General Zendikar Rising - Magic Panel

I wouldn't expect to see any mechanics yet. This is going to be one of those panels where we see a bunch of art and get some thematic hints about the feel. Maybe a look at the face walker of the set.

Yeah I think so too. Probably just the flavor and feeling of the plane more than the mechanics and the gameplay.

I personally liked both:
Landfall
Traps
Quests

Hope to see all three returning but I obviously doubt they’re being 3 returning mechanics.

I'm not excited for return to Zendikar. I always felt like the Eldrazi were the most interesting part of the world (although WOTC did a horrible job with them in BFZ), but now they're gone. In addition, it seems like large swaths of the world were destroyed during our last visit to Zendikar. Where are we going to adventure in a scarred world?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Kozilek and Ulamog were defeated circa 4559, Emrakul was sealed in Innistrad's moon in the next year. The story on Ikoria takes place circa 4662, another two years later. Zendikar will take place after that, so it had a few years to recover a bit. Also, the old ruins weren't necessarily lost to the Eldrazi, and their presence may actually have revealed new ruins. Who knows?

I agree the ominous hidden truth about Zendikar’s evil past was the most interesting part of the plane. Of any plane actually in my opinion. The lie that was revealed had such impact on the story of the plane. Like a big puzzle where things didn’t really make 100 % sense before (What are the hedrons and why are so many objects floating around in the air?) but you bought the story anyway. And then suddenly everything changed and the pieces fell together perfectly. It felt like Game of Thrones before the TV show but on a grander scale.

However the adventure part is cool too and I think the second return set will be a hit.

Speculation

If I were Wizards I would do a quest mechanic with double-faced cards where the front side is the quest challenge and the back side is the reward for completing the quest. It would fit the world of Zendikar and it would be in line with Wizards policy about using old mechanics in new ways.

Speculation

If I were Wizards I would do a quest mechanic with double-faced cards where the front side is the quest challenge and the back side is the reward for completing the quest. It would fit the world of Zendikar and it would be in line with Wizards policy about using old mechanics in new ways.

That sounds like a plausible twist on the quest mechanism using current magic technology. It would need to be distinct from the Ixalan transform lands. Maybe the cards could start off as lands (and so trigger Landfall) then transform into the permanent unearthed at that location. Lands that transform could also have a gameplay advantage, preventing flooding late game.

My sons say that the Ixalan transform cards, along with sagas, are some of their favourites, because of how the flavour and gameplay combine to tell a little story.

My sons say that the Ixalan transform cards, along with sagas, are some of their favourites, because of how the flavour and gameplay combine to tell a little story.

Adopt me!
I could be your son.

If (back when) Planeswalkers were scarse, they would also be cool and tell a story. But every set has them.

Ps. You would have to adopt my wife too. I need her. Pros: You get to play with my Magic collection!

What we learned:

We saw packages and the planeswalkers will be Jace, Nissa and Nahiri. Full art Basic lands is a Zendikar thing and will be back. They will probably be stunningly beautiful and anyone who tells you Hedrons shouldn’t be on the art has no idea what Zendikar is :) Just send them to me and I’ll show them the door :p

292F486B-C081-42C2-B294-1A2238FEAB11.png

From Zendikar and onward two new things will happen:
1. A new booster pack is introduced called the Set Pack. It will have a much more diverse content and be a lot more interesting if you are not looking to draft or collect a lot of commons. It will be terrible for drafting. It is structured like this:

DA5844B2-9CD4-48E6-A25D-C83D96859398.png

2. The List is being introduced. This will be an ongoing feature. In every set there is a chance to open a card from ‘The List’ when you open one of these new Set Packs as it has a 25 % chance to replace the token at the end of the pack. It is like what we saw in Mystery Booster except the cards on The List continues from set to set almost unchanged. So people will learn to remember which cards are on The List and it will probably be an event each new set when Wizards announce which cards will enter and leave The List.

You can read about it all in details here:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/set-boosters-2020-07-25

i LOVE landfall, and what i hope comes with it is some killer duals and utility lands, ESPECIALLY with hedrons in the art!
i can ALWAYS make room for more cool hedron-y lands! my basics box is all-ROE!

Excluding one color and doing the rest of the combinations is the only way I can think of to get to 6. (edit: without arbitrarily excluding or adding anything assymetrically) You could do that, except give them all the land type of that missing color, similar to Murmuring Bosk. For example, a cycle of six plains that produce two different colors of non-white mana. You could mischievously call them dual lands.

Edit: I hadn't thought of how easily a plains fetch makes those into a 5 color mana base, so that wouldn't reach print. But they could still exclude a color and pick the other six combinations, either tying the missing color in somehow or simply ignoring it.

Edit2: They also might simply have a set of 6 out of the 10 color pairs in mind that work together well for some purpose, leaving out the other four pairs. They did that with the Lorwyn tribal lands.

No clue on the 6 dual lands. My Wild guess:

Maybe a land that may produce either a color and/or a mana of any color. Those could be done in a cycle of 6 if we count each monocolor plus colorlesss.

Prismatic Plains
Land - Rare
CARDNAME enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add W
T: Add one mana of any color for a cost.

Cycled up

Not going to spam a non-custom thread with custom cards so I’ll leave it at this.

——

I really enjoy Bolas’ question for Mark :p Was a cute way of letting us know that Bolas is plotting his escape. Even though Mark told is Wizards are not planning on it happening anytime soon.

——

I also really liked Mark going into small details about how Zendikar came to be. No new information was shared but it is always good to tell the story again because many new people have started playing Magic since 2009. He left out a big part: The people of Zendikar believed in the gods Cosi, Ula and Emeria but the gods were a lie and were instead the multiverse’s biggest threat (if it isn’t Bolas or Phyrexia) the Eldrazi titans Kozilek. Ulamog and Emrakul. Thousands of years had past and the people of Zendikar forgot the Eldrazi and replaced them in their minds with fake gods without knowing it. What a horrible surprise it must have been during Rise of the Eldrazi. I understand why he left it out though. We’re not really focused on Eldrazi anymore. When Mark showed us some art from the upcoming Zendikar Rising there was a picture of an angel with its eyes covered in a blinding halo. I am surprised they still have those. The Eldrazi titans forced the angels to become blinded by the terrible truth. It was a way to mock the angels. This was before they were released. Only Iona was allowed to see because she was a herald of Emrakul.

Also Zendikar had the first interesting super-rare cards. One card every 20 booster box (or so) had 1 card replaced by a super rare. It could be any money card from the past. BETA Black Lotus, Demonic Tutor etc. This was done to imitate the treasures and the adventure feel of Zendikar. When we returned to Zendikar we got the first Masterpieces such as the Zendikar Expeditions like fetch lands.

Pretty exciting stuff. For Standard it also means rotation which I believe a lot of people are looking forward to.

The link to the video is here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NqoFes1rJ0c

Another speculation:

We will see hedrons have fallen to the ground because there are no longer anything keeping them in the air. Possibly on the Basic lands. The hedron leyline network was magically constructed to keep the Eldrazi in prison. This would be the change I would make to hedrons. Maybe some would even be beneath growing vines, almost covered and forgotten. Or deep in swamps where you can only see the tip like icebergs.

Smart of you to mention swamps this time ;)

I'm not much of a lore guy, but that's basically what I'd expect for the hedrons. A thing of the past that will likely always be there.

Please god don't give me more hedron land art. It was cool the first go around, but I'm sick and tired of so many random cards having hedrons in theme. It made a lot of the Expeditions less impressive in BFZ with over-saturation. It's been played out like Bolas's horns were on Amonkhet.