, full agree. The conniving, scheming Blackadder is what I'm here for :)

And Hugh Laurie's characters' naive incompetence of course :D

It's been a long time since I watched it but iirc they basically switched the characters of Baldrick and Blackadder between s1 and s2, and much for the better.

Don't have as much time to binge or dive into shows like I used to, but I was pretty deep into watching television as a hobby through much of my college years into my mid twenties. It was mostly dramas and comedies that made up the bulk of my viewing. Two series that I'd recommend people to watch, mostly because they're all time classics, are The Sopranos and The Wire.

The Sopranos: I consider this the magnum opus of character driven dramas. Centered on Tony Soprano, the mafia boss of a crime family who tries to balance family life and leading a criminal organization. It's incredibly well-written with a vibrant cast of characters, intricate storytelling, and is just an incredible watch from start to finish. I was hooked from the very first episode and binged it in its entirety (all 6 seasons) the first time I watched it, gave it a rewatch a few years later with a roommate. I've watched many of the all-timers as far as dramas go and James Gandolfini's performance as Tony Soprano is just an all-timer. Right up there with Walter White and Don Draper as compelling character studies. Not for the faint of heart; this is a show centered around the mafia and crime so there's tons of violence, sex and drama throughout. So if you liked Game of Thrones, nothing out of the ordinary as far as mature content is concerned! My favorite show of all time, just impeccable casting all around and so many nuanced storylines from beginning to end.

The Wire: Deepdive into the relationship between law enforcement and various institutions the comprised the heart of Baltimore, Maryland. A crime drama that set out to show how everything is interconnected within a given system with each of its 5 seasons focusing upon different subjects while building upon previously established storylines and characters. The five seasons focus on (in order): the illegal drug trade, the seaport system, city government and bureaucracy, education and schools, and print news. Show creator David Simon sums it up best stating that despite its framing as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals. Whether one is a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge or a lawyer, all are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution to which they are committed." It's an incredibly fascinating look at how various parts of society interact and weave into eachother, why breaking through the cycle of poverty and circumstance is much more difficult that one can perceive. I'd go as far as saying that Season 4 might very well be the greatest season of television in history. This show didn't get the credit it deserved, but posthumously it's been widely lauded as one of the greatest shows of all time.

And I guess I'll just list out some favorites for fun and in case anyone is looking for something to watch. Lemme know if you want any information on any of these. I have watched all these shows in their entirety and can vouch for them across the board; they're all great!

Dramas
  1. The Sopranos (Greatest show I've ever seen. Please watch)
  2. The Wire (2nd greatest. You'll be amazed by how all of the pieces fit together and all the callbacks throughout)
  3. Breaking Bad
  4. Mad Men (Slow burn, but it's well worth it. Great period drama and an all-time performance from Jon Hamm as Don Draper)
  5. The Leftovers (Season 1 is a rough watch and pretty dark and bleak, but it's worth it just to reach Season 2. One of the greatest seasons of television I've ever watched and one of the most satisfying series for me)
  6. Deadwood (Very underrated, cancelled way too soon after 3 seasons. They wrapped it up with an excellent follow-up film in 2019 after more than a decade off air)
  7. True Detective (S1 and S3 only, incredible acting and stories for each of those standalone seasons)
  8. Barry (Bill Hader is genius in this role as an assassin turned actor, very dark with equal parts drama and comedy)
Comedies
  1. Parks and Recreation (Season 1 is meh, but it picks up in Season 2. Season 3 onwards it was the best comedy on television throughout its run imo)
  2. The Office (All-timer, nothing much needs to be said)
  3. Arrested Development (Season 1-3 all-time classics, the rest is meh after the reboot)
  4. Community (One of my go-tos to chill out and watch episodes randomly, super fun)
  5. Silicon Valley
  6. Veep (Great political satire throughout the early seasons, hit a little too close to home near the end with how wonky US politics got)
  7. Brooklyn Nine Nine (Put this off for a long time and regretted it; one of the funnest watches on television right now. Super easy to binge and enjoy)
  8. Kim's Convenience (This ones on Netflix right now and ongoing; Korean family in Canada that owns a convenience store navigating pitfalls of family life and culture clash. Very good show with great writing)
  9. 30 Rock (Rock solid throughout its run with great writing and characters. Primo viewing in the age of streaming services)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Brooklyn Nine Nine gets my award for 'best comedy that never makes me laugh out loud'. It's enjoyable, and sometimes I smile later in the day thinking back on a scene, but it doesn't put me in stitches.

I'd second that. I was very wary of diving into GoT again after how the original series ended, had sworn off it completely, but I put this on the night it was released just to give it a try. I was hooked again within 15 minutes and it's only gotten better and better with each episode. It just feels like classic GoT, not the watered down bits we got in the final 3 1/2 seasons once they had to wing it with source material running low.

The fact that the whole story behind HoTD is already completed gives me a lot of faith in this adaptation. I love the casting, love the choices they've made with the storytelling, and most of the tonal consistency has been excellent thus far. I've been watching both this and the Amazon LoTR series weekly since they've come out and I can't help but compare the two on a weekly basis. It's like night and day in terms of writing. Visually both are great to view, but HoTD's writing is really fucking solid while LoTR is definitely not.

And to contribute further to this thread, I'd say that Severance on Apple TV deserves a nod. Binged the whole of it in about a week a while back, but man was that a ride. Such a cool concept for a series, basically like stretching out a really good Black Mirror standalone into a season. I'm real excited to see where the story ends up going. Additionally I'm watching the final season of Atlanta via Hulu and I've always loved this show, but didn't rec it earlier in this thread due to how inconsistent it was in terms of season releases. That whole cast has blown up with big gigs elsewhere and in movies so I can totally see why it became more difficult to settle down for a season's worth of filming (especially once COVID hit). Still, they went above and beyond by filming both seasons 3 and 4 back to back and have released both this year. Highly recommend this show, that blend of surrealism, comedy, and some really hard-hitting episodes is just unmatched. Donald Glover is just one of the most talented people alive in the entertainment industry today, really blown away by what he's been able to do with this show.

And to contribute further to this thread, I'd say that Severance on Apple TV deserves a nod.
I completely agree!
But I have not finished it yet so I dare no put it on a list of shows I think everyone should watch. I know House of the Dragon will stay consistent. I don't know that about Severence yet.

If nothing changes, Severence also goes to the list.

HOTD is based on the book "Fire and Blood," so the showrunners won't have to create any portions of the story. They will just have to adapt the rest of the book. I think Game of Throne's downfall was that the last two or three books in the series weren't written when the show was being finished, so the television creators had to write their own content instead of following a well-crafted story from the books.

That doesn't necessarily mean House of the Dragon will remain consistent, but there's currently no indication that it will get worse.

Highly recommend Utopia (2013). British conspiracy thriller, only 12 episodes over 2 seasons, but that just means it's very tightly put together. Beautiful palette and colours in the cinematography, makes the whole thing feel like an indie comic book - which totally suits the tone. Not a fun show by any stretch, gets quite brutal at times, but if you survived Game of Thrones that won't be an issue.

Boston Legal is my guilty go-to, or for something a little more respectable, The West Wing. Both have great characterization and dialogue and ran for long enough that they don't finish in a single binge session.

You know, because Game of Thrones before it stayed so consistent ;) Obviously, as Train pointed, GoT was filmed with incomplete source material, which made the last two seasons challenging to direct.

You won’t have to tell me haha :) I know that which is why I initially wrote it :D