General Balduvian Trading Post(s)

Aoret

Developer
I mean, I like combos as much as the guys at McDonalds, but Persist + Undying seems a bit too easy...

What if I have to combo it by merging two cards between my correlating cubes? How, you ask? Well, I found this gem....

Veraku said:
After reading TheExistantOne's post about correlating cubes, but the idea felt a bit too simplistic and flat to me. We've explored cube creation and drafting in multiple dimensions, but why do we restrict ourselves to playing games of Magic in one dimension? Why not play a set of correlating games simultaneously with each deck drafted from our correlating cubes? I'll admit, this isn't for closed minded or casual players, but anyone with reasonable APM should be able to easily keep up. Just think of the additional testing data we can gather this way!

It's really just the next logical step to explore merging the games and finding combos between the alternate universes we create, right?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Metamorphling said:
I've been mulling over PersistantPillar's Conspiracy Theory cube for a while, and while that Splintering Wind, Crib Swap, Summoner's Bane, Meloku the Clouded Mirror metagame was pretty inbred, it did lead to some fun games. I was thinking, maybe PP was a bit too extreme in its execution, and we could, you know, think up something in the spirit of conspiracies, but more balanced. Which led me to the idea of giving everyone a planeswalker emblem at random at the start of the draft, but that turned out to be pretty stupid as well. (Holy crap did the mono red KotH deck do some filthy things! Until it lost to the Venser deck in the finals of course...) Anyway, I next turned to an idea that so far holds a bit more promise: hand out a conspiracy card to everyone pre-draft and have it affect every card. So, this had some balance issues as well. Finks was pretty annoying in the Muzzio's Preparations deck, but had nothing on the prowess deck with Iterative Analysis that just burned through its library. Oh, and the Sentinel Dispatch gal was pretty upset with her card. Cute robots! But, to the point, I think Brago's Favor held the most promise, and I'm now looking to build a cube that gives everyone a deck-wide Favor. Could use some help sorting through all the commons that suddenly are worth cubing, because of course we're not cubing with proven staples at this point, like the sheeple over at mtgs.

A rough list to show where this is going...

Ok, I lied about Mulldrifter. Sue me!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Was there a follow-up post on what they did about alternate costs? I can't imagine Evoking Mulldrifter often for {2}{U} when the hardcast is {3}{U}.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Was there a follow-up post on what they did about alternate costs? I can't imagine Evoking Mulldrifter often for {2}{U} when the hardcast is {3}{U}.

I think they kinda skipped that discussion, Mulldrifter just got axed.

Metamorphling said:
theyrecomingtotakemeaway said:
You're a sellout Meta, you should be taking the road less traveled, not the road trampled to diamond concrete rock. DON'T JOIN THE FLOCK! Eh, I mean, there's got to be more interesting options than Mulldrifter available! Like, uhm, Sphinx of Lost Truths or Noggle Ransacker (ruuuun hiiiiim!). I'm kinda liking Nantuko Cultivator in this slot as well, he's a lot more playable at {2}{G}!
Ooooh, Cultivator is an awesome suggestion! Not really card advantage though. Eidolon of Blossoms sure looks playable though in this cube! Maybe I should move the cards off creatures theme to green? Mulldrifter is in everybody's cube/edh deck/casual elementals deck anyway, you're right, I'll cut it! Thanks for the input!

How to Succeed in Manafixing (Without Really Trying)
Step 1: Remove all duals and fixing lands from your Land Draft (this assumes you're running all lands in the Land Draft obv)
Step 2: Proxy 40-70 Evolving Wilds (i know theyre cheap but buying them indirectly supports WOTC)
Step 3: Sharpie out the word "basic" on each of your Evolving Wilds.
Step 4: Sleeve up your new manafixing section
Step 5: ????
Step 6: Profit and donate the profits to greenpeace

Ferret dug up a really sweet post while we were jamming on Cockatrice, something about divvying your deck up into two piles, one 'mostly lands' and the other 'mostly spells', and players would draw from the pile of their choice.

I wish I'd kept a link, but I'm sure at some point he'll be able to elaborate on it a little more? Clearly it was influenced by that reddit shuffling method but the potential to slightly weaken tutors (iirc you'd choose a pile before resolution?) or strengthen Wishes was the part that stuck out to me. Sort of a stepping stone between no mana variance and normative mana variance?

Flarb.

Hearthstone and WoWTCG mana is too smooth, there's little difference between fast and slow decks, they all have exactly as much mana as they need and every card is always gas, there's no knob you can twist to be greedy or conservative and try to build around that. This is closer to the Platonic Card Game Ideal but baddies like their luck, so here's a compromise.

WitCh employees put roughly one red card in each pack but not always so here we emulate them, not because they do anything right ever, but because it's what the people are used to.

Emulating the perfect, luck-free format Fat Stack we make a land deck and a gas deck. 11 of your lands go in the land deck, along with 6 of your non-lands. (making up numbers here) So when you need land, you have a strong chance of finding it in the land deck, and vice versa for the gas deck.

Whenever you draw one or more cards, you decide which deck you'll be drawing them from. And whenever you tutor or otherwise look at a deck that belongs to you or an opponent, you decide which deck to look through. So this is also an indirect nerf to tutors; every so often, the card you want is in the wrong deck and you have to tutor your 2nd-best option.

As we all know, criticism is unkind and unfair, so just tell me how much you like this in the comments.

Laz

Developer
Didn't they ban Hoombalduduvuvu because his ideas were too reasonable?

I just did a search on him, and he hasn't posted anything since late-2014. It is possible I suppose, this was his second to last post:
Hoombalduduvuvu said:
I know criticism is unkind and unfair, but I feel I have to be slightly critical of this one. When this was 4 cubes, it was a logistical nightmare. Now it has reached 4096 simultaneous cubes, I have to suspect it is out and out impossible.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So I was trying to lurk around BTP for a bit of a laugh while I ate dinner, but whenever I tried to go to their site, I just kept getting redirected here.

I don't understand what is going on. Have they been hacked or something? Was someone here responsible?

I guess I will just have to try and glean info from google archives while this mess gets sorted.

Someone else check, just in case it is just me.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
anotak's computer-assisted drafting thread is going down like a lead balloon over there:

TranscendentMaster said:
So I tried loading my hypercube onto a quantum supercomputer to arrange card distribution in packs, and I've determinate that it's a terrible idea. How am I meant to pick a card when the act of opening a pack changes its contents? Is this even going to work on MTGO, which is still stuck in one dimension? And why would there be any possible world where I choose to include Savage Knuckleblade?!

blkwlf987 said:
Your mistake is assuming you have a choice, but I can't fault you: believing that isn't a choice either. In fact, you might say all drafting is computer-assisted: you are in a computer simulation right now. All of your future picks have been made for you.

There is no 'my' cube or 'your' cube. There is only the cube.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Blue Jund is called Grixis.

Snag does not rhyme with leg. This person does not understand Jund.

Why would you just not play merfolk? Ugh...I don't even...what did I just watch?

Blue Jund is called Grixis.

Snag does not rhyme with leg. This person does not understand Jund.

Why would you just not play merfolk? Ugh...I don't even...what did I just watch?

a comedy post you forgot to laugh at. this is best show tier imo, where the funniest jokes only land if you already get them.

How to Succeed in Manafixing (Without Really Trying)
Step 1: Remove all duals and fixing lands from your Land Draft (this assumes you're running all lands in the Land Draft obv)
Step 2: Proxy 40-70 Evolving Wilds (i know theyre cheap but buying them indirectly supports WOTC)
Step 3: Sharpie out the word "basic" on each of your Evolving Wilds.
Step 4: Sleeve up your new manafixing section
Step 5: ????
Step 6: Profit and donate the profits to greenpeace
fuck greenpeace I love nuclear power

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I wish they had a solution for nuclear waste though.

One day we can just email it to the sun or something.

No I agree. But I think it's a good transition power source while we cut down on fossil fuels. (to be honest, my opinion is not founded on much research - mostly I just think splitting the atom is badass)