Sets AEther Revolt Spoilers

It seems annoying even if you are running Bolases. I'm not sure what they were thinking with that line & I hope it doesn't become a trend.

Betcha the new standard Bolas is 1-2 starting loyalty counters away from being able to ult the turn you play it.

Consulate Crackdown
3WW
Enchantment
When Consulate Crackdown enters the battlefield, exile all artifacts your opponents control until Consulate Crackdown leaves the battlefield.

New card spoiled today. Not entirely sure if it will see play outside of standard. I am certainly having trouble seeing Consulate Crackdown being played in either cube or modern. Like the flavor though.

When Consulate Crackdown enters the battlefield, exile all artifacts your opponents control until Consulate Crackdown leaves the battlefield.

I really like the way they handled the Shatterstorm effect in this set, since they kind of had to print one. Doing it as an artifact Plague Wind is a neat angle, but I especially like the idea of doing wraths in Oblivion Ring form. Have they ever done something like that before? It'd be super cool to see one of these for creatures.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Wait what
oathofajani.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Wow, that is so pushed.
Soooo.... why is this pushed? It's a medallion for planeswalkers that one-time anthems your creatures? I mean, it's nowhere near bad, but it isn't exactly broken either?

Oath of Nissa into this into Walker-of-your-Choice

*pukes*
Like, how many of you cube with 2-mana rocks? This is that, but harder to cast. It's unlikely (although not impossible with Liliana, the Last Hope in standard) you are going to play two planeswalkers a turn after all. And I guess it pumps your team, but if you're going Oath of Nissa into Oath of Ajani that part of the spell does exactly nothing. I'ld say the two abilities on this oath are actually quite at odds with each other...

31 Planeswalkers make or deal with tokens, so the two abilities seem well paired: token-based planeswalker/creature midrange. This card is very good. It's good early, allowing you to ramp out your most powerful threats, and it's good late, allowing you to pump up the board you've been developing in the earlier game. I'd call it pushed, partly because multicolor doesn't do nearly as much to balance it as I feel development sometimes hopes.

It also definitely passes the "acceptable power level with zero walkers" test, which I very much like. Too bad it's multicolor, where competition is fierce.

Strike against it is that I generally don't want to push planeswalkers, they push themselves plenty.

Edit: also 21 of 21 {G}{W} walkers have the word "creature" in their text

Soooo.... why is this pushed? It's a medallion for planeswalkers that one-time anthems your creatures? I mean, it's nowhere near bad, but it isn't exactly broken either?

I was talking more in a constructed context, I think it's fine in cube because you need a very specific pool for it to be busted. In most of our cubes it's negligible as a one-of within a pool of 360 with our planeswalker density, but this card is obnoxious in multiples anywhere else.

The ability to grow your team by +1/+1 has usually been a 3 mana effect via anthems or certain spells. Most recently, we've gotten Nissa, Voice of Zendikar and Gideon, Ally of Zendikar that have a similar ability as a minus. In terms of Standard, you've got two walkers on color that churn out bodies with a +1 and a 0 ability, this card is equally good early setting up an early walker or just discounting them to allow you to go two spells in one turn, or in the late game you just grow your entire board that you've been churning out. I really don't know what development was thinking when they made this in their current Standard metagame.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think the card is fine in most cases, but rarely "broken". Biggest quality is that it has value both early and late game, and I suspect there's some play to timing when to run this out.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I for sure want to test this out. Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas feels a bit too strong when it's firing at all cylinders. Permanent 5/5's and an enormous lifedrain are a bit hard to beat, and it has a plus ability that provides card advantage. I've drained opponents for 10+ multiple times while testing my new cube, which is a bit too much for my tastes. New Tezz seems a bit tamer, harder to remove because of the high starting loyalty, but also a bit less oppressive maybe.

paradoxengine.jpg

Say hello to the newest EDH staple/member of the banned list! It has certainly been a while since I have seen a card so obviously asking to be abused. I'll be leaving the infinite combo concoction to someone else for the most part.

planarbridge.jpg

Please note the text "put it onto the battlefield." It makes me want to make an infinite combo using Planar Bridge and Paradox Engine using mana rocks/dorks and a good dose of shenanigans. (Can't decide between the Magus of the Wheel and Soul of the Harvest routes.)

It's going in my cube right away, that's for sure. Seems like a bundle of fun. I always wanted to make Jeskai Ascendancy work to make lots of mana, and this does it with far, far fewer restrictions.