Sets (AFR) Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Previews- Dripping with Flavor, and Excess Words!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
immovablerod.jpg

Is there a reason this dude's head is so big?
Good question! It's a halfling, and though WotC itself has been a bit inconsistent with halfling proportions over various editions, we're currently in 5e's Big Head mode. See also this informative blog post.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Could he be a Human dwarf? That’s how they look if that’s the case. Nothing wrong with that.
No, I'm super confident it's supposed to depict a halfling. Like I said, this is how halflings are supposed to look in 5e, small body, big head. Some artists pull off the look better than others, obviously. This one's a bit on the nose.

This seems like another strong cog for a treasures archetype
1625851889664-png.4816
What do people think about this one? The fragile body worries me for an attacking payoff. Obviously you're going to be sending in other dudes, but he feels like he doesn't want to join his own party. That said... TWO treasures is a lot of mana and the activated ability isn't s especially strong, but it could be a big deal on occasion.

Having a hard time telling one any part of this one.

What do people think about this one? The fragile body worries me for an attacking payoff. Obviously you're going to be sending in other dudes, but he feels like he doesn't want to join his own party. That said... TWO treasures is a lot of mana and the activated ability isn't s especially strong, but it could be a big deal on occasion.

This card seems really weak. The fact that it's a 4-mana do-nothing that dies to shock and has no way to recur itself seems very suspect, even for a synergy Cube. This feels like one of those Commander cards that was designed with a purposefully underpowered body so that people wouldn't target it at a 4-player Commander table.

I don't think it's that bad on average, but it is quite bad when behind and in board stalls. Then, when ahead, it's a snowbally pseudo-Jitte. It would rarely get into combat either, because the ability is so much better than the body. Not the sort of card that leads to games with back and forth.

It doesn't appeal to me much from the flavor side either because it's just a blunt "TREASURE SYNERGY HERE" card. Sure, there is a bit of flavor from stealing money and using it to pay assassins I guess, but the first part seems forced, and it's one of those commander cards that combo with themselves with an unreasonably pushed ability compared to what you'd see in retail limited. The name seems randomly generated.

100%. I picked up one for the artifact cube--seems quite good there. Reminds me a lot of Retribution of the Ancients which I also run there for nearly identical reasons & payoffs.

Honestly between this one, Xorn and quite a few other random modal & payoff spells, really across all rarities and colors; I can't wait to try drafting a Treasure deck soon. It seems like something cool may happen. :pogchimp:

Yeah.. like Onde said (I think it was Onde) rolling d20 only feels fair when you’re playing against a dungeon master and not in a 1v1 game.

The only argument I like from Wizards is this one:

1. While coin flips are fun, he disliked coin flip cards that would completely screw the caster. He wanted to avoid spending mana and a card on a spell, only for it to do absolutely nothing and set you behind—or worse, hurt you.

This has played well in AFR limited:

Lots of "kill attacker" cards are awkward because they assume you are behind, so they are essentially dead if you are ahead.

You Hear Something On Watch gives an alternative for when you're ahead, the +1/+1 mass buff. Combat tricks are traditionally not very good in cubes due to instant seed removal and low levels of blocking, but (at least in retail limited) this one sometimes gets used as a single creature trick to win a combat, sometimes as a mass buff to deal lethal or blow out a large block, and most often (~2/3 of the time) as removal.

This seems like an interesting low power card that is all of removal/tokens payoff/control/combat trick/mass buff. Valuable in all games, very satisfying when you set it up to be a blowout.

Edit: thanks Velrun for pointing out I failed my perception check.

Last edited:
wow, those look very nice. A much cleaner design (and there's art!). I like that you can basically stack them up as you venture, rather than having to track what exact section of one card you are at.

Isn't it more "user friendly" to see the whole dungeon map, though? That way you know what the next steps will be and what paths you need to take to get to an effect you may need in the future. Plus, you need to look at all three dungeons in their entirety to decide which one to enter (unless you've memorized them).

You can lay all of the cards out to make a big ol' board, which is way more readable than a bunch of small text boxes on a little card.

They made their cards in Photoshop, so directly copying their work in something like MSE would be a little tricky, but if you follow the link and scroll down, they list their art sources, so maybe there is a template in MSE that would work.

otherwise if you know photoshop they also have a link to their photoshop template (and a free online version of photoshop if you don't own the software).

If you just need pictures, they also posted a link to their google drive with the card picture files there.