Sets Spoilers Over Innistrad (Digest)

Aoret

Developer
I mean... we all know where I stand on this one >_>

I say have at it RBM! I'd go with up to 4 per deck as BLB freebies. I'm interested to hear your results :)

Just won a game with triskadekaphobia. Card is sweet. Was a little mini game to get then to exactly 13, then played it out.

Any thoughts from anyone on Hanweir Militia Captain? I completely missed it during spoiler season and just got one in a SOI draft. I push human tribal pretty hard.
I'm guessing it's a little slow to flip. Has anyone tried it?

Milita feels kind of like a token card. Those deck don't have to invest fully as much in cards to get as a board presence, so flipping it will be realistic. Playing militia captain with spectral procession seems gross, but she might also just be a bear.

Hanweir Militia Captain seems very win-more to me, and not terribly exciting on a flip. She'll be a bear 90% of the time, and token decks already have more than enough options for steamrolling people without a "make more tokens after you've made enough tokens to make the token-maker make tokens" card.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I think I'd be excited about her if her front side was marginally more interesting, because as RavebornMuse notes, she's not likely to flip in every game she's cast. She's probably a vigilance or first strike keyword away from playable.

I think I'd be excited about her if her front side was marginally more interesting, because as RavebornMuse notes, she's not likely to flip in every game she's cast. She's probably a vigilance or first strike keyword away from playable.

I kind of wish maybe she had a "when ~ etb, gain 1 life, then gain 1 life for each creature you control" or something. Now that's some solid durdle potential!

Any thoughts on Rabid Bite? It really blew me away how strong it was in limited, and performed a lot better than I expected. I think instant speed would've pushed it into clear playability, but are any of you fine folks considering playing it in your cubes?

I added it to my cube but it didn't come up in this last weekend's draft.

Two cards did come up though. Tireless Tracker was awesome. Took over a game. Sin Prodder was awesome. I lost to it in a weird aggro/midrange Temur deck that did damage to me early and then starting flipping 4+ mana cards and basically giving me no options. And menace was super relevant against me in this case (I rarely draft Rx anything).

I was against menace at first since it's a rip off of fear (which has more flavor IMO), but I've really warmed up to it.

EDIT: I still confuse menace and intimidate.

Derailing ever-so-slightly to a post that would fit in like, half a dozen other threads here...

What are our thoughts on including Evolving Wilds
a) in the basic land box
b) as a free-2-of to each player, or
c) just as picks in the ULD?

edit: consider this: the added ~tension~ of more CIPT lands supporting midrange plans to the benefit of aggressive decks who might be able to ~leverage~ those ~tempo losses~ to a victory

Hi, I have done this two different ways. I have one cube with a main-cube land section of 40-50 wilds, and one cube with 10 Wilds in the ULD. My observations:
-fixing is easy. Instead of the life cost of a modern/legacy manabase, you lose tempo and chances at drawing more land later
-delirium gets easier and so does delve
-the game slows down since everyone's playing CIPT lands. Turn 2 aggro decks still work great because people WILL build greedy bomb piles
-you have to carefully plan when to play and crack your wildses, and you have to remember how many of each basic you're running because it WILL become an issue in 3+ color decks
-it is easy to get your colors but hard to get to 6+ mana since you're pulling lots of lands out of your deck. The aforementioned greedy control decks should consider running 18+ lands. This phenomenon also makes 6+ cost bombs feel less broken because they tend to come out a bit late.

Is all this good or bad for your format? You decide!

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
This is a very interesting draft format. There is so many different things you can do. I thought I was going to lose straight up in my 4-3-2-2 after I drafted this pile.
syJEQpp.png

Needless to say I have never seen a GW durdle so much. This was most apparent in my first round.

I was up against RW AGGRO and I managed to flip my Accursed Witch with an Ulvenwald Mysteries in play. After what seemed like eternity, he had gotten down to 4 entirely off of the witch and I died to a hastey wolf I wasn't expecting. While I lost the best part was my opponent only had 6 minutes on the clock. After the first game! The second game wasn't as close and I had lethal on the board but my opponent only had 30 seconds left on his clock. So instead of waiting another two minutes in sideboards I just kept passing turn until he timed out.

Round 2 was just as awkward if not slightly more confusing. I durdle around removing his creatures (he was on UW aggro/tempo) with Angelic Purges until I drop a Reaper of Flight Moonsilver. Then he automatically concedes. I had nothing else on board, he was on 20 life, I was on 13. I was confused, but whatever I'll take the win. Game two he drops a Thraben Inspector, cracks the clue, flickers it, cracks the clue and is still stuck on 2 lands. I drop Inquisitor's Ox and the tilt must be real as he concedes again.

Sweet, so I have won two rounds doing a total of 0 combat damage. I'll take what I can with this pile.
Then onto round 3 where I play against MONO RED! I manage to Pack Guardian his two Bloodmad Vampires with a Ulvenwald Mysteries in play and then grind him out with tokens and two Angelic Purges with some Stoic Builders to bring back the sacced lands.
Game two he hits a Ravenous Bloodseeker on turn two and it just keeps enabling things and hitting hard. I almost stabilize at 6 life due to my high toughness creatures but a Voldaren Duelist and a pump spell manage to push through. I wasn't expecting that.
Game three we keep trading damage with my Devilthorn Fox and his Geier Reach Bandit. I manage to get a Accursed Witch down to start the bleed and I can keep my fox back to block now that he has more guys. I drop Inquisitor's Ox and am still starved for green sources on turn 6. He passes his turn to flip all his werewolves (the bandit, Breakneck Rider, Kessig Forgemaster). I finally get a green source but only have one spell to play, so I pass, ready for a beating. He drops a Bloodmad Vampire and just passes, so I crack my Vessel of Ephemera and he decides to Dual Shot, which was a bad idea as now all his Werewolves flip back. I hit him in the air down to 3, cast my one spell (Fork in the Road) to stop the werewolves flipping. He hits a blank and I kill him in the air next turn.

I have to say, while the deck was built around Ulvenwald Mysteries and it was a decent card, the card I am getting more and more impressed by is Inquisitor's Ox. That 5 toughness is just so hard to get through. Then activating delirium to let it swing in with vigilance is awesome gravy. I kept cutting my Inspired Captain for the other Ox every time.
Although obvious best cards were Bound By Moonsilver, Pack Guardian and Accursed Witch, but you guys alreday knew about them.

If I ever do custom errata, changing all instances of Fear and Intimidate to Menace is at the top of my list.

For some reason I just get stuck on thinking menace is the fear mechanic. Intimidate feels more like menace. Like if you are intimidating I need a buddy to block you.

Intimidate was a really weird design. Deciding that the problem with Fear wasn't that it was somewhat arbitrary in effectiveness but that it was only swingy with respect to black decks seems like a major goof in hindsight.

Using the names Fear and Intimidate is also awkward if WOTC ever decides to try to keyword the Wandering Wolf evasion, which I really think should be called Intimidate.

The way I think of Menace is that the creature is single-mindedly barreling towards its target and will just run past a single blocker, so it needs more to corral it and keep it from attacking its original target.

How are we all feeling about this now?

Talking points
+ 6cmc: this isn't cheap, and needs to be acknowledged in the evaluation / it coming down later makes the exile more punishing potentially
+ Exile: super relevant in our heavy-recursion environs / super hard to recover from if you're dependent on those recursive tools (counterpoint: draft better, nerd)
+ drops a 4/4 flying token on the board: 5-turn clock mmk? / delirium seems to range from really hard to somewhat difficult to get online, is this really better than Phyrexian Rebirth?
+ Cool art and flavour (that's really all that I care about tbh)

I'm leaning towards including it myself, because I think for white control to get delirium working even on T6, it's going to need to rest on an out-of-colour discard/filtering outlet, so I think I'm okay with that, but maybe the exile is simply too brutal? I know I've seen people recover from it several times in drafts (I've pulled about 4 of these already and faced down at least 3), and I know I've cast it without Delirium a few times, too, and I kinda like the tension of trying to hold off until you've got delirium in a colour that doesn't, as a base, enable it.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I find decks that want white sweepers are generally behind against the recursive or 'sticky' aggro/midrange decks to begin with, and a 6 CMC sweeper is a much less oppressive way of dealing with that than most things you could try.

I bought a few packs of SOI when it first came out and I got a Pale Rider of Trostad. I had not planned on even testing that since I took Haakon out of my cube, but the more I thought about this card the more I started to like it. Anybody test this yet?

I have dreams of T3 rider, discard Vengevine, 1 drop. It also works with other recursive creatures and effects (Meren, Genesis, bloodghast, 2 shields, etc).