Sets AEther Revolt Spoilers

rogue_refiner_aether_revolt.jpg

Rogue Refiner... I plan to have a minor energy theme in my lower power multiplayer cube and this would be an awesome addition as my UG section is just kinda "ho-hum"... Trygon Predator's and Shardless Agent etc... This while not super sexy is just another good GLUE guy to help a U/G deck that can be a cog in a few different archetypes (which is important to me)

Love this card. Brings back a lot of sweet stuff, that is for sure. Feels bad that my GW is stacked already. May take some implicit GW support out of monocolor sections for this as my fifth in the Selesnya section (warden of the first tree?). Some of my faves:

Obviously has a crazy ceiling with Pod, but even saccing something like wall of omens into it is solid value.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
solemnrecruit.jpg

in more fun news:

1WW
2/2 Double Strike
Revolt: Put a +1/+1 counter on this

Well, I like this a lot more than fabled hero. Been a while since I've had a good 2/2 double strike in my cube

giftedaetherborn.jpg

Nice. Vampire nighthawk has been an important part of black, so a comparable 2 drop doing similar things could really help

hiddenstocks.jpg

BW, Enchantment
Revolt: Make a 1/1 servo
1, sacrifice a creature: scry 1.

Interesting card. Not sure how powerful it is, but I like the idea of a hybrid reward/sac outlet.

baralchiefofcompliance.jpg

Interesting control card. I also kind of like it for prowess, but ideally your deck is so slick you don't even need him.

baralsexpertise.jpg

This is cool. I have a soft spot for super undo. Still probably too powerful.

aetherbornwarrior.jpg

B2
3/2
Revolt: target creature gets -3/-3

I feel like skinrender is ruining this card for me, but
a) 3 mana 187s are few and far between
b) wasteland strangler showed how much this type of card having a decent body is sweet.
c) I'm giving revolt a LOT of slack because of fetchlands and pod.

skyshippirate.jpg

U1
2/1 flying
When ~ deals combat damage to a player, choose target permanent or player. For every type of counter on the chosen target, give each another counter of a kind already there.

New thrummingbird, lower ceiling higher floor. I'm on board, since a lot of what people were suggusting about thrummingbird was to have it start with a counter, essentially turning it into slith ascendant.
It also can give you energy (I'd be disappointed if it couldn't), so there's that.

Thrummingbird is better and also able to give you Energy.

I like the new Skinrender better than the actual as it needs more setup. Will run this and Nekrataal as walking removal, I guess.

The Expertises all seem so strong, I don't like the blue one and the black and white ones seem pretty borderline if not (way) too good.
The green one is the only one I could imagine to put into my list as putting something into play seems very greenish (pseudo-ramp).
I'm very curious for the red one.

That BW enchantment is just sooo damn sweet, I will DEFINITELY add it, it's an outlet and a reward, just as already mentioned, but I can't stress it enough. It's really good although I don't like to pay 1 everytime.

The new double-striker could be the first one I'm actually adding. Fabled Hero was just lame and badly supported in my list, Mirran Crusader got protection and this one is going to be a quite beefy 3/3 double-striker for 3 quite often.

Gifted Aetherborn sucks, just like Sylvan Advocate, too strong for a 2-drop. The latter was a beater being strong in the lategame and an absolutely aggro-stopper, just for two mana, coming earlier in the game, while the former is an actual removal for smaller beaters and for a bigger one while gaining you fucking life. It's BB, but I think it's too much of a reward for being able to support the mana cost on turn 2, especially against the aforementioned aggro decks (which already are quite hard to support in cube without giving Midrange just some other playable, if not great cards).

Baral, Chief of Compliance is insane! That's so many effects that U loves packed into one body. Defensive 1/3 stats, mana advabtage, and looting???

I do love our new Double Striking friend, who will probably be reason enough for me to finally release my grip on mirran crusader

walkingballista.jpg
We've also got a new hangarack walker. Think I like this one more, but they are both sweet.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Baral, Chief of Compliance is insane! That's so many effects that U loves packed into one body. Defensive 1/3 stats, mana advabtage, and looting???

I do love our new Double Striking friend, who will probably be reason enough for me to finally release my grip on mirran crusader

View attachment 1259
We've also got a new hangarack walker. Think I like this one more, but they are both sweet.

More like Triskelion. Don't fool me into thinking this card is good :p

BTW rules text:

XX
Creature - Construct
Walking Ballista enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.

4: Put a +1/+1 counter on Walking Ballista.

Remove a +1/+1 counter: Walking Ballista deals 1 damage to target creature or player of your choice.

More like Triskelion. Don't fool me into thinking this card is good :p

BTW rules text:

XX
Creature - Construct
Walking Ballista enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.

4: Put a +1/+1 counter on Walking Ballista.

Remove a +1/+1 counter: Walking Ballista deals 1 damage to target creature or player of your choice.
Thanks. Knew I forgot something.

I didn't say it was better, or even that good necessarily, I said I liked it better. Card is cool. It's a scaling Triskelion that also provides a consistent mana sink. Nice!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Thanks. Knew I forgot something.

I didn't say it was better, or even that good necessarily, I said I liked it better. Card is cool. It's a scaling Triskelion that also provides a consistent mana sink. Nice!

Oh yeah, I'm just saying that none of those cards imply hangerback walker :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
hey dont be mean, triskelion is vintage playable

this card has less edh-style shenanigans with buddies like mikaeus, the unhallowed than triskelion does tho but that's a whole fucking mess of a format anyway sooooo
One of the great effects of playing vintage is Mishra's Workshop divides the cost of all artifacts by 3. He's a great 2 drop :p
Keep in mind I'm talking about as an actual card on his own, which is a metric a LOT of cards fail on. Goblin bombardment is a shit card in a generic draft environment, for eg. If Mephidross vampire is a big part of your draft environment, trike must be great :rolleyes:

I guess I'll find it to be too strong for most riptide cubes. Seriously, Evolutionary Leap needs some good drafting/deckbuilding to get the most out of it, this one gives you a free scry every turn and draws a card for the investment of one mana, possibly every fucking turn. Sounds very strong to me, but of course I'm willing to test it out as green still lacks interesting cards.

Man, this set is very strong, there's a lot of which I already know that I certainly won't put into my cube.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
As far as niche fillers go, these seem to be the most significant cards thus far i.m.o

636191220014757217.png

For all the reasons sigh already gave: great early defensive drop for control.

636190359626418179.jpeg

This is a card that riptide style midrange formats have been wanting for a long time: a nantuko husk clone proportionally powered to today's environments. This is probably the most significant card from the set for most of our formats.

636165748529458626.jpeg

This represents two things that I think many of our formats have been wanting for years: 1) a variant of stifle that justifies its cube slot, 2) a 3cc counter (that isn't forbid) that justifies its slot.

636165748694111462.jpeg

This seems to have slipped beneath most people's radar, but this is a pretty unique control effect, and its nice to have access to it. This is currently the only sort of big lifegain removal spell that black has access too, that doesn't require a heavy mono-black focus.

636191396500476820.jpeg

This is another valuable card to have in the toolbox, as its currently the only decent defensive black two drop option for higher powered formats. While its up to you if you want to run this, or just let the format jump up to vampire nighthawk, its much better to have this as an option than to not have it.

636189668744485499.jpeg

This is another sort of flexible tribal lord, which is a nice tool to have considering how difficult it can be to assemble a sufficient density of tribal lords in cube.

Lots of neat cards in the set to toy around with for lower power grids or cube formats. Really like the aesthetic of this plane, and all of these control cards.

Aether chaser and Kari Zav's expertise both seem very sweet and very playable to me. Kari zev also seems good, but something about this card rubs me the wrong way. I don't keep up with story stuff, so I can't comment on that side of things, but a 1/3 with first strike and menace in red that makes a 2/1 feels like something a random card generator might spit out. Maybe I just don't get it.

Aether chaser and Kari Zav's expertise both seem very sweet and very playable to me. Kari zev also seems good, but something about this card rubs me the wrong way. I don't keep up with story stuff, so I can't comment on that side of things, but a 1/3 with first strike and menace in red that makes a 2/1 feels like something a random card generator might spit out. Maybe I just don't get it.

I think she makes more sense if you look at Revolt as a specifically limited set. She's a 1/3 so she doesn't die to shock which is a major bit of removal in this set, and she has menace so she can 'safety' get her token generation trigger off (which is triggered on attack.)

Anyone who has played Alesha, who smiles at death knows the pain of having a sweet attack trigger that they can't really get off because their small red dude dies to a fart.

She has token generation and exile 'cause revolt.

It may still be a bit weird, but I kinda get it.