Card/Deck Warriors Tribal Theme: Cards That Can Come Out to Play (and aren't parasitic)

So similar to the treatment Humans got in Innistrad, Warriors in Khan have been given quite a few tools to make them a considerable "incidental" tribe that may work very well in cube. It's no big secret to anyone that Warriors aren't the most flexible tribe like Zombies or Golems. What Warriors are aiming to do is turn sideways and turn sideways well. Depending on what incidental warriors already exist in cube, maybe we can make Warriors a bit more exciting somehow. But if not, I don't think it's the end of the world. Perhaps there's some interesting way to interwine Warriors with Humans or something. But that's why I started this thread. So good(or in the case of lower powered cubes, decent) cards and ideas could be shared concerning Warriors all in one place. Godspeed, gentlemen.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Nice Reference :p

There's a few incidental warriors:

But in terms of incentive cards...

Most of these seem pretty loose :p
I like Woe Reaper and Blood-Chin Rager, but most of the rest look like they need a HEAVY concentration of warriors to be good. I'd also recommend adding Bramblewood Paragon on the basis it helps in the +1/+1 counter deck: It's still just a bear, and trample isn't that necessary on small creatures like you'd have in the dedicated +1/+1 counter deck, who's strongest tie in cards are usually Ajani Goldmane and Curse of Predation

See now I didn't even know half of these existed. B/W seems like a solid chunk of where the warriors are at, with red & green having a few options to offer. Besides lords, does B/W have any good gold warriors?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
See now I didn't even know half of these existed. B/W seems like a solid chunk of where the warriors are at, with red & green having a few options to offer. Besides lords, does B/W have any good gold warriors?

That's it for {B}{W} gold warriors.

Edit: Putrid Warrior is one of only ten cards that mixes the soldier and warrior types. Seven of the ten are from Portal Three Kingdoms :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Chief of the Edge is not bad at all actually, it's base stats are already above the curve, and the power bonus is relevant if you run enough warriors. Attacking for 3 with Bloodsoaked Champion of Mardu Woe-Reaper is sweet!

Chief of the Scale is similarly relevant, though less so because you want to be aggressive with warriors. Let's your tiny butts survive against Lingering Souls tokens though.

I'm so disappointed that hordeling outburst isn't 3 warriors :( Maybe this can be a subtheme? Running woe-reaper and blood-chin rager seem like enough to start considering the density of your warrior count. Wheter it can be an explicit theme probably depends on the power bevel your running.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
What colors are you looking to run the theme in primarly?

Don't forget

Its probably one of your best support pieces. I'm guessing warriors is at least base white, and some of those cards could work as a sub theme to humans.

B/W is the base of the theme with red and green being strong supporters. I have been on a wedge cube project for months just tinkering around with the list until the whole block was out. That being said, I was gonna run a Humans theme but Warriors is a bit more fresh and seems like it could secretly be just as good.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Is this guy good enough in a slightly lower powered cube?

I run it now, over Zealous Conscripts. Conscripts was always a massive swing, it wins games out of nowhere. It's awesome, but super dangerous. Flamerush Rider is dope and does dope things. I've had tons of fun with him in various Khans drafts. One of my occasional drafters loves Kiki-Jiki and I've wanted a fair version of that for ages. Dash is also an awesome mechanic.

But actually I have no experience with it in cube so far.

Surely with most Dash creatures you'll eventually hit a point where you have too many other cards in hand that you'd like to play, so you need to pay the one-time fee and stop paying the monthly dues on it? Idk, I'm still in KTK land.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Dash creatures definitely decline in value when you draw more of them, Zurgo except (except of course in the case of drawing multiple Zurgos).

Bumping this thread. Battlebond featured a warrior theme and introduced more warriors and payoffs. Some of the rules text is a little cumbersome at the set is multiplayer/2HG

I am especially looking at: (as I also have a ferocious theme).

Najeela seems potentially explosive, but can also backfire if the opponent has changelings or warriors themselves. (you decline to make tokens)

Extended list:

Since this thread was created we have also seen the printing of the following cards (some of which are featured in my cube).

Modern Horizons also saw the printing of changelings - most notable of which are

There is at least a critical mass of cubable warriors - I have a harder time finding the right balance between the creatures and payoffs.

Bumping this thread. Battlebond featured a warrior theme and introduced more warriors and payoffs. Some of the rules text is a little cumbersome at the set is multiplayer/2HG

I am especially looking at: (as I also have a ferocious theme).

Najeela seems potentially explosive, but can also backfire if the opponent has changelings or warriors themselves.
Najeela is just a snowballing Goblin Rabblemaster. You decide wether or not the attacking player makes a token, so if your opponent has a warrior, you don't have to give them anything.

Most of the other warriors from battlebond proper are pretty bad, even if you have a ferocious theme. I think a warrior deck is going to be primarily consisting of the enablers from Khans block plus Mindblade Render and maybe Najeela if your cube is powerful enough to handle her.