General Which Shard/Wedge/Guild name is least intuitive to you

"The Rock" wasn't just "a BG deck", it was "The Rock and his Millions", a specific two card combo. Those all became "The Rock", but "Junk" came not from 'the rock' as a name but from the (at the time) fact that it was "Janky Jund", or 'worse jund', therefore 'junk'.

e: wow, no, I was wrong! LOVE the history of this game of ours.
VVV

Last edited:
"The Rock" wasn't just "a BG deck", it was "The Rock and his Millions", a specific two card combo. Those all became "The Rock", but "Junk" came not from 'the rock' as a name but from the (at the time) fact that it was "Janky Jund", or 'worse jund', therefore 'junk'.

I thought that's why it was called Junk as well, but apparently the original Junk (GBW) deck predates Shards of Alara. The deck was just a pile of midrange non-synergistic goodstuff (i.e. junk), so similar in style to what Jund would become. But the name definitely had a resurgance as a comparison to Jund.

According to https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/22m111/why_is_the_wbg_color_combo_called_junk_and_is/ and other google sources anyway.

For me it's the Tarkir ones. Maybe it's because I started playing circa 2008 so Alara was new as me to the game, and it wasn't difficult to learn the Bant, Esper, Grixis, Jund and Naya. But when Tarkir came out, I had some problem distinguishing between Mardu and Temur and Sultai.

For me the five wedges are: Canadian, UWR (pronounced "u-w-r"), Junk and BUG (pronounced "bug"). Usually the mardu one is one of red orzhov, black boros or white rakdos

yeah my brain will definitely remember a connection between those three random colors and all that lmao.

That color combo clearly needs to be called Eritrean.