Sets AEther Revolt Spoilers

Baral is a dick, but Chandra has like zero redeeming qualities as a character so I'm kind of rooting for him. Make your protagonists more likeable WoTC.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Apparently the spoiled Ajani and Tezzeret are the planeswalkers for the planeswalkers decks. I think that means neither is expected to make a (big) impact on constructed and there'll be better versions in the set...

Also, #imwithchandra

How can you not like Chandra? She's Jaya Ballard 2.0!

Nah, more like a cheap knockoff. Jaya had great flavortext quotes, Chandra is bland in comparison.

I really hate her character within the more recent lore. They've been developing their core 5 ever since Origins and Chandra is somehow worse than retconned Nissa who somehow became a socially retarded hermit. I get that they want to depict Chandra as the posterchild for Red with recklessness and impulsiveness, but they could have added something more to her character to actually make her endearing or likable. Literally all she does is run around like a headless chicken, doesn't really know how to interact with other people, and never thinks anything through at all (Red impulsiveness obv). She's just a super impulsive character trope without any real depth to her.

One of the Kaladesh stories was straight up just:

Chandra: I'VE GOTTA SAVE MY MOM
Nissa: Chandra, we've got to think things through. We need to come up with a good pla--
Chandra: BUT WE'VE GOTTA SAVE MY MOM
Nissa: I get that, but we REALLY need to think rationally here about how we're going to get past all these guards and the securit---
Chandra: YOU DON'T HAVE A MOM DO YOU???
Nissa: ... all of my people perished when Ulamog ran rampant through Bala Ged on Zendikar
Chandra: OH

Chandra sucks.

Apparently the spoiled Ajani and Tezzeret are the planeswalkers for the planeswalkers decks. I think that means neither is expected to make a (big) impact on constructed and there'll be better versions in the set...

Also, #imwithchandra

I've seen two Ajanis spoiled already, both {4}{G}{W}, so I think we've already had the set Ajani. He's the one with -2 to Swords to Plowshares and +2 to draw nonlands from top of library.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've seen two Ajanis spoiled already, both {4}{G}{W}, so I think we've already had the set Ajani. He's the one with -2 to Swords to Plowshares and +2 to draw nonlands from top of library.

I totally missed the second Ajani, but you'r right!

ajanivaliantprotector.jpg

Planeswalker deck Ajani looks like a less obnoxious form of his Mentor of Heroes incarnation.

so. wait. i dont get it. there's 2 ajanis in the same set with the same mana cost
um
what
who the hell thought this was a good idea

edit: wait what? so there's one for the deck and one from boosters? they're the same mana cost? so it'll be easily confused?? this is an even worse fucking idea

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
so. wait. i dont get it. there's 2 ajanis in the same set with the same mana cost
um
what

edit: wait what? so there's one for the deck and one from boosters? they're the same mana cost? so it'll be easily confused?? this is an even worse fucking idea

Did you miss the planeswalkers decks for Kaladesh? At least those had different mana costs though, there's that... Anyway, both are standard legal, but if you want to succeed at standard you can easily ignore the planeswalker deck walker. No harm done ;)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I just noticed this, but I think it's incredibly cute that the artifact fetching mages alliterate, and that the alliterating word gets progessively more "valuable" the more expensive the artifacts they can search for are. Trinket, Trophy, and Treasure Mage

um
what

No only that but the art on both is very similar. At least one of them is basically unplayable to help keep confusion down.

No only that but the art on both is very similar. At least one of them is basically unplayable to help keep confusion down.

I do think it's probably bad to have similar art and exact same casting costs. I'm sure we'll get at least one story of someone trying to pass off an Intro Pack Ajani as a regular Aether Revolt one in a tournament somewhere. "The art's just slightly different because it's a promo, I swear!"

darkintimations.jpg

What the fuck is this?

darkintimations.jpg

What the fuck is this?

To actually answer your question, it's a steaming pile of garbage. I should've known they'd mess up Kaladesh some way or other; revealing that it was, Indeed, The Big Bad Involved, is so cringe-worthy. Like, can we not have a set without Grand Multiverse Implications? Can we not just have a fun romp through a new plane where all we do is reunite Firegal with her mom?
/rant

Too bad they had to throw on the weird bolas interaction... Couldn't it have been like, a three life swing or something? Just a straight up imitation of the Ultimatum.

Oh well. It's still the same card advantage as tidings, and directly impacts the board.

So, lame story implications aside, anyone else wanting to try this card? Seems fun to recur, though it's pretty unfortunate that it's still three colors. Trying to decide if it's the seven mana, the three colors, or the seven colored mana symbols that turn me off Cruel Ultimatum. I can't imagine my drafters being anything but very excited to cast this.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
An edict is also probably the worst way to affect the board at high mana costs

Okay, where's my discount? Why is this even red (aside from flavor reasons).

Wait... wait...

There's my discount! I will say that both these cards where playable in their respective limited formats, so Dark Intimations may play better than it looks...

It also says each opponent. Not relevant as often in cube, but the 4 card swing in 1v1 grows to an 8 card swing in multiplayer, almost as much as the Ultimatum gives.

Also returning a planeswalker to your hand seems really gas.

Card is neat.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, I don't get all the hate either. I figured I would see people wanting to omit it for being over powered, as thats a massive amount of CA for 5 mana.