Sets Amonkhet (AKH) Spoilers

That's okay though, just get her back later with Sun Titan! ☀️

Guaranteed my favorite quote for the week!

It'll be good with courser, oracle, and now vizier, as you'll know when to cast her. Cycling or activating fetchlands to find a creature on top will probably be a thing too. I'm thinking UGx Ramp, UXg Control. She'll need good protection, though.

Edit: I would think birthing pod and kiki combo seem solid enough.

gpzsck56c0ry.png

Let the hatred flow through you.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm glad Wizards is finally realizing that drawbacks are in fact not mandatory for red Grizzly Bears, and that the world won't collapse if you put rules text on there that actually helps the player!

I mean this must be a contender for one of the best cards in the set so far, right? In a format like modern or legacy this has to account for a chunk load of damage?

In modern, with this in play, Fetch + Shock will be 5 damage. In Legacy and Modern with just fetches, it'll be 3 damage. It shuts down Alluren and Abzan Company's combos. In standard, it gets damage in every time a vehicle is crewed. I wonder if Mardu vehicles will play it. This card makes Walking Ballista really sad too.

If you want more examples, here are all of the cards this hits in Death and Taxes.

I guess you're not equiping Batterskull very often though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's a very solid hate card, to be sure, but it's also a measly 2/2 that's easy to remove. Awesome design for constructed (especially older formats), and it may even be playable in cube.

I'm with Onder on this; 2/2s for two mana and no protection/combat abilities look pretty measly in modern Magic. Speaking of Modern, I remember trying to play a Doran hate bears deck in the first season of modern and having a hell of a time against Wild Nacatl and Kird Ape, not to mention Tarmogoyf. Now, Death's Shadow is the standard of 1cmc creatures... with delve critters mixed in too. And that doesnt even begin the discussion on which spells kill it.

That being said, this is great for my grid design style :) (and I'm sure many Riptiders will get mileage out of it.)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Huh. There's a 5/3 Jetting Glasskite for {3}{U}{U} with embalm {5}{U}{U} in Amonkhet. That sounds nasty o_O I remember how hard the Glasskite was to interact with, now imagine something a mana cheaper that kills in 4 turns instead of 5 and that comes back after you dealt with it once...

Am I totally off base in that this card fills me with disgust?
samutvoiceofdissent.jpg

Personally, I prefer keyword soup over spell-bodies, so I like this a good bit. I can see running it as an alternative to Xenagos, God of Revels or Ghor-Clan Rampager for the "Midrange Stompy" {R}{G} deck if you're looking for a strong effect like that which can compete with the bloated spell-bodies of the modern era, and I think flash beaters and haste beaters are extremely valuable if your cube has a lot of Planeswalkers, too, which few among us have fully gotten away from. The {W} activation feels really unnecessary to make this card awesome and might function as a red herring for drafters, but if you were looking for a powered-up Fires of Yavimaya, I think this is likely the best card you could run.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Maybe Vigilance and Haste is the keyword soup equivilent of the titan text "ETB or Attacks", it just feels too easy for me. Double Strike seems to be the icing on the cake of late 90s Marketing X-Treme "Hey kids isn't this card Kewl?"