Sets AEther Revolt Spoilers

whirofinvention.jpg
fatalpush.jpg
sramsenioredificer.jpg

Me gusta mucho. Chord of Calling for Artifacts seems very fun, the sort of toolbox effect I can really get behind, and makes me want to look at some cool utility artifacts mebbe. A toolbox like Brittle Effigy/executioner's capsule, Ratchet Bomb, Spellskite, filigree Familiar/Solemn Simulacrum and so on just seems very cool. Fatal Push synergizes to the max with fetchlands. Sram is more card draw in White, and plays off of both enchntment and equipment themes, which is very cool.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
untetheredexpress.jpg

A lot midrangier than most of the vehicles we've seen thusfar, but this looks powerful.

windingconstrictor1.jpg

Proliferate? Eh? eh?

freejamregent.jpg

This looks like a cool low power payoff

sramsexpertise.jpg

I honestly like this even less than the sweeper.

consulatedreadnought.jpg

Possibly the cutest vehicle I've ever seen :p

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I was trying to hold myself back from pushing the +1/+1 counters theme but there's no point any more. Constrictor is completely bonkers

I love all the mechanics in this set, I hope we get some good flagship cards for each of them

The flavour text on Untethered Express is really tilting though, give your audience some credit

peacekeepercolossus.jpg
I
They even gave us a mecha vehicle! Feels like a childhood dream come true. (Admitted, I have drifted from the genera a bit.)

More importantly is its activated ability. "1W: Another target vehicle becomes an artifact creature until end of turn." I like that it lessens the creature component to vehicles for draft, where you had to limit your self to only 3-4 vehicle. If nothing else this make vehicles more cube viable than they were before.

It crews for 4.

Can we just talk about this card for a moment?

SNZKVuL.jpg

This card is wonderful if you have an energy synergy in your cube. It is so much more than what it initially seems. It's a strong, potentially undercosted beater that (and this is key) -also- functions as a T1 utility play in the deck that wants energy! That makes it much more flexible than it initially seems to be. It also easily triggers ETB effects multiple times, with careful energy management. Otherwise, it's GGG (that you can pay for in parts) for a 3/4, which is a reasonable cost.

It's rare to see a card that allows truly creative deckbuilding, but I could see this going in blink, energy, aggro and even more archetypes. It functions as a T1 play, and allows you to 'invest' in it when you need to fill out your curve. (akin to student of warfare) It's a cheap sac outlet (you can sacrifice it with it's own return trigger on the stack... and crew vehicles as well). It triggers other ETBs. While I'm not 100% going to jam it in every cube I make, I do think that overlooking this card entirely would be criminal.

What do you guys think?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also.... !!!!

monument.png

"Inspirational Monuments" {3}
Artifact
Non-artifact spells you cast have improvise. (Your artifacts can help cast non-artifact spells. Each artifact you tap after you're done activating mana abilities pays for 1.)

That's one hell of a mana rock! I wonder if this is too good for my cube. I do run 3-cmc mana rocks, but Worn Powerstone and Coalition Relic have proven too much.

Edit: Oooh! And this one! A new Manic Vandal++ that actually plays well with the spell theme in red.

release.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
No Proliferate in Aether Revolt. Well... maybe Wizards is holding out for next set, to tie back into the energy mechanics? *straw grasping continues*
Nah it was slated for the 3rd set in the block *eyeroll*

A few more entries of "cards that havent been printed yet and so I might try"
greenbeltdruid.jpg
hungryflames.jpg

(1/3 LLanowar elves)

aetherwindbasker.jpg

Possibly the least feeling mythic I've ever seen?

renegademap.jpg
There are lot of sweet spoilers today, but I find myself attracted most to this. There's an obvious format power and speed ceiling, but lay of the land for any deck, much like ash barrens, just seems so sweet for overall deck and format health.

Edit: That mythic says when you etb/attack, you get an energy for each creature you control. Some way give it haste could end the game on the spot.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
aethergeodeminer.jpg

do you think this is better than daring skyjek?

rishkarsexpertise.jpg

I kinda hate the "Cast something for free on this slightly overcosted spell" cycle (reminds me too much of cascade), but if they're going to be this conditional I guess it could be alright.

Oh Man... This is going to be awesome in my lower powered cube.... I am going to be adding a bunch of energy cards and such to see how that works out (multiplayer focused). we don't use "Bob" for reasons and well there aren't many other 2 drops with good advantage like this.