General Waddellian, Riptidian, Funchian

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think the defining feature of your cube environment is how "agressive" it is, Waddel. Like, you run half a dozen strip mines and yet Crucible of Worlds is not overpowered because it's not fast enough.
I cut the Wastelands because they started to feel unnecessary. I'll try to write out some of my philosophy tomorrow instead of just shitposting incessantly.

Is this really how you are constructing actual examples of your cubes? Because that's about half of the entire red section dedicated to that one effect. Or this is a little bit exaggerated to show the point.
I used to run about half of my noncreature red spells as burn. Every red deck wants them.
Colorless cards are the basic land archetype payoff.
I've recently been experimenting with running spells as a payoff for decks that run lands.

landofMordor

Administrator
What I'm hearing is it's time to update what a "10" on the Strix Scale really is hahaha
Hahaha that's the truth. 10 is Hidden Gibbons, 9 is Chancellors, 8 is "Even More Degenerate than Andy Mangold's Degenerate Micro Cube", 7 is Andy Mangold's Degenerate Micro Cube, and so on.

Lol I guess I think of the Strix Scale as a quality elevation of discourse for fora like Reddit and Twitter, where adding "Strix X" to a post actually meaningfully adds information. It lacks the nuance for more in-depth discussions like the ones that can be had here or on Discord, though.

Here is the origin of the Strix Scale:
Code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mtgcube/comments/c2wyta/the_strix_scale_shorthand_for_cube_power_level/

Edit: Wait, I just pasted a link...
Kirb EDIT: Shoved it into code form as it was the only way to stop the whole reddit post from appearing in the forum. We'll see if we have a way to fix this.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's basically "your power level as a number", which as has been discussed here on multiple occasions isn't very useful most of the time except maybe in pretty narrow discussions.
A zero on the scale = a pile of random cards in a box
A ten on the scale = maxed out power cube (P9 etc)

The reddit post that describes this actually calls RTL out for rightly noting that this scale isn't very useful, and the user added a speed rating (slow to fast). Whether that adds much to the overall utility of the scale is uncertain.

Edit: yeah, that post that japahn added above.

landofMordor

Administrator
It's basically "your power level as a number", which as has been discussed here on multiple occasions isn't very useful most of the time except maybe in pretty narrow discussions.
A zero on the scale = a pile of random cards in a box
A ten on the scale = maxed out power cube (P9 etc)

The reddit post that describes this actually calls RTL out for rightly noting that this scale isn't very useful, and the user added a speed rating (slow to fast). Whether that adds much to the overall utility of the scale is uncertain.

Edit: yeah, that post that japahn added above.
Yep, I wrote it originally :) I wouldn't necessarily disavow it now, but I definitely think it's at its most useful when it's a new designer's first realization that power level drastically affects card choice (and that other options exist other than MTGOVC power levels).

Yep, I wrote it originally :) I wouldn't necessarily disavow it now, but I definitely think it's at its most useful when it's a new designer's first realization that power level drastically affects card choice (and that other options exist other than MTGOVC power levels).
I agree with this. The Strix Scale is a good tool for helping people figure out where they want their Cube to live in terms of power level, but it doesn't tell another person much about the actual makeup of the Cube itself.

I think your article about the First Four Questions a Cube Designer Should Ask (and the little questionnare one should fill out!) is an extremely useful tool for all designers.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
@James Stevenson

Is there a way to turn the auto-postifying feature off? It loads in after the rest of the page, rocketing you off to halfway up the page instead of at the new posts where you actually want to be.
It seems if you post a reddit link in any format the new forum code wants to show you the whole thing. I did a temp fix for now, as having a whole reddit post in one forum post is too chunky (especially in the narrow format it decided to display itself in).

I mean, the preview thing is cool and all, just not on reddit posts that large :rolleyes:

landofMordor

Administrator
Who here is excited for Amazon’s upcoming Middle Earth TV-show about the Second Age?
Lol despite the name, I'm actually lower on LotR than Star Wars, non-western fantasy, Magic, and other Star Wars content. "Mordor" is a holdover from 7th grade (ish), when I did things like memorize the poems inscribed inside The One Ring for fun.

But I'm still pumped for the TV show!

landofMordor

Administrator
I am....not. Part of the casting call included being being comfortable with nudity, and I don't want my Song of Ice and Fire anywhere near my Lord of the Rings.
Ew, what? Gross. I hope that doesn't come to pass, but it if does, I guess I'll just re-read The Dandelion Dynasty or The Stormlight Archive for the third time instead