Your "Never Ever" Archetypes

Just a general question; what are some archetypes or gameplay pillars you would like to see in a cube environment, that there currently doesn't exist support for, whether that is because of power-level reasons, color diversity, card density, or just because it outright doesn't exist? I'm looking for inspiration for custom card designs, so feel free to go as wild as possible, given it's something that you earnestly perceive as desirable, and not just to be wacky.

As an example, a gameplay mechanic I've toyed with for a long time is the concept of graveyard cultivation, where you are encouraged to manage the content of your graveyard in a way where the presence and absence of cards in your graveyard are equally important, so that you can't just simply play a lot of self-mill to turn it on. An example from old-school magic would be Death Spark, while a more modern iteration that doesn't rely on graveyard-order could be Surreal Memoir.

Sideboard cascade! It's like cascade, but you pull cards from your sideboard instead of your deck. As a draft-centric format with a very low number of duds, I think we're especially well-positioned to experiment with this and other sideboards-matter cards.

In a similar vein, draft-matters cards that don't either stink or break powermax cubes would be great. Currently the only one I'm actively interested in is a bunch of Deal Brokers.

landofMordor

Administrator
Huh, I assumed "never ever" meant "even if it's the only archetype WotC prints from now on, I will never support it", so I came here to hate-post about lifegain decks and Ajani's Pridemate.

But, having actually read the OP, I love the gameplay and cross-pollination potential of Learn/Lesson. Discard outlets in all 5 colors? Instants and sorceries in all 5 colors? A way to get sideboard equity in game 1 in Limited? Flood mitigation? Sign me up! It's just a bummer that the current density is such that a 360 cube can't really make it consistent without major singleton breaks, which compounds the same-y gameplay that repeatable tutors already lean into.

I read Death Spark for the first time last week and was shocked. No pun intended. Such metal art, but such a meaninglessly complicated text box that it makes me question whether a basic Mountain offers better win equity.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
But, having actually read the OP, I love the gameplay and cross-pollination potential of Learn/Lesson. Discard outlets in all 5 colors? Instants and sorceries in all 5 colors? A way to get sideboard equity in game 1 in Limited? Flood mitigation? Sign me up! It's just a bummer that the current density is such that a 360 cube can't really make it consistent without major singleton breaks, which compounds the same-y gameplay that repeatable tutors already lean into.
Running a lower power cube, I'm loving the shit out of Learn/Lesson. It's such a great mechanic, and I'm happy I added it to my cube. I definitely had to use a few customs though.

Huh, I assumed "never ever" meant "even if it's the only archetype WotC prints from now on, I will never support it", so I came here to hate-post about lifegain decks and Ajani's Pridemate.
I feel like lifegain archetypes can be non-toxic, but I agree that "just permanently make your creatures super big lol" really isn't a good way to go about it.

As for what I want... I want -1/-1 counter support in all five colors.

The thing about lifegain is that there are interesting ways to handle it... it's just that it's probably going to look more like Lifelink Tribal (feat: Duskfang Mentor and Path of Bravery) than Soul Sisters. At least then the archetype wouldn't be a hard counter to good ol' Lightning Bolt.

I would love to support Madness but the cards with the actual mechanic are very weak nowadays. Similarly, I want a very large amount of good flashback cards. I want all colors to have their own Firebolts.

I want a colorless Naturalize. Yes, I said it.

I want a fixed Skullclamp.

I want more green or just plain colored artifacts.

Less warlocks, clerics and other nonsense and more non-blue wizards.

Quirion Dryad and Deeproot Champion for 2022 power levels. Starting as a 2/2 seems the least you can do.

Good blue 1 drops.

Edit: Non-land Stifle

Last edited:
I have! But it doesn't look much like a one drop, does it?
I think it's a one-drop for U/x tempo that can be a powerful four-drop when you draw it late.

Or, as Zoss said, it's a very good enabler for the Ninja deck that also acts as a late-game payoff.

It's almost like Heiroglyphic Illumination in a weird sense because it's a card you usually play for one-mana with a powerful four-mana mode when you can play it effectively.