General Balduvian Trading Post(s)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think 5th from the top is safe, I can't think of what card would be abusable. Stuff like oust sylvan library and such tends to interact with TOL higher up than the 5th card. The only interaction I can think of for 5th card (that doesn't involve a really obscure combination of TOL effects) is unexpectedly absent which, honestly, who cares.

I think the cleanest implementation is actually Jason's version, with a bit of sanitizing of the cube itself to remove BOL effects. I think the idea has legs and will give it a try once I finish dicking around with legacy mana (probably months down the road)

edit:

I think the brightest timeline for this thread is that it contains a mix of shitposts and really out there, yet legitimate, ideas (kinda like the aforementioned thread I made about lands...)

Well, the one thing I was thinking of was Scry abuse. But... I don't know, I guess you scry what you want to the bottom and then exile something from your hand? How does that exiling work with the new eldrazi?!?!?

Aoret

Developer
Hmm maybe there is something to 5th card then. I think this interacts favorably with ingest since the cards you ditch do give a marginal resource advantage to your opponent.

Somebody get a load of this ancient shit I dug up in the BTP forums.

OriginalOne said:
After observing firsthand the disaster that was our Colorless Communist Cube Project, we've walked away with a few lessons learned.

The Good:

1. Removing color identity did not go as badly as some of us previously assumed. In fact, a completely colorless environment led to the innovation of removing the mana system entirely. For if we shall not permit color screw, why permit mana screw to occur whatsoever?

2. The locally popular idea of going completely custom worked out fantastic here. We were able to create a small handful of effects that could be ran as multiples in the cube, eliminating the dreaded singleton individualist design most primitive cubes stick to for the most part.

3. All games were extremely close as card values were balanced so that no card was stronger nor weaker than any other card, capturing the closest thing to a perfectly balanced card game environment ever witnessed. It would make Karl proud.

The Bad:

1. Running no creatures but the "Russia Bear/you may only play one per turn" 2/2s that shuffled back into your library upon death led to games that quite literally never ended unless someone grew so weary they missed their bear drop for the turn or they just scooped out of fatigue.

2. Cantrips mean nothing when all they do is draw endless Russia Bear, as our extensive studying has shown.

3. Russia Bear being one of the only two cards in the "Colorless Communist Cube Project" wore thin as a joke relatively quickly.

Our conclusion is that despite the CCCP's apparent failure, there are some redeeming qualities here that could be tweeked to create a whole new project. First and foremost, bringing back variance in a whole new way. We've decided on keeping the manaless, colorless theme and changing how costs are paid. Our idea for new costs has essentially become "sacrifice for payment". For instance, a 1cmc or 2cmc creature or spell is free. 3cmc or 4cmc will require you to discard a card for spells and sacrifice one creature for a creature at this cost. Higher than that and the payments go up in varying degrees. The mana cost no longer exists. Only this new value, where you'd essentially toss out 1 & 2 to pay for 3. Various effects will altar the value accumulated by doing so, and the number of creatures you may play per turn might have to be limited unless otherwise specified on some cards. We've also considered adding a "noncreature" zone to limit the number of spells played per turn to something reasonable. Essentially you would play your sorceries into this zone and they would sit there until your turn ended. Artifacts don't exist in our format, but as far as enchantments are concerned, they eat up a noncreature space in your zone indefinitely unless you or your opponent deals with them. You'd only have X number of spots(x is tbd), and would have to plan carefully. Instants would also have to be played here, but only on your turn. You could play them face down to keep information hidden from your opponent as to what it may be, and flip it to cast it whenever you normally could. This has to be done to keep players from "going off" with free cantrips that they've saved up in hand on the end of their opponent's turn, as now their instants drawn cannot be used until placed face down on their turn first. Clearly there is a lot more that needs to be figured out, such as whether or not creature types should matter and what to call the new pricing system. But these are things we'll develop more as we work on this new project, which shall be dubbed The Pyramid Project. There's still more stuff we've thought up for this project that we should probably share here, but seeing as Konami just released a new Castlevania game with a rather challenging undead pharaoh we need to deal with, we'll get to that later.

I'd love to see how disaster 2.0 turned out but I couldn't find any other posts by the guy after that one.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So I was at FNM the other week, and a guy came up to me that I hadn't seen there before. He was quite imposing - he was over 6 feet tall, very muscular, with a shaved head. Apparently someone had pointed him in my direction because he was after a foil Lazav, Dimir Mastermind which he was after for a deck. We pulled out our binders, and I picked a few things out. As I was doing so, he told me that he wanted Lazav for his EDH deck. Apparently, this deck was themed around Doctor Who, and he wanted Lazav for the general to represent the Doctor, as he thought Lazav's ability was a good way to show the Doctor's "regenerations". I picked up a couple of bits and pieces I'd been after and handed over his new general, and he went away happy.

Anyway that's my bald Whovian trading post.

Hahaha, 18 likes! I think you set a record :D

Yu-Gi-Oh was the most misleading shit ever. I remember when I first bought a starter deck and played with friends and I was like wait, we have 8000 life. I can't just play this giant thing and hit you? This sucks. And I can't make infinity Kuriboh? Fuck this game.

Wanting to improve my Eldrazi based deck

I want to keep all of my big eldrazi and ugin anything else in the deck can be replaced.
Problems I've noticed are
1. early board presence
2.more mana!
I can't dump any large quantities of cash but I am willing to buy what I feel is worth the investment
Also I'm not clear with the deck building mechanics so any help with that is greatly appreciated as well4 Mountain

MY DECK
3 Swamp
3 Island
3 Forest
2 Rupture Spire
Transguild Promenade
Crumbling Necropolis
4 Opulent Palace
Consecrated Sphinx
2 Mortuary Mire
2 Evolving Wilds
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth (foiled)
4 Zombify
Zulaport Cutthroat
Ruinous Path
2 Diabolic Tutor
2 Archfiend of Depravity
2 Grave Birthing
Sire of Stagnation
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
Herald of Kozilek
Managorger Hydra
Brood Monitor
3 Eyeless Watcher
Nissa's Renewal
2 Call the Scions
Primeval Titan
Conduit of Ruin
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Endless One
Pathrazer of Ulamog
2 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
3 Trailblazer's Boots
2 Darksteel Myr
Breaker of Armies
Elixir of Immortality
Sword of the Animist
Bane of Bala Ged
Oblivion Sower
2 Akroma's Memorial
2 Sol ring

https://www.reddit.com/r/CasualMTG/comments/3p8uhe/wanting_to_improve_my_eldrazi_based_deck/

Look, I'll never in my life write a joke as funny as the last line being "2 Sol Ring"

I don't mean to make fun of the guy, I just love the meta-less casual piles people make

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Something with a bit of meat to it:
TheExistantOne said:
So, decided to post after reading about the fractal cube. Idea seems great, but slightly out of my budget range :p
So I was trying to see if there was any way to budget-ise this while keeping the concept of a meta-cube intact.

My current result is something I would like to call correlating cubes.
You have your list of n cubes and decide to pick one to draft. The catch is, that each card in that cube correlates to another card in another one of the n cubes. This seems like a great way to only draft once and get a pile of decks to play (as we all know the drafting process is the most tedious portion). The best part is that the correlations can go in so many different ways. You could go with Bone Shredder -> Reclamation Sage an easy example of colourshifting but keeping the same curve. Why not shift entire archetypes? Like Artifact Aggro (the best archetype) to something a little different like Threshold Kuldotha Rebirth -> Wild Mongrel.

The best part is you could run a gauntlet of the decks. Opponent having trouble? Give him the deck in your 'perfect enemy' correlated cube. Accidentally drafted midrange again? Check out the 'only aggro' correlated cube for something different to play.

The depth is only as shallow as you make it. The only downside is the correlating process. Having to dictate which cards are equivalent to others could be quite tiring, but in the end should be worth it. I've just been testing this in excel spreadsheets at this point in time and it is servicable, I would however like some simple program to spew out decklists at me. I know most of you aren't programmers, but it wouldn't hurt to throw it out there to get this idea to stick.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I know we sometimes get a little extreme here, but did you guys see that guy on BTP suggesting giving drafters unlimited fetchlands?

Oh wait, that was here. <3

Cube: Legacy.
At the end of each game, the loser may sharpie a new ability on one of their cards.
I think this will solve a lot of the problems facing people with new playgroups who draft poorly for whatever reason and would otherwise have people going 0-3 all the time. Just don't let your little brother cube with you.

At the end of each game, the loser may sharpie a new ability on one of their cards.
I think this will solve a lot of the problems facing people with new playgroups who draft poorly for whatever reason and would otherwise have people going 0-3 all the time. Just don't let your little brother cube with you.

One of mtgoacademy's video contributors did this. Can't find link button on mobile: http://theshipitholla.blogspot.com/search/label/Cube: Legacy?m=0

Found the original of this here. I guess CFB are just rehosting BTP posts now?!