Sets [THB] Theros Beyond Death *SPOILER*

Here's the BR titan I was talking about.

kroxatitanofdeathshunger1.jpg

That thing hits like a brick. Too much for my cube I feel.

Pissed I can't play a BBBRRR cost guy with yard synergy. This is ridiculously strong.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I wonder how strong these titans are going to be in constructed. On the one hand, five cards is a real cost, you are probably not putting these onto the battlefield on turn four. On the other hand, casting these multiple times over the course of a game is scary, and they're really impactful.

That's it as far as self milling goes at the moment in Standard, I think?

Edit: I forgot

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Will Onde like this? Or does he not run Sultai shard?

View attachment 3040

It’s a Birthing Pod that trades enchantments for creatures.

I do run Sultai (and Simic) in my current cube. I don't run an enchantment theme in those colors, so I don't think you'ld get too much mileage with Enigmatic Incarnation, but the interaction with Demonic Pact is hilarious :)

Also, neat synergy with Muldrotha, the Gravetide, which I also run.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nightmare Shepherd.jpg

Nightmare Shepherd {2}{B}{B}
Enchantment Creature - Demon
Flying
Whenever another nontoken creature you control dies, you may exile it. If you do, create a token that's a copy of that card, except it's a 1/1 and it's a Nightmare in addition to its other types.
4/4

That is pretty cool. Not sure how useful (considering it prevents reanimation), but certainly great with the Mulldrifters of this world!

Great card! It is a "may" ability, so you can let big guys back into the yard for reanimation, but have the Shepherd bring back small stuff as a 1/1 nightmare.

Sooooo cool

4EFDD818-E32A-43D3-9B10-C83E73AF49B2.jpeg

..but probably not very competitive in any format :p

In the background we see Xenagos’ old throne. There are tons of ways to get infinite mana with this one.

Reactions: dbs
I really love the 2BB enchantment creature 4/4 flier. With my dragon theme I ended up building an Air Elemental format and 4/4 fliers are great, better than 4/5s to me. I'm really happy with a lot of the playable enchantment creatures we've been getting, honestly; it'll help my cataclysm and enchantress themes.

This set is very powerful, so many cool cards to try out as both standalones and build-arounds. I think a critical mass might be there for an Enchantress/Constellation theme to be viable in my cube, I'm going to definitely have to pore over a ton of cards and rework some things once this set is released.

Aaaah yes, that could be!

Ya, just a power issue. Mana is probably fine on that cost, really. It's just an obscene multi ETB.

The difference in power level between this set and the previous theros set is crazy.

Agreed. A few things that outclass The Black Cube and I'm seeing fewer things for the -1 cube than I'd like. When you can't even knock a mana off an uncommon, you know the set's pretty nuts. With that said, I'll probably run that ridiculous Nyxbloom at -1 in the historic/enchantress Bant shard. What a fun card!

I think 2BB 4/4 is too strong for anyone with a legitimate ETB presence. That sounds ridiculous. I don't, so I may try it, but it seems like quite a bit of value either way.

Elspeth saga is pretty good, but an exile and a reanimate is right up my alley.

The Eldest Elspeth Reborn

43l59myabn941.png

This card makes me happy! I love this Elspeth saga!!

That said- I think this other Elspeth saga might be a tiny bit better for cube:
elspethsnightmare.jpg

While I admit this card is narrow, you can easily two for one your opponent with this. Kill a random utility dude, duress them, and then nuke their G/Y is a pretty good suite of abilities against grindy decks in my opinion.

Also, I love the Phyrexian Obliterator in the art.

I just checked the spoiler and was disappointed to see only the other saga getting credit. This is perfect for me, I think. It gives a yard wipe, which is always relevant in my format, but decks have a couple turns to prevent it if it's the kind of deck that would be crushed by it. Then the first two abilities are going to be sometimes great, sometimes miss. Overall, a nice value card. I do worry that it messes up Bx yard aggro pretty bad, offing their 1 drop, stealing a burn or other spell, and wiping their graveyard full of insurance. But the art is sweet and it's an uncommon, so I'll surely give it a go.

Black saga
Elspeth comes from an unknown home plane that got invaded by (Old) Phyrexia. This is Ashiok giving her nightmares from her childhood.

White saga
This looks to be present day. And it looks like she’s now escaped the underworld and death while defeating Erebos and Ashiok on the way.

A6D28423-2C97-4062-B72B-7170ED1B4108.jpeg

This is Elspeth slowly dethroning Heliod by weakening his followers’ devotion. Casually by making them question if his spear is real or fake.