The Music Thread

Anyone here enjoy the less palatable music genres?
I've learned to tolerate some mainstream, Ozzfest type metal. black label society dimmu borgir and so on.

Also I don't mind the beastie boys, which is pretty unpalatable.

Mostly I just want to listen to Lykke Li or gaming-friendly no-lyrics music.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
This has been running around in my head for weeks now.
Best music video I've seen in a while, very daft punk-y

There was something very familiar about this clip when I was watching it. I don't know what it was. The Scooby-doo-esque plot, the Crypt of the Necromancer style villian (along with beat head-bobbing). It was rattling my brain while getting engrossed by the videos story. Then after it had finished (and I was pleasantly surprised) I noticed one of their other videos, the Phoenix Wright style one (money) that I had seen two months ago.
I guess that is why the video felt familiar. I still don't really know. It was a great listen though anyway.

Also, main reason I am posting in this forum is that I have invites to a (private?) music torrent tracker. So if you are real into music and can help seed for the community then PM me and I'll throw you an invite.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There was something very familiar about this clip when I was watching it. I don't know what it was. The Scooby-doo-esque plot, the Crypt of the Necromancer style villian (along with beat head-bobbing). It was rattling my brain while getting engrossed by the videos story. Then after it had finished (and I was pleasantly surprised) I noticed one of their other videos, the Phoenix Wright style one (money) that I had seen two months ago.
I guess that is why the video felt familiar. I still don't really know. It was a great listen though anyway.

Also, main reason I am posting in this forum is that I have invites to a (private?) music torrent tracker. So if you are real into music and can help seed for the community then PM me and I'll throw you an invite.

Crypt of the Necrodancer you mean? Awesome game! :)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I prefer stuff with harsh vocals, but some of the following has clean vox (linking to songs, but mentioning albums):

Alkaloid "The Malkuth Grimoire (Year's favorite. progressive, melodic death metal. clean vox at moments.)

Insert other albums here...

So I was looking to find more metal and thought you would be the perfect guy to ask. The only problem is that I am not a harsh vocals man. I like stuff you can sing along to. The Alkaloid album you mentioned is getting close to the stuff I listen to. I've been really into Amon Amarth as of late, which sound a little similar (I may have just lost all my street cred with you with that sentence).

I am also into the 'mainstream' metal bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, In Flames and Mastodon (Leviathan was sweeet).

I guess power metal, heavy metal, melodic death metal are what I am into. Clean vox, sick riffs and a story to tell. That is what I am after out of my metal songs. Anything anyone can think to recommend me?

Also, this has apparently made its rounds on the internet ages ago, but I only just found out about them. Not really what I was after but hey, it has clean vox and sick riffs. This will probably become a guilty pleasure:

... Amon Amarth ... 'mainstream' metal bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, In Flames and Mastodon (Leviathan was sweeet). ... Baby Metal

I have to admit that I've watched Baby Metal youtube videos a nonzero amount of times :) I've also seen Mastodon live a few times (and also thoroughly enjoy Leviathan). But I am surprised that Amon Amarth is your jam, if you don't like gruff vox!

Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
Progressive black metal band with a haunting vocal style that transitions from singing to rasping mid-word at times. The songs midpaced epicness evoke a forlorned Amon Amarth for me

Mercenary - The Hours That Remain
Power/melodic heavy metal ventures into extreme metal songwriting

Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine
Devin Townsend, former Steve Vai vocalist, puts out a lot of progressive metal albums (and this is my favorite).

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
One-of-a-kind avantgarde black metal/industrial craziness. One later track features Ihsahn of the band Emperor (and has very harsh vocals).

Soen - Cognitive
Obviously takes cues from Tool/A Perfect Circle, but has a lot of variation in their songs.

Pain - Dancing with the Dead
Pop metal from Hypocrisy's Peter Tagtgren. This might scratch your baby metal itch. Cannot find a full album link of Rebirth, but also great: End of the Line / On and On

Therion - Sirius B / Lemura
Hard to believe this used to be a mostly standard death metal band. Double album that is closer to listening to an opera/symphony than a metal cd.

If you like the death metal approach of Amon Amarth and In Flames, also make sure to listen to some Dark Tranquillity if you haven't!