Sets AEther Revolt Spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Well someone ought to. We've got our first 3.5 cards!

yahennisexpertise.jpg

An interesting sweeper. That free spell is obviously powerful, but the difference between 3 to each creature and 4 (Languish) is too.

trophymage.jpg

It's trinket mage, but it searches for something that costs exactly 3. I suppose 0-1 was narrow enough as it is, but 3 seems a bit more do-able, if only because your deck is expected to have more 3s than 1s.

scraptrawler.jpg

3/2 for 3, when it or an artifact you control dies, you can regrow an artifact that costs less. A solid beater, and there's some real combo potential with basically any sac outlet. I love that they didn't make this an 0/3 or something.

quicksmithrebel.jpg

And here's why I said 3.5 :p
It's {R}{3}, and has this text:
When Quicksmith Rebel enters the battlefield target artifact you control gains: "tap: this artifact deals -x- damage to target creature or player/planeswalker" for as long as you control QR.

No idea of P/T, or what X means. Not loving this one. Maybe if there's just enough artifacts in your cube that this is pretty consistently FTK (This also relies on the X being somewhat large, like # of artifacts you control or artifact CMC or something else unrelated), but given modern set design, this doesn't look like it's going to be doing a lot of damage, since it's been a long time since we've seen Visara the dreadful type creatures.

I'm going to be honest and say that I don't like Trophy Mage's design. Grabbing a 3-drop makes it closer to generic midrange ETB goodstuff rather than a utility tutor (Trinket Mage) that grabs something small or a way to get consistency for your finisher in an artifact based control deck (Treasure Mage).

Also, if we don't see proliferate return in Aether Revolt to play with all the +1/+1 counters and energy, I'm going to consider it a huge missed opportunity.

I'm going to be honest and say that I don't like Trophy Mage's design. Grabbing a 3-drop makes it closer to generic midrange ETB goodstuff rather than a utility tutor (Trinket Mage) that grabs something small or a way to get consistency for your finisher in an artifact based control deck (Treasure Mage).

Also, if we don't see proliferate return in Aether Revolt to play with all the +1/+1 counters and energy, I'm going to consider it a huge missed opportunity.

Agreed, 3 seems odd, with Puzzleknots being 2CMC and whatknot.

I agree. As far as I'm concerned, these immediately throw it into boring goodstuff land:
Sword of War and Peace
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of Body and Mind
Sword of Fire and Ice

I can kind of understand it, Rebel is a creature type with some baggage so if people start seeing rebels on typelines they might start looking around for rebel searchers and be confused when they don't find them.

It's not an argument I agree with, but I think it's one that could reasonably be made.

1) printing more rebels makes it less linear
2) you dont have to include the rebel mechanic to put the word rebel in the typeline

aston's argument makes more sense except nobody remembers what the hell rebels are anyway except for people like us who are like maybe .7% of the magic playing populace and also will know the difference

Let's all be real here, rebels were a horribly linear mechanic and personally I'm glad they didn't include it here. All of the Kaladesh mechanics are more interesting than it imo.

I think the argument is just to print more creatures with Rebel creature type, rather than bring back the "Rebel mechanic". There's bound to be some people out there with the Rebel theme in their cube or a Rebel EDH deck that would appreciate it. Similar to how BFZ/OGW had Allies without the "Ally mechanic"/Rally to try and increase density.