Sets Battle for Zendikar Spoilers

I checked my own cube list, and I was surprised to find that Inquisition of Kozilek hits more spells (217) than Transgress the Mind (165), so it's debatable whether that effect's worth one more mana to try and snatch a higher-impact spell, though it's nice to have the option. Appetite for Brains has too few targets (97) and has too high a chance of whiffing, for me.

It makes sense, many of our cubes lend to a more legacy-lite composition valuing curve and the ability to play multiple spells in a turn. This naturally leads to more 2s and 3s than most lists. Often times Inquisition has been better than Thoughtseize in my drafts just based on the sheer number of targets. I do like the new spell though so I'll give it a try and see if it's actually any good. I'm more excited for it in Standard than anything. I really want to go T1 Bloodsoaked Champion, T2 Dragon Fodder, T3 rip away your wrath, T4 Brutal Hordechief.

Brutal expulsion reads weird. Does the spell get countered when returned? I assume so. Still doesn't seem very exciting.

But let's talk about Transgress the Mind. I dislike it. Why? I'm glad I asked myself that.

Now with every return to X, we're bound to see familiar things that instill a feeling of nostalgia. But this is the beginning of a new age in MtG without core sets. So why not just reprint nostalgic things that people like or may need for your overpriced Modern format? I dunno, stuff like Inquisition of Kozilek? Sure, Kozilek and Emrakul left according to the lore, but Kozilek still has grunts running around. I mean really, this isn't even as good as IoK. They could've easily just made a better Appetite for Brains. I don't think ANYONE would've screamed "power creep" at that. Now sure, maybe a couple admirers of the 3cmc stuff would be upset that cards at their favorite point on the mana curve are vunerable to 2 separate one mana eldrazi discard spells, but that's not a big deal. Don't even get me started on the damn art. It's a shallow attempt at trying to be IoK, but "more disturbing". IoK was already nailing diturbing and horrifying quite well without seeming too try hard. This reeks of "tryhard" edginess on the same levels as angsty deviantart sonic fursona types and all the sad cringe stuff they put out. Now obviously a lot more work went into making this art than opening up Windows Paint to add more spikes and chains to shadow the hedgehog before recoloring him as their "original fursona character", but it still feels like the same type of knock off crap. I don't care how magical this game is or how alien the eldrazi are supposed to be, reaching through what appears to be the lower back part of someone's skull with two arms to pry open their mouth would not only kill said person, but probably help very little with tearing something out of their thoughts. It's just way too over the top and ridiculous. Looks more like a Chris Angel stunt than a nightmarish monster attack. It doesn't help that Ulamog's brood lacks scare factor. You dropped the ball on this one, WotC. Get your head in the game.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Brutal expulsion reads weird. Does the spell get countered when returned? I assume so. Still doesn't seem very exciting.

The spell leaves the stack when it is returned to its owner's hand, so yeah, it's "countered". It's worth noting that it doesn't technically counter the spell though, so you can "counter" stuff like Obliterate with Brutal Expulsion.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
My god, I only just saw the rarity symbol on Fathom Feeder. How is a bad Azure Mage worthy of a rare slot? I mean, it has deathtouch, but the downgrade to 1/1 and making the activation cost a man more expensive, and oh, making it two colors is more than enough to compensate that ability, right? Sheesh! There are better gold uncommons in the set, multiple better uncommons... Is ingest on a deathtouch creature really that good that they had to make this a rare?

Ingest deathtouch was probably deemed too powerful to be showing up all over the place in limited. That's a sign that ingest is actually going to be a powerful and relevant thing in this environment. I expect some powerful (in limited) ingest-utilizing commons if that's the case. And that makes me think this set might feel a lot like Kamigawa in that the archetypes are very specific to the block and aren't going to be relevant to eternal formats. At least we still get some planeswalkers, lands and a few rares/mythics like Doubleternal Witness so the set isn't a whiff for cube, but I wouldn't expect a lot.

dragonmasteroutcast.jpg

M-m-mythic repriiiiiiint (at least it isn't comet storm tier)
painfultruths.jpg

Sorcery
Converge - Draw x cards and lose x life, where x is the number of colors spent to cast ~

I don't really know how I feel about this being rare... I mean at anything but 3 colors it's just worse than read the bones, a common, and it's not like a third color even makes it necessarily better... I double-checked that it was a sorcery, and alas.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Dragonmaster was a mythic beforehand
81.jpg

New Read the Bones: Eh, I get it. It's a 3 for one after all, and I've run many an EDH deck with Ancient Craving. I don't think it's a great rare, but I can see it not being an uncommon

Yeah, by 'mythic reprint' I just meant they were reprinting a mythic card. That didn't happen often outside of core sets (walkers, titans, godforsaken cards like time reversal) but I guess we'll see it often-ish now that core is dead.

I get that "draw three" might be a bit better than they want an uncommon to be in this particular limited format, but I don't subscribe to the "just bump it to rare/mythic" school of design.

I am all about that Dragonmaster reprint! Should put it into pick-up range for my cube. Tasty.

I'd rather Pain's Reward if I wanted a Read the Bones variant. If it were instant speed, maybe, but... It ain't. So. Meh.