General Wishlist for MH3 Archetypes: What’s Yours?

Well you are in luck.

On of the good changes they made to the game a few years ago was to include an existing keyword in each set. For March of the Machines it is convoke but every set has a returning keyword or mechanic of some sort.

landofMordor

Administrator
This is a fun topic! Thanks OP :)

For me part of the MH product's appeal is to bash together wacko keywords in ways that didn't get to happen in Standard, and without as tight a complexity budget. The pushed power level is really tangential; what matters here is that WotC provides Cube designers opportunities to expand specific mechanics in architectures that aren't possible in Standard.

Companions - I'd be willing to give Companions a second shot. These are amazing build-arounds in Limited, even if they're ruinous in Constructed. There might be one or two healthy designs left in this mechanic, and this would be their chance to print it. (Maybe the opposite of this, but still really cool: Grandeur)

Backup - Wow I love this mechanic. Already hoping for more of it.

Decayed - this brought super unique gameplay to MID but only within 2 colors. If, e.g., the {R}{G}{B} wedge got ahold of Decayed, it'd be sick to see how {G} uses them for cheap Alliance, {R} for cheap sacrifice fodder, and {B} for the Zombie-ness (for example)

{W}{R}{G} land-types matter - Specifically oriented around Zoo and about really min-maxing one's manabase to turn on little proactive Sejiri Merfolk-esque upsides. Some crossover here with Domain, but these designs are dialed in a little tighter than the typical Domain of "draft all 5 colors by default".

Raid, Bloodthirst - both sicko combat-matters keywords that incidentially teach new players that the second main phase is where business gets done.

Lesson/Learn - speaking of cool Draft incentives!

A unifying theme: mechanics that create an open-ended playground with unintuitive solutions.

I would really like to see the following:
{W}{U} Based Adventure bleeding into {B}{R}{G}.
Adventure is my favorite recent mechanic, and I would love some more constructed-power level Adventure cards. Specifically, I'd like to see some more blue tempo Adventures like Brazen Borrower and Hypnotic Sprite with a power level somewhere between those two cards.

{U}{B} Zombies
I like Zombies and want them to be Cubable as a draft archetype. In retail limited, this could bleed into W/G with Embalm.

{B}{R} Targeted Harassment
Hand Hate+Burn. Maybe some Blackmail Effects? I could also see an Artifact Sacrifice deck in this slot.

{G}{W} Populate//Embalm
I want so many tokens that Ebenezer Scrooge is going to go on a rant about decreasing the surplus population! The big difference: when creatures die, I want them to come back embalmed!

{W}{B} Constellation
I just want to play Underworld Coinsmith! Also, make it the Journey into Nyx style self-triggering constellations, none of this THB "can't trigger myself" stuff!

{B}{G} Graveyard Stuff.
Title. Maybe Hooting Mandrills style delve? I would love more creatures to power out off of my Satyr Wayfinders!

{G}{U} Investigate
Enough Clues for an archetype, please!

{U}{R} Prowess/Different Noncreature Spell Types Matter
I'd love to see more Prowess cards in U/R, but I think it would be especially cool if there were some cards that gave you different rewards depending on whether you cast a s

{R}{W} Heroic
Would play well with U/W Adventure, W/B Constellation, and U/R Prowess. That's all.

I'm with you on flashback being evergreen, but I don't think madness is a good fit for a deciduous mechanic. There's a lot of weird complexity there, and it requires a lot of support in a set.
You're right, I know.

But honestly, I wouldn't mind one set a year with it.

You could also put blood tokens in or what about a set with learn?

Lessons and learn + adventures are my favorite. Okay I have changed my mind. Now they are my wishes.

We are going back to Eldraine in the Standard set after the next Standard set by the way.

Lessons and learn + adventures are my favorite. Okay I have changed my mind. Now they are my wishes.

We are going back to Eldraine in the Standard set after the next Standard set by the way.
Technically, Wilds of Eldraine is the next set. March of the Machine AFTERMATH is a supplemental expansion, not filling the premiere expansion slot for Q3. Speaking of endless spoiler season...Aftermath story starts in 3 weeks, with spoilers the two days afterwards!

edit: I should go on the record and say that I still like endless spoiler season, I'm just being cute about it here...

I haven't been to a prerelease for a while but I don't want to miss Eldraine. It's easily my favorite new plane from the past ten years.

Technically, Wilds of Eldraine is the next set. March of the Machine AFTERMATH is a supplemental expansion, not filling the premiere expansion slot for Q3.

I didn’t say it was a premiere expansion slot set. Just that we are going back to Eldraine in the Standard set after the next Standard set.

Some people don’t follow all the news rigorously but still appreciate the information being shared on Riptidelab. So I shared :)

Well you're right; all of them are deciduous as of All Will Be One!

Correct!

Here is the definition of dediduous in Magic (in my words):

The oracle text is updated on all past cards with the mechanic. They will use these cards often but not in every set. We will probably see a full Standard cycle without the mechanic every now and then but every set has at least some of these.

And officially here is the full list:

Affinity
Anchor word (That’s this — line)
Battle
Cantrip spells
Charge counters
Colored artifacts
Curses
Cycling
Double-faced cards
Enchantment creatures
Flashback
Hybrid mana {B/R}
Keyword counters
Kicker
Landfall
Generic cost cards that aren’t artifacts (Mysterious Egg)
Phasing
Protection (Did you guys know this?)
Prowess
Sagas
Split cards
Surveil
Vanilla creatures
Vehicle

And all these tokens:
Blood (Did you guys know this?)
Clue
Food