General What websites do you use to order cards from?

Just curious to see what websites people order cards from. Australia has unfortunately minimal selection and/or over inflated prices. So I tend to source from o/s. Also these kind of threads help everyone! \o/

What websites have you found reliable?
What websites have been reasonably priced?
What websites have been good to find the not so easy to find cards - commons etc.?
What ebay sellers have been good that you have used?
Other comments etc. etc.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
For local Toronto people: MTGIsland.com. Low prices, half decent selection, and not only is there a go pick it up option, there's a "fuck paying with paypall, show up with cash and we both get more" option if you're nice to the guy

The business is different for Canadians. It took WAY too much fighting to get my credit card validated to pass Starcity's rigorous distrust of banks (because america sucks and has 10 billion mom and pop shops with no credibility) so I try and keep local whenever I can.

Other than that, CFB I guess?
Jason are you obligated to plug them? Is that a term of the writing deal? :p

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I really like adventureson.com for old-ass, hard to find commons and uncommons, along with bulk rares. They stock lots of 'em at pretty reasonable prices. If they're out of stock on anything, they have an option where they'll track it down for you, though that can sometimes add a month of delay. No idea what the shipping would be to Australia, though.

CFB is pretty sweet because when you hit $50, the shipping is free (at least to Canada)! So I go there when I want to order a bunch of more expensive Standard staples.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Other than that, CFB I guess?
Jason are you obligated to plug them? Is that a term of the writing deal? :p

I'm not obligated to do shit. :) But, I will say one thing. If CFB hadn't accepted my application, I wouldn't have tried to write anywhere else. They've been my favorite Magic site for as long as I've been playing. Their shop UI can be clunky at times (if you don't know about their Wishlist mode: http://store.channelfireball.com/products/multi_search), but delivery has always been super fast and well done. I get my cards, even in Belgium, within a week, and shipping only costs $5-$8. It's even free beyond some threshold.

The other resource I have used is MagicCardMarket.eu, which was fine but tedious.

CML

Contributor
The store is poorly stocked and run with the abortive CrystalCommerce, but I second their professionalism and excellent service. However, the prices are pretty bad (though better than SCG's) and if I may plug a site I used to write for (and otherwise dislike) I really can't see ordering from anywhere but the TCGplayer.com aggregator, I've never had a problem with any of the suppliers and software like the 'optimizer' (for triangulating good card prices with good shipping prices) which you might expect to be implemented clunkily elsewhere is quite good.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Here in the UK I use magicmadhouse.co.uk, but it always feels a little overpriced. The other option is magiccardmarket.eu, but it's such a pain in the ass when you're looking for more than one card. Mostly I try to bum cards off my friends when I can.

TCGplayer to at least find cards; if I end up ordering a lot of cards from one site I go to that store's site itself (which is pretty often). eBay to snipe badly-listed foils and "I want this sold" buy-it-nows.

I've had problems with a single TCGplayer seller: the card was 3 weeks late and they gave me a 10% kickback (which wasn't even a dollar), and TCGplayer's automated messaging stuff forced them to re-contact me after I gave them a bad review even though we had already had a back-and-forth about it.

eBay has also only ever given me a single 'problem' with a late card, and the seller contacted ME only a single day after I ordered; the card was only a day outside of shipping time and they had attached two normal copies of the foil I ordered as an apology, so that was a little absurd.

I use Magiccardmarket.eu, since I both sell and buy my cards there, being a broke student and all, it helps me manage my manic buying habits.

VibeBox

Contributor
software like the 'optimizer' (for triangulating good card prices with good shipping prices) which you might expect to be implemented clunkily elsewhere is quite good.

ugh, i made the mistake of using the "optimizer" once, and it ruined a couple hours worth of sorting cards by this site and that for lowest price, andd added 35 bucks to my order with no option to go back. never again.
other than that i like the site and aggregator nature. best way to buy in bulk imo

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I never really got TCGplayer to work for me, it was always ordering 30 different cards from 25 different retailers, so I was paying shipping a million times over and it ended up being triple the overhead to try and make it work.

CML

Contributor
weird, this never happened to me. but one should never underestimate the ineptitude of a site trying to make a profit off a game deliberately designed to make it hard to impossible ...

I never really got TCGplayer to work for me, it was always ordering 30 different cards from 25 different retailers, so I was paying shipping a million times over and it ended up being triple the overhead to try and make it work.

I'm not very bright do TCGplayer looked too complicated without paying a fortune to multiple ppl in shipping.

I will check out the others - keep em coming. Cheers :)