Sets (AFR) Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Previews- Dripping with Flavor, and Excess Words!

I was thinking with the aura thread posted yesterday...isn't this just a red Rancor

I'm really enjoying it in some of my AFR drafts. I don't think it's obscenely powerful or anything, but I've been respecting the +2/+0 effect more and more from my boy Rimrock Knight plenty, and getting a free attachment from your Bonesplitter is pretty good. If I went back to breaking singleton, I'd probably have 2-3 Bonesplitter just because I have 720 cards.

Not giving trample puts it pretty far below Rancor. The trample is really the value on Rancor. But it is decent with the flash +2 power effect.

For sure, Rancor is the better card, having a better effect (you're right that trample is the bonus here) and costing (3) less for each subsequent re-equip. But typically, by the time I'm replying Rancor, the mana isn't the biggest issue, and the flash of the Rapier is something of an upside, even if you're generally just trading if it's being used as a "combat trick" rather than just having that flexibility with your mana that flash provides as a baseline.

I've also got just enough artifact synergy in red that it's the smallest upside I don't want to completely neglect.

...all that said I still haven't found room for it :wagg:

nothing truer, @blacksmithy!!

on a similar note, can someone explain to me why I still cube with this:

(played in over 3,000 cubes in a competitive guild, #7 most-cubed UB creature)

but this is barely on mine, or many others' radars?

other than the fact that Silumgar's necklace is literally Tasigur and he's a cool dragon

I was actually just adding Mind Flayer to my list of cool stuff I want to try. Though I suppose that the lack of flying makes using it in combat much more unlikely. Also, 5 is a much bigger number than 3, but that really depends on what removal you're running. Regardless, I like Mind Flayer a lot better, especially because it frees up that sweet, sweet gold slot.

nothing truer, @blacksmithy!!

on a similar note, can someone explain to me why I still cube with this:

(played in over 3,000 cubes in a competitive guild, #7 most-cubed UB creature)

but this is barely on mine, or many others' radars?

other than the fact that Silumgar's necklace is literally Tasigur and he's a cool dragon
A 3/5 Flying Deathtouch that can also steal Planeswalkers is a lot better than a 3/3 that dies to Lightning Bolt.

Honestly, Dragonlord Silumgar isn't particularly good either. The MTGO Cubes run it because they are low removal density formats where the opponent is not always able to kill Silumgar before the steal does anything meaningful. Realistically speaking, stuff like Drown in the Loch, Thought Erasure, Tyrant's Scorn, and Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver are going to be better than Silumgar because they are so much cheaper and so much more flexible. Heck, even Silumgar, the Drifting Death is going to be better than Dragonlord Silumgar in a lot of environments. People just tend to shove Dragonlord Silumgar into their Cubes because it's a cool splashy thing without always considering the broader context of the environments where it is good.

the thing about these effects is… they’re usually really easy to just bonk with any kind of removal due to the gross tiny bodies, and so you often get punished for spending your whole turn on them. very high risk/reward which i suppose can be a plus for people, but if you’re looking for a good fair control magic, Tempted by the Oriq is super fair and super good.

Another good fair control magic option lol

I like Tempted, but flayer really slots well into what I would want for a steal effect. I used to run mind control and this is at the same price point with a bit more interactivity.

the thing about these effects is… they’re usually really easy to just bonk with any kind of removal due to the gross tiny bodies, and so you often get punished for spending your whole turn on them. very high risk/reward which i suppose can be a plus for people, but if you’re looking for a good fair control magic, Tempted by the Oriq is super fair and super good.
But Tempted by the Oriq needs 3 blue mana. Outside off a mono blue deck you won't be able to cast it.
Wait or was the fact that it is almost uncastable what makes it the fairest control magic effect?

But Tempted by the Oriq needs 3 blue mana. Outside off a mono blue deck you won't be able to cast it.
Wait or was the fact that it is almost uncastable what makes it the fairest control magic effect?
it’s that it permanently steals a creature, but not a creature that cost more/equal than it did to cast, so it’s very fair to both caster and victim, with a way higher floor than the ones that can steal anything.
also, if your fixing is good you can manage it in a base blue 2/3 color deck, it’s not a “mono blue” card. that is some retail limited fake news

it’s that it permanently steals a creature, but not a creature that cost more/equal than it did to cast, so it’s very fair to both caster and victim, with a way higher floor than the ones that can steal anything.
also, if your fixing is good you can manage it in a base blue 2/3 color deck, it’s not a “mono blue” card. that is some retail limited fake news
I have to confess that I have a hard time to include cards which are so color dependant. I really need to check out your cube. Hopefully I didn't rub you wrong. Only a feeble attempt at humor on my part. ;-)

Last edited:
I have to confess that I have a hard time to include cards which are so color dependant. I really need to check out your cube. Hopefully I didn't rub you wrong. Only a feeble attempt at humor on my part. ;-)
haha i attack cards mercilessly and love people unconditionally, you don’t rub me wrong at all, no worries :D
also my cube is totally ducking insane for fixing, i run upgraded custom ABURS because normal ABUR duals ***weren’t good enough.***

I'd definitely say that you should have a hard think about any cards that blacksmithy or I suggest to you.

blacksmithy's dream is to basically cube with 1s and 2s, and all of my environments (other than my first pile) are built around gimmicks that skew card evaluation something fierce.