General Weekend of Destruction

Twice each year, a dozen or so friends and I have a tradition of renting a large getaway house for a long weekend which has been dubbed the Weekend of Destruction. (This upcoming weekend will be like our 9th one.)

At these events we will spend our days and nights drafting, cubing, playing various board games, cooking tons of food, playing Sweet Day on Wii U, drinking and smoking, betting on Fire Pro Wrestling matches (computer players only), hot tubbing, grinding cutthroat games of Speed Quarters, and devolving into general destruction.

We've enjoyed many different MtG drafting inventions and our collective cube assortment has grown immensely. A friend of mine has created a Conspiracy cube, and we've agreed that if we're going to play multiplayer, we had best be drinking heavily. So, my question is:

What is the best implementation of a Magic drinking game?

One thing we've discussed is including custom cards. Here's one I came up with.

1412867587659407.png

Some base rule ideas: drink when you are attacked, when a permanent you control is destroyed, a spell is countered, etc.

Any other ideas?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Drink whenever your opponent plays a card containing the letter <letter of choice>, where letters appearing on less than 3000 unique cards are banned (that's j, q and y by the way)).
Drink twice whenever you play a counterspell, discard or land destruction spell.
Drink whenever you play more than one spell in a turn.
Drink whenever you play a spell in another player's turn.

Or use the Armada Games multiplayer rules, and drink whenever you get a point and twice whenever you gain a negative point. Tip: don't take extra turns! :)

Have you seen the Booze Cube?

also, that image appears to be baroque-en.

Fixed. That does sound familiar, but I have never seen or played it.

Edit: googled it, and wow. That is pretty much exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Does it actually play decently well as a cube? We were hoping to still have a fun and competitive round of magic. I'm also not sure if we want to be drinking every single time we play a card lol.

On a similar note, ideas for Mario Kart 8 drinking games? We've considered trying a race in which you must finish a beer before completing a lap.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Fixed. That does sound familiar, but I have never seen or played it.

Edit: googled it, and wow. That is pretty much exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Does it actually play decently well as a cube? We were hoping to still have a fun and competitive round of magic. I'm also not sure if we want to be drinking every single time we play a card lol.

On a similar note, ideas for Mario Kart 8 drinking games? We've considered trying a race in which you must finish a beer before completing a lap.

I've never actually played it, so I can't attest to its merits.

A beer per lap sounds like a lot. What's a typical Mario Kart level, like 3 laps in 5 minutes? You know your tolerances better than I do, but I can't imagine that amounts to a lot of racing. Maybe every time you wipe-out you have to take a drink (not an entire beer)? That way you have some fun dynamic.

I've never actually played it, so I can't attest to its merits.

A beer per lap sounds like a lot. What's a typical Mario Kart level, like 3 laps in 5 minutes? You know your tolerances better than I do, but I can't imagine that amounts to a lot of racing. Maybe every time you wipe-out you have to take a drink (not an entire beer)? That way you have some fun dynamic.
Yeah, the rule I suggested would probably be something we only try once. One drink per wipeout would def get more mileage.

This sounds so fun I'm super jealous

I really love this Boardgame Called Chaostle when I'm drinking because it's essentially Fantasy themed and more interactive "Sorry!". It's not quite mindless and always pretty entertaining, tracing a 3 dimensional multiple-coursed track to be the first one to bust into the keep at the middle, cutting up your friend's characters or falling into pits of snakes etc as you go. The game has a sense of humor too, which works pretty well when you're drinking. People into gaming and people who aren't so much will equally be able to enjoy the fast paced silly game.

ChaostleBoard_w561.jpg

As for booze cube, I'm sure there is something there but we may get frustrated trying to figure out how to make it "good" or "playable" if we were to actually draft it. Maybe put some thought into your own format.