Alphez's Cube, rebooted

Hi guys!

After a long hiatus, I am back on the Cube train :)
I already had a thread in here, but since I decided to rebuild from scratch, I felt it was appropriate to dedicate a new "blog" to my new list - here is the Cube Tutor link.
So, why rebooting?

Background
When I first built my Cube, the idea - the hope - was to assemble a more-or-less fixed playgroup and make Cubing a recurring, regular event. We had players with varying skill levels, but the idea was that through reiterated gameplay everybody would learn to master the intricacies and nuances of the format.

This didn't last long, though. You know how life is. One of the guys moved to another city, another started working at a bar, another is going to be a father soon... I myself found a job in another city and only come back to my hometown on weekends. It was difficult to gather more than 4 people, thus forcing us to look somewhere else for players, taking in players who sometimes were total beginners to the game.

In short, Cubing had come to a halt. But now that I have found a bit more of balance with my job etc., I would love to bring it back. I thought it would be better to build a new list, though, because I think the situation is very different now, compared to when I first built my Cube. With my new list I would like to accomplish these...

Goals
  • I expect the playgroup to be ever-changing, as we all have other commitments and I assume the Cube to be low in everybody's list of priorities. The supported archetypes should therefore be clear enough that anybody could draft a decent deck without knowing the entire 405. At the same time, the Cube should have enough depth not to get stale after a couple sessions.
  • Like it or not, some players (especially newer ones) equate Cube to power-max. That is not the kind of experience I am looking to provide, but I think a good compromise would be to offer a nostalgia-slanting Cube. By this I mean that I want to include as many iconic, old-fashion cards as possible. The same applies to archetypes: they should be attractive and, possibly, have a long tradition in the game.
  • The power-level should not be overly high, but I do want to give players some spikes. I want them to have stuff to be excited for.
  • I want to remove my own archetype bias. I realised that some of the archetypes I included in my older list were only there because I loved them, but didn't actually do much for the environment (examples? Pod, that had to be cut for being waaay too powerful and consistent; and Aristocrats, that I think was never drafted by anyone besides me). So I want to try and include archetypes based on their own merits and coherence with the environment, regardless of my personal taste and preference.
  • I want to encourage synergy over raw power; but at the same time, I don't want to punish too much players who fail to immediately identify an open archetype.
Structure
With my previous list, I tried to give each colour pair an identity. This worked decently, but in some cases I felt like selecting a certain colour pair would force the drafter on a fixed path. This is not what I am looking for; I want to provide guidance, but players should be able to walk different paths if so they choose. That is why this time I tried a new approach: I now chose a main theme for every shard/wedge, anchoring that theme to a main colour. This means having 10 themes (as interwoven as possible, of course), with every colour acting as the anchor for 2 of them. The drafter can choose a second (and maybe third) colour based on their inclination and still have various archetypes available.

Themes

WUB - Reanimator
This deck is centered in Black, as the colour offers efficient ways to fill the graveyard and decent reanimation spells. This is not supposed to be the super-fast combo version of Reanimator. It is the controllish version, requiring time to set up. Support colours can be White or Blue, but Red is a viable option too.

UBR - Welder
The main colour is obviously Red, that offers all the artifact-swapping cards. The most obvious support colour is Blue, but Black is also a solid choice that can add consistency, courtesy of the reanimation spells. White can be serviceable too, although it lacks the ability to easily dump artifacts in the graveyard - something that Blue and Black can do without problems.

BRG - Lands Recycle
This is one of the archetypes I am more doubtful about. It is a Green-based deck that aims at retrieving lands from the graveyard and putting them to good use, courtesy of either Black or Red. I'm afraid this is a difficult archetype to pick up, because it depends so much on Life from the Loam that few people would actually venture drafting it unless they find Loam P1P1. It also comes with a fair share of cards that are mediocre at best outside of the archetype. At the same time, I think it might add some depth to the Cube by offering a complex archetype that people might pick up after a while. Opinions are much appreciated.

RGW - Wide Aggro
A theme centered in White, it finds worthy additions in both Red and Green.

GWU - Hatebears
It is a White-based deck that exploits the colour's soft-lock pieces to hinder the opponent while chipping away at their life totals. Blue and Green are the best supporting crew, with cards that also take advantage of White's ability to go wide. Red and Black are not bad either, though. This is maybe a themeless theme, but I think it could make for interesting decks.

WUR - Artifacts Control
A Blue-based deck that takes advantage of artifact-focused deck manipulation. It obviously has a lot of overlap with the Welder archetype, making Red a solid splash colour. White is excellently positioned, too. Black has potential as well, although its upsides are smaller.

UBG - Graveyard Shenanigans
A controllish archetype using Blue as the main colour. Blue offers scarce rewards for filling the graveyard, but it has the best enablers. Those are the backbone of the deck, enabling either Black or Green to do the dirty work. White and Red also interact with the graveyard in a number of ways - graveyard exploitation is quite central in this Cube, in general.

BRW - Artifact Aggro
The Red-centered aggro deck. In early Cube Tutor testing, it seems like it is actually possible to build this as a mono-Red archetype. We all know how CT's AI behaves when it's still new to a specific Cube, though; I expect that, more often than not, Red will be paired with either Black or White. Blue is also possible, resulting in a slower deck. I think I probably went a bit too far in signalling this archetype; some cards are probably not worth running, regardless of the density of artifacts in one's deck; the really good payoff cards might be enough to push drafters towards this archetype. Thoughts?

RGU - Ramp
One of my least favourite archetypes, but one that never fails to show up if the tools are there. Green is of course the main colour, courtesy of the good ramp options available and the excellent curve-toppers. Red and Blue support this strategy very well, but it's not like White and Black have no ways to put mana to use, really. This archetype also generates competing demand for fatties, which Reanimator and Welder players require too.

GWB - Recursive Aggro
The Black-based aggro deck that keeps coming back. The best support colours are Green and White, but Red is also solid here. This is a deck that overlaps nicely with many of the Cube's themes: artifacts-centered decks, wide aggro... and anything graveyard-related, really.

This is it! This Cube iteration is actually still untested - sorry for this, but as you can see this does not mean that the list is based on pure theory-crafting. I actually tried to implement here the lessons learned from my previous Cube and to adapt the 405 to a new set of goals. In the past, comments on these forums have been invaluable in tuning my list - many changes, big and small, were suggested here and more often than not they proved to be spot on. I know that there is room for major improvements, so... if you have any comments, please shoot them! :)

I drafted this Mono-U Artifact deck. I p1p1'd Timetwister and went from there. I really like that Crush of Tentacles has a bunch of synergy with most of my nonland permanents. I like the eggs and Trading Post for grinding out games. Crush or Waterfront Bouncer followed up by Timetwister seems unfair. I'm not sure if I want to play Myr Battlesphere. I also had Steel Hellkite and Scuttling Doom Engine but I kind of just wanted to rely on Crush since I have so many ways to recur it.

I really like this deck but I'm not sure how good it actually is.

Made a lot of safe choices on my way to a pretty standard Rakdos aggro deck. There was a lot of yard synergy I passed up and my mana didn't come together because I ended up two colors (probably should have gone with a white splash - I passed some cool cards). Still, this seems pretty good to me. It's certainly going to beat down and Alesha + Boneshredder seems like a thing.

Rakdos Aggro from CubeTutor.com

Thank you guys.
I love that you found angles that I hadn't even considered!
I also love the fact that a monocoloured deck is actually an option. I guess the density of artifacts helps with that - even though I suspect this might be partly due to the CubeTutor AI being still relatively untrained to drafting this particular Cube.

In the past days I made some changes to the list, removing some cards that I felt were a bit too narrow. I inadvertently deleted the blog post on CubeTutor, so I can't recollect them all - they were around 15 cards, I think.

I cut some incentive cards for the artifact decks: I think the best-case scenarios were not good enough to justify playing them in your 40, as opposed to packing alternatives that had less variance. So i got rid of stuff like Embersmith, Steel Overseer, Toolcraft Exemplar, Angel of Invention and Unlicensed Disintegration. In came cards like Aethersworn Canonist (that also works well with the "hatebears" deck I would like to promote in Bant), Reaver Drone (the drawback makes it better in artifact-heavy decks, but it's a legitimately playable card for any black aggro deck), Hangarback Walker.

The other archetype I felt uncomfortable with was the Jund-based lands recursion deck. My main concern is that this deck is basically kept together by Loam; if you don't happen to draft it in your first 3-4 picks, the deck is probably never coming together and players are stuck drafting bad cards. The biggest offender was Land's Edge, while other cards are versatile enough to be playable in other contexts as well. So I cut it and added more cards that generally benefit from having fodder to discard: Cryptbreaker, Jaya Ballard, Task Mage (copied straight from sigh's cube), Rakdos Guildmage still transform Loam into a poor man's Ancestral Recall, but they slot more easily into other decks.

One more worry I have is that the power level might be all over the place. I do run Weldfast Monitor and Timetwister in the same list, after all. I mean, I do want people to have some cards to go wow about, but I don't want the power level to be too high. So there is really no other way, I think. Also, many of the traditional bombs are placed in a context that forces players to reevaluate them: Timetwister, for example, has the big downside of forcing you to give up your graveyard - a major resource, in my list. At the same time, it constitutes a soft form of graveyard hate, which I like. Yawgmoth's Will is another example: it is still a solid card, but without rituals or moxen it becomes much less threatening. Do you guys think that this is a bad idea?

Good set of initial updates! One of my major focuses in green has been finding ways to naturally generate and utilize lands as a hand resource, and the more generalist discard outlets are a great foundation. Cards like noose constrictor and Jaya benefit from a stream of extra lands to pitch but function on other axes as well. I'd make card recommendations, but your Green section is already on top of things! :) I do, though, like Harmonize as a way to generate raw card advantage. I'm excited to pair it with Mizzix's Mastery, which is a card I'm very excited to try out in my format.

Your power level is a little wide (hymn to Touch next to Raven's Crime stands out to me), but I honestly feel this is a good way to start a cube out. Way, way back in the day my cube had Upheaval and Armaggedon next to bouncelands lol, and I feel it was important to helping me find a direction and structure for my environment.

I have honestly been super tempted to try out Yawgmoth's Will. There's no obscene mana generation, so it's basically a playable "fair" Past in Flames? Dunno, seems sweet.

I like the Wheel of Fortune in red. Now that I think on it, it is a kinda brute force way of refilling your hand with some lands......

Double Terror is interesting, is that for the non-artifact clause being an interesting decision point in deck building? I could see Go for the throat to reduce the number of riders.

Your power level is a little wide (hymn to Touch next to Raven's Crime stands out to me), but I honestly feel this is a good way to start a cube out. Way, way back in the day my cube had Upheaval and Armaggedon next to bouncelands lol, and I feel it was important to helping me find a direction and structure for my environment.

Funny that you mentioned Raven's Crime, as I was actually on the verge of cutting it in my last update.
I think Braids, Cabal Minion is a much better way to push a Loam player towards black, but in the end I opted for a wait-and-see approach.
The card's on the watchlist, tho ;)

I have honestly been super tempted to try out Yawgmoth's Will. There's no obscene mana generation, so it's basically a playable "fair" Past in Flames? Dunno, seems sweet.

I haven't tested it yet, but I think it should perform just like that. I will let you know how it goes!

Double Terror is interesting, is that for the non-artifact clause being an interesting decision point in deck building? I could see Go for the throat to reduce the number of riders.
There are multiple reasons for this choice.
First of all, I am trying to embed as much nostalgia as possible in the Cube: old players like to jam cards they used to play ages ago and new players like the feel of old-style Magic. Terror is, in my opinion, the quintessential black removal spell, so I am glad to pack a pair.
Second, I am doubling up only on some effects that I consider to be basic components of the Cube: stuff like shocklands and fetchlands, Terror, Llanowar Elves, Opt... These are basic effects where I don't really want unneeded complexity. A Cube is already quite difficult to digest; I think having multiples of the cards above makes card evaluation a bit easier.
Third, yes, I wanted to give black a removal that is not super efficient. In the last drafts we did with my previous Cube, it was starting to emerge as the strongest colour. My new list is largely based on that old one, so I was a bit concerned with black's power level.