The Music Thread

I like rediscovering stuff on my iPod after months, maybe even a year, of not listening to certain albums/artists. Here's a good one:

That's been a fave of mine for a long time, shamizy! As in I actually have it in my Favorites list in grooveshark! The whole album is pretty decent, if samey. It's a good single song in a playlist that you listen to actively while working out, or you can let the sameyness of the album work in your favor as background music when you're focusing on a task.

PS the new Mountain Goats album is nuts.

I've been riding a bike to my summer job for about a week and it's given me like half an hour to listen to old albums off my iPod I haven't heard in a while. I rediscovered this gem.

Randomly heard these songs after I left Youtube on autoplay while doing other stuff. Promptly went ahead and downloaded their best of album.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Can't get enough of this song:

Edit: Also, if you like Frontier Psychiatrist, try this:

Edit2: And this song is great any time of the year. Ben Caplan is awesome, and so is Katzenjammer to be honest :)

Edit3: Oh man, I can keep going today...

Anyone else like PCMUSIC? it's kind of like bubblegum pop meets vaporwave turned to eleven, I'm really into it again lately. (maybe also it's musicians who love Aphex Twin and Aqua equally)

there's a lot of it that i think doesn't diverge from normative pop enough and isn't catchy enough to make that work either but here's a few of my faves:

Anyone here enjoy the less palatable music genres? Been a decent year for albums in the metallic sphere, but if no one cares, no reason to share! (I changed my avatar picture just to post on this thread. I can now soundly recommend to never put makeup over facial hair.)

Anyone here enjoy the less palatable music genres? Been a decent year for albums in the metallic sphere, but if no one cares, no reason to share! (I changed my avatar picture just to post on this thread. I can now soundly recommend to never put makeup over facial hair.)

I like metal but I don't listen to enough of it. What's stood out to you this year?

What's stood out to you this year?

I prefer stuff with harsh vocals, but some of the following has clean vox (linking to songs, but mentioning albums):

Alkaloid "The Malkuth Grimoire (Year's favorite. progressive, melodic death metal. clean vox at moments.)

Violet Cold "Desperate Dreams" (Euphoric black metal w/ heavy synths. I didn't enjoy Deafheaven's "Sunbather", but I really enjoy this.)

Terminal Function "Clockwork Sky" (Peppy, Meshuggah-styled "djent". I still think of it as prog tech death, but this guy sings during rare moments.)

Sarpanitum "Blessed Be My Brothers" (My second favorite of the year. Melodic/brutal death metal. And the lyrics are based on Mesopotamia.)

Cattle Decapitation "The Anthropocene Extinction" (This long-running deathgrind act are much more versatile than ever, still sharing their gruesome take on environmentalism. There are even tortured clean singing bits on this album!)

Sigh "Graveward" (3rd place for me. Avant-garde black metal with orchestral elements & sporadic clean vocals. IIRC, this is themed after assorted B horror movies.)

Enslaved "In Times" (Prog black metal. This band was great live both times I've seen them.)

Iniquitous Deeds "Incessant Hallucinations" (Brutal death metal. Normally, I don't like this style, but ID is groovy in a way that I appreciate. Also, the YouTube comment, "That fucking final whammy riff makes me want to crip walk into a black hole," really resonated with me. Try to listen to whole song, even if your good sense advises you to turn it off; the whammy riff is worth it!)

Anyone here enjoy the less palatable music genres?
I listen to a variety of electronic music, some of which people seem to hate. Venetian Snares is one my favorites but I think it's largely considered unacceptable.

I had a period of time where I was more into metal years ago, but since then I've only followed specific bands and now tend to only pursue the more experimental heavy stuff. Melt-Banana, for example, scratches an itch that no one else can scratch.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I listen to a variety of electronic music, some of which people seem to hate. Venetian Snares is one my favorites but I think it's largely considered unacceptable.

I think I listened to a Venetian Snares album once. His big one, whatever it is. The whole thing was the amen break, and even though he chopped it up enough, it just got boring.
This is the song that made me curious:
Which I first heard in this dope ass set by Den Sorte Skole:

Den Sorte Skole are awesome, they just put out a new album:
https://soundcloud.com/densorteskole/den-sorte-skole-indians-cowboys
It's a bit weird, but super cool. Everything is vinyl samples.