Sets (AFR) Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Previews- Dripping with Flavor, and Excess Words!

Commander Cards from a Forgotten Realm....only one deck in out of four and there's already nearly as many quality cube cards as the main set!!

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 8.29.29 AM.png
This is a better Settle the Wreckage, right? This almost seems too powerful??

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 8.34.08 AM.png
This isn't bad? A worse Fractured Identity in a less competitive color. Don't think it'll crack my list like the rest.

2hnp5hoy47a71.jpeg
Sorry for the image quality here, but this is the most interesting of the bunch. This seems better than most 5-drops, yeah? The graveyard ability makes this super flexible, but it also feels so...fair??

4dyxvwk477a71.jpeg
Is this better than Liquimetal Torque? I think I like it more.

I really like Death Tyrant. Good combination of an interactive trigger and GY recursion on a non-overbearing body. Probably will replace Bontu for it.

I like Ebony Fly too, but I don't think it operates in the same slot as liquidmetal torque does. One could certainly swap out the torque for it if desired, but they do pretty different things.

Hellish Rebuke is weaker than Settle the Wreckage because Wreckage exiles attacking creatures, not creatures after they deal damage. Still pretty strong. In 20 life formats Rebuke can one-shot the opponent. That is definitely powerful. But you have to survive first lol.

Last edited:
I really like Death Tyrant. Good combination of an interactive trigger and GY recursion on a non-overbearing body. Probably will replace Bontu for it.
That's the cut I'm looking at. I think they're of similar power, and while I do enjoy Bontu, Death Tyrant is more flexible and fits into more decks, I imagine.

I like Ebony Fly too, but I don't think it operates in the same slot as liquidmetal torque does. One could certainly swap out the torque for it if desired, but they do pretty different things.
The slot I'm considering it in is "2-drop colorless artifact ramp with upside", but for sure, those upsides are very different. I put in Torque for Prismatic Lens, and I think this is more compelling than even that, as much as I do like Torque.

Hellish Rebuke is weaker than Settle the Wreckage because Wreckage exiles attacking creatures, not creatures after they deal damage. Still pretty strong. In 20 life formats Rebuke can one-shot the opponent. That is definitely powerful. But you have to survive first lol.
Super fair point re: surviving first, from that I think I was a little silly to worry about it being too good, but it's still plenty powerful enough to steal games. Great flavor text too!

A 4 mana instant permanent control magic effect that also gives you an ETB off their creature? Seems wicked strong...
reasoning: fractured identity is pretty bad in my kind of environment, therefore, moving the cost down by 1 probably makes it good
EDIT: also if i make a token copy instead of casting the actual card then i avoid mixing up cards mid draft

Also making it instant and out of color pie... it would fit better to just shave a mana off of the actual card Fractured Identity.

Not if you make it free and/or add the tokenmaking. R and to some extent B have several cards that steal the opponents card for your own use... as long as you pay for it. Permanent control swapping style effects are firmly blue still

1625857292615.png

Nantuko Husk always seemed a little overcosted and though this cannot be as explosive and threat of activation is only 4/3 instead of 4/4, 2 mana is much much cheaper than 3, making this usable in an aggressive deck. Not the most flashy of cards, but it is a cog that we had been missing for many, many years.

Last edited:
Ebony Fly seems quite swingy, but I haven't seen the die rolls being that much variance in AFR limited. Commons and uncommons at least are tame. It's more much more risk management than actual blowouts.

Another deck spoiled.
1625861371949.png
This is a pretty nifty combo of abilities. Perfectly reasonable body with a nice "ward" suite.

1625861433952.png
I like the base +1/+1 counter ability, and it can pile up counters fast with that second ability. But die rolls...

1625861507393.png
Interesting intersection of Equipment and +1/+1 counters. Color me intrigued to say the least.

i was cool on it at first, but i think it’s VERY close with Basri’s Lieutenant for me as my “second favorite white 4drop” (resto obvy is numba one) and i’m kinda sad that i only have room for one at my current size