(and) Another MORPH cube

Hope this is the correct place to post this, since this is still a work in progress.

So MORPH is one of my favorite mechanics and now that Tarkir more than doubled (I think?) the amount of morph (and interactions) cards, I decided to make my own morph cube. Currently I'm still in the process of brainstorming cards and deciding what type of draft environment it should be, so would really appreciate some discussion and feedback.

First off, here's the link to the list on cubetutor:
http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/26600

And to the visual spoiler:
http://www.cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/26600

What I have now is a very rough skeleton of a morph cube, which include:
- all (or most) of the morphs I would like to include (approx. 100 total cards which have morph)
- cards that directly reference face down creatures (ie , etc)
- cards work well with the idea of morph: 2 power/toughness creatures, creatures with converted mana cost of zero, flicker/blinking creatures, bouncing creatures, spells that deal 2 damage, etc... (this sounds like a very combat-based, environment, so maybe I should look into cards with Bloodthirst for example?)

Other than having those parts locked down, I am at sort of a crossroads. I am debating whether to make this cube tribal-based as well, since many face-down creatures either reference a tribe or are in a popular tribe (ie , etc) . My worries for it going in that direction are that far too much additional support needs to be added in for it to function properly. Another thought would be to just add some minor support for just some tribes; namely Human and Wizard (also contemplating Soldier, Zombie and Elf, but in lesser quantities), since these 2 seem to be the most abundant.

The other way this cube could go would be to include draft archetypes for each enemy and allied color-pair. I haven't fleshed this out at all, but some ideas I have been throwing around are flickering and bounce for UW and madness for BR for example.

TL;DR Should I make this cube regular riptide-y (more focused with overlapping archetypes) or just throw in every single card which works well with morph creatures and the mechanic itself?

Other things I am unsure of:

- If I am not focusing on tribal, should these go:

- What about he Changelings?
- Should I include the Ravnica Signets?
- How much fixing do I need?

I was humouring my self with the idea of morph cubes, and I think a big thing I think you need to decide on is what turns people should do what. Do you want the same tempo as in tarkir draft, with morphs turn three and unmorphs turn five? What body sizes do you want at different cmc's? I think this will naturally lend itself to lower power, so maybe you could take a look at lists like the charm cube and penny pincer cube here on riptide for clues on the fixing.

I was humouring my self with the idea of morph cubes, and I think a big thing I think you need to decide on is what turns people should do what. Do you want the same tempo as in tarkir draft, with morphs turn three and unmorphs turn five? What body sizes do you want at different cmc's? I think this will naturally lend itself to lower power, so maybe you could take a look at lists like the charm cube and penny pincer cube here on riptide for clues on the fixing.

I would say no. There is no set rules for that in here.

What I am limiting myself to are no creatures with a converted mana cost of 3 (unless they have morph) in the whole cube, safe for 1 - (which comes into play with a morph creature). The reason for this being that t3 is reserved exclusively to play a face-down creature. I did, however, include the Planeshift battlemages, but those hardly count since they aren't hitting play on turn 3 anyways.

The list also includes many mana elves (and other such accelerants like and ) on t1 to speed out morphs on t2, with morphs from throughout magic history.

'Unmorphs on turn 5' mean creatures which trade favorably against morphs for 5 mana I assume?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't think Sol Ring was ever fair in a 1-on-1 format, and it certainly doesn't sound fair in a format where people practically need to play grey ogres on turn 3. I would cut that thing fast. Ancient Tomb seems like more of a trade-off, since it actually costs you resources (life) to get ahead.

I think Tarkir was a better morph format than Onslaught as well. The "rule" that no morph should trade with another morph before turn five works pretty well. I.e., all morphs with a morph cost of four or less mana have either 2 or less toughness, or 1 or less power if they have >2 toughness. Either they trade with an opposing morph, or they don't kill it but can't be killed by the morph either. It prevents the feel-bad situations where you'ld just had to let trough the opposing morph lest you fall desperately behind because it is a Battering Craghorn, Daru Lancer, Hystrodon, etc. Onslaught felt a bit like Zendikar in that regard, where combat feels quite uninteractive. Because the chance for a blowout is too high, you're basically jamming morphs against each other until someone dies.

Also...

I think the upside of actually constricting yourself to these rules, is that it gives a feeling and strategic depth to the format, because you can start to think around what kind of creature your opponent's morphed. In KTK, there was a kind of race of who could flip up a morph first just because those 5 mana flip ups represented a really good effect or body in comparison to the other things you could play. If you want people to play morphs I think you need to be wary of what happens when you flip up those in comparison what you can do by just playing creatures face up, because there needs to be reward for the risk you take by playing grey ogres.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
As in KTK/OLS, when you design a format around morphs you're making a statement that 2/2s are important and that a 2/2 for 3 isn't embarrassing., and you need to stick to that: I would minimize the number of creatures with 3 or more toughness at 1-2 mana - certainly no Kird Ape/Loam Lion-style cards - and maybe go for stuff like Hero of Oxid Ridge or Keldon Champion over Hellrider so that your morphs can trade up profitably. The actual card Shock will be both good and a big statement about the format as it was in OLS, and Magma Jet is probably insane; in that vein, consider Crippling Fatigue, Guul Draz Assassin, CML favourite Gloomdrifter, Keening Banshee, Massacre Wurm, Consume Strength, Rakdos Guildmage, Barbarian Ring/Cabal Pit, Blazing Torch, Firebolt, Seal of Fire, Blazing Torch, Pyrite Spellbomb, Perilous Myr, Pyroclasm, Blast from the Past, Garruk Relentless (!). Under no circumstances include Sudden Shock.

Isn't unmorphing a special ability that doesn't use the stack and therefore you can still respond to sudden shock by flipping up?

Laz

Developer
Isn't unmorphing a special ability that doesn't use the stack and therefore you can still respond to sudden shock by flipping up?

Rule clarification from Gatherer:
07/06/2013Split second doesn't prevent players from performing special actions. Notably, players may turn face-down creatures face up while a spell with split second is on the stack.

I liked the restrictions on Morph in KTK. Morphs are a lot of hidden information, but having the knowledge that you weren't going to be completely blown out unless the opponent had 5 mana up significantly reduced the mental burden associated with trying to remember every morph in the set along with their unmorph costs.

Of course, if they did have 5 mana up, I always played way too scared into their Monastery Flocks. It is like playing Netrunner against a wealthy Corp. I am really good at imagining worst cases.

Depending on who you cube with, and how often, it may be that you do want to keep the mental burden of tracking every morph creature from throughout magic's history minimized by having KTK-style morph dot-points. Not knowing the exact outcome of attacking into a morph with {G}{R}{B} up is one thing, but knowing the approximate outcome will significantly speed things up.

I think that hits the nail on the head right. These rules are suggested because they make playing morphs less of a mental burden, and you can approximate the behaviour of a face down morph even without knowing what morph it is, so that people want to keep coming back to the cube.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I would run bouncelands over the janky or unfair ramp cards. If someone is going to cheat on morph costs, at least let them pay a price for it.

Would like some aggro strategies to take advantage of the durdle. Not sure what the best fit is.

Also, zombie cutthroat is a colorless card, and probably should be cut.

I don't think Sol Ring was ever fair in a 1-on-1 format, and it certainly doesn't sound fair in a format where people practically need to play grey ogres on turn 3. I would cut that thing fast. Ancient Tomb seems like more of a trade-off, since it actually costs you resources (life) to get ahead.

I think Tarkir was a better morph format than Onslaught as well. The "rule" that no morph should trade with another morph before turn five works pretty well. I.e., all morphs with a morph cost of four or less mana have either 2 or less toughness, or 1 or less power if they have >2 toughness. Either they trade with an opposing morph, or they don't kill it but can't be killed by the morph either. It prevents the feel-bad situations where you'ld just had to let trough the opposing morph lest you fall desperately behind because it is a Battering Craghorn, Daru Lancer, Hystrodon, etc. Onslaught felt a bit like Zendikar in that regard, where combat feels quite uninteractive. Because the chance for a blowout is too high, you're basically jamming morphs against each other until someone dies.

Also...

Hmm... I guess is pretty busted. Maybe I've been playing too much EDH and adding it was just 2nd nature to me already. :)

Tarkir morphs are much, much fairer, in the sense that you will know what to expect depending on available mana your opponent has. I did consider that in the beginning, but if I were to follow the 5 mana-rule, that would really limit the number of morphs I could include. Does anyone have any suggestions to strike a balance? If not, what would a good alternative be? I do want to a good mix of morph creatures between both blocks though.

I also considered the red priest to complement the Gix one... but at the time I was thinking that black would be the 'ritual' color. Should I include both after all?

As in KTK/OLS, when you design a format around morphs you're making a statement that 2/2s are important and that a 2/2 for 3 isn't embarrassing., and you need to stick to that: I would minimize the number of creatures with 3 or more toughness at 1-2 mana - certainly no Kird Ape/Loam Lion-style cards - and maybe go for stuff like Hero of Oxid Ridge or Keldon Champion over Hellrider so that your morphs can trade up profitably. The actual card Shock will be both good and a big statement about the format as it was in OLS, and Magma Jet is probably insane; in that vein, consider Crippling Fatigue, Guul Draz Assassin, CML favourite Gloomdrifter, Keening Banshee, Massacre Wurm, Consume Strength, Rakdos Guildmage, Barbarian Ring/Cabal Pit, Blazing Torch, Firebolt, Seal of Fire, Blazing Torch, Pyrite Spellbomb, Perilous Myr, Pyroclasm, Blast from the Past, Garruk Relentless (!). Under no circumstances include Sudden Shock.

I am guessing you didn't take a look at my list, as there aren't any creatures for 1-2 mana that trump a 2/2 in combat on its own.

Thanks for the comment on including more creatures with 2 or less toughness further up the curve; I will seriously consider that.

was indeed in the list initially, but I wasn't sure if I should include it. Would loading up red with all the 1 mana-2 damage spells be a little much, or be something worth doing, or too much? is an interesting one, have to think about that. Threshold does add another layer which I like. Consume and Guildmage are already in, although I am also thinking of replacing the Consume with as the 3-drop slot is getting a little crowded already. I also had the banshee in my 1st draft too but replaced it with to support Zombies a little even though it is much weaker.

is much too strong though and I am not sure whether I want something on 's level in this format. That's also why I opted for over something like . Perhaps I am being over wary?

And no, don't think I wan't to include walkers in this cube I don't think. :)

Yes it is, which is also why I included it. Gives a player a chance to respond to the split second if they have mana up. That also explains the in there.

A lot of people are talking about the '5 mana unmorph rule' though. Would it be that much of a mental burden to not follow that rule?
Anyways, thanks for the comments, keep 'em coming. :D

I would run bouncelands over the janky or unfair ramp cards. If someone is going to cheat on morph costs, at least let them pay a price for it.

Would like some aggro strategies to take advantage of the durdle. Not sure what the best fit is.

Also, zombie cutthroat is a colorless card, and probably should be cut.

1 of each bounceland will go in and Sol Ring is definitely out.
Which janky or unfair ramp cards are you referring to, Grillo?

I definitely would like to include some form of aggro in there. Perhaps some form of tribal (Humans/Soldiers/Zombies?) or tokens perhaps?

Cut you say? I will consider it, but why if I may ask? Is it way too overpowered in this format?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Well, the problem with zombie cutthroat is that you can run it any deck, and as a surprise 3 mana 3/4 it will just kill most of the cards that it runs into, which isn't fun for all of the reasons Laz provided above.

For unfair ramp, namely cards that have already been alluded to: sol ring and ancient tomb, though noble hierarch could probably be thrown in that category as well, due to the advantage it gives attacking gray ogres. Blood pet and wild cantor seem pretty bad, elvish pioneer not great, and birchlore rangers too narrow. Magus of the vineyard seems like it wants to go into a specific deck rather than be general ramp.

The akroma also seems pretty unbeatable.

What I would do is write out the guilds and establish a theme and sub theme for each of them. The reason I say this (besides me always saying this) is that looking over the list you are running cards like brine elemental and vesuvan shapeshifter. Shapeshifter is fine, but brine elemental needs to be good on its own to justify its slot in the cube. Now, there may be a deck for it to go into, but I don't see that here at this point, and writing out that list will provide some focus on where cards like brine elmental or magus of the vineyard fit into the cube.

It may be a morph cube, but what mechanics interact in interesting ways with morph? I see you already have some blink effects and manifest cards, and maybe those could be used to bolster some non-morph centric strategies that can overlay with or compete with the morph cards. That way you can focus the morph cards you run to be the ones healthy for the environment, rather than being priced into running branchsnap lorian to achieve a certain raw density.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You also have to remember that the 5-mana "rule" is not about only unmorphing for 5 mana or more, it's about morphs not being able to kill morphs before you reach five mana. I think Khans was a better environment as far as accomodating morphs go than Onslaught, so there might be some merit to that rule. It does mean you are missing out on some of the more playable morphs though, across all rarities, like Aven Liberator, Daru Lancer, Defender of the Order, Exalted Angel, Gravel Slinger (but not on attack, so it's probably fine), Ironfist Crusher, Liege of the Axe and Wingbeat Warrior in white. That rule leaves very little playables though :(

Laz

Developer
Wow, after only really playing with Khans morphs, seeing those white cards makes me appreciate what they did in Khans. How do you ever attack into {2}{W}{W}?

There is no reason why the mental dot-points need to be the Khans dot points. Maybe your critical mana value is four, or you know that 3-toughness creatures will bounce or trade, but morph vs morph combat is dicey?

Training Grounds is not missing because morph wasnt an activated ability!

One thing that i have been thinking is having a Polymorph shell with lots of manifest cards.
I find it funny that you could have an "aggro" deck with the potential to turn your bear into an Emrakul.

I know you want a morph vube, but I think there are probably too many morphs? I would go through on cubetutor and change the casting costs of when you are most likely to play the creatures on curve. There are some like willbender that you are incredibly unlikely to play for anything other than 3 colourless. I think you then need to have a serious look at how many are lumped in the three drop and weed out some of the weaker ones.

Other questions you might want to ask yourself:

What are my players doing on turns one and two? What should be in these slots?
What does my aggressive deck look like? Is it two drop beaters that use an excessive of two damage removal to remove any morphs that come down?

I think you need some three plus toughness cheap guys to help gum up the ground to help your morphs play out more strategically.

The focus on two damage removal is useful to an extent but what happens when they unmorph and have three or more toughness? What do you do then? A broader spread of interesting removal might be a better approach. I would also look at your cheap instant speed removal. There's nothing worse than paying three for a grey ogre only to have it shocked at the end of turn and time walked. Perhaps less shock and more things like

Please avoid sol ring, otherwise it will be the best card in your cube, and think about the role of greens one drop accelerators too. You might try

For something a bit fairer.

Thanks for all the comments, esp Grillo and Alfonzo; you guys gave me some insight.

Right now I'd like to write up some archetypes for each color pair... does anyone have any suggestions?

I think I can safely list down blink for UW.
UG are the colors with the most morph and morph-matters stuff.
Still rather iffy on the rest though.

Maybe consider how each pair interacts with morphs? Blinking is already one thing, are there other? Both with your own and or your opponents morphs.

Maybe consider how each pair interacts with morphs? Blinking is already one thing, are there other? Both with your own and or your opponents morphs.

So I've taken some time to think things over and I've managed to come up with some archetypes for a few of the color pairs. Also, since megamorph touches on +1/+1 counters, I decided to make +1/+1 counters a sort of overarching theme.

Here's what I've managed to come up with so far (the cards I listed are what I thought might be a good fit to the cube for their respective archetypes):

Azorius (UW)
- blink and bounce

Rakdos (BR)
- sacrifice

Selesnya (GW)
- +1/+1 counters

Orzhov (WB)
- human tribal

Boros (RW)
- heroic aggro

Izzet (UR)
- wizard tribal + pinging

As you can see, it's not really perfect. The UR archetype seems really iffy and I'm still trying to iron out the archetypes for the remaining color pairs, namely Dimir (UB), Gruul (RG) and Golgari (BG). For Dimir I was thinking just cards that mess around with the other archetypes.. say cards like Fate Transfer and Vampire Hexmage that hoses other archetypes for example (maybe in multiples)? For Gruul I thought of something different - a more controlling part of RG, where it defends and ramps up into huge monsters with monstrosity. I'm not sure where to go with BG; maybe some auras matters and bestow? I'm not sure I want to do something graveyard-based for this color pair again. And finally Simic is the color combination with the most morph cards, so that's sort of what GU is about (with some +1/+1 counter-matters stuff thrown in of course, ie the guildmage).

Well, that's all I have for now... Please give whatever comments, feedback, criticism and suggestions you might have. Cheers!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
For the red/black theme, you have plenty of ways to sacrifice, but you really need more things that can be profitably sacrificed. In that vein, you have three choices:

1) Cards that have bad bodies, but great ETBs.
2) Cards that make multiple bodies
3) Cards that come back to life

I think Bloodsoaked Champion is pretty much required here as it does the work, doesn't have top end case that gravecrawler can have that might disturb your cube's power level and has cross-synergy with the humans.

If we want to cross that into B/U, you could load up on cards that incidentally dump into the graveyard and go with lots of stuff that situationally comes back to life. Krovikan Horror, Bloodghast, Skaab Ruinator, Marang River Prowler, Oversold Cemetery, Oath of Ghouls, and such backed by cards like Intuition, Necromancer's Stockpile, Strategic Planning, Necromancer's Assistant and what have you.