Site News We're migrating server! - Monday, March 8th

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Hey all! We'll be moving the site to a new server on March 8th.

We'll freeze the forum while we're moving. You'll still be able to browse, but you won't be able to post. If all goes well this shouldn't take very long.

The site may disappear entirely if anything interesting happens, it will reappear shortly if nothing else interesting happens.

This probably isn't quite the right thread for it, but oh well: I use an ad blocker and want to chip in a couple dollars to server costs in lieu of disabling it. Is there a good way to do that?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
So what’s the upgrades?

Upgrades will come later. This move was about switching from our expensive host to a cheaper one that James already pays for. We're looking to upgrade XenForo to get things like registration / login via Google or other options working, and customizing the site in other ways (hosting a draft app, for example).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
This probably isn't quite the right thread for it, but oh well: I use an ad blocker and want to chip in a couple dollars to server costs in lieu of disabling it. Is there a good way to do that?

That's very friendly of you. So far our goal hasn't really been to make money off the site (and so far we haven't), but any money we've gotten from ads for example has gone into covering costs.

In the future things may change. We don't currently have any plans for a patreon or whatnot.

Currently the best easy (free) ways to support us are:
- follow the Twitch channel. We're about 15 followers from affiliate status, which would allow people to use their Amazon prime subscriptions to support the community. All funds there will be invested into site upgrades and digital cube cards.
- subscribe on YouTube. If we get enough subscribers there monetization will kick in.

Neither of the above are super urgent. If people are interested in supporting in other ways you can let us know, but honestly we're fairly self sufficient currently.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Upgrades will come later. This move was about switching from our expensive host to a cheaper one that James already pays for. We're looking to upgrade XenForo to get things like registration / login via Google or other options working, and customizing the site in other ways (hosting a draft app, for example).
As long as I can still login without Google. I make a habit of not connecting my Google account to every damn site that needs an account.

Jason

Cutting expenses is also an upgrade! Hurraaa

Can you post a link to the Twitch channel?

I agree with Onde about the login. Current users already have a login and whenever a site forces its users to either use Google or Twitch to login, they certainly lose more than they gain.

That's very friendly of you. So far our goal hasn't really been to make money off the site (and so far we haven't), but any money we've gotten from ads for example has gone into covering costs.

BRB, revising my mental image of Robber Baron Jason Waddell with his twisted scheme to profit off of all fifty people in the cube community :)

For real though, things cost money and I happen to like this thing. It sort of feels like not tipping at a restaurant or jamming out a street musician and then stiffing them. If upping the site's subscriber count is the best way to do this, that's easy enough!