Sets Battle for Zendikar Spoilers

Wait... fat eternal witness is mythic design now? Wotc pls.

SPEAKING of super duper design:
shamblingvent.jpg

...wee.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I love the elf.

The land is exactly what everyone already was running (whether on a custom card or in theirdreams). Now you can have a professionally produced version of your design! Yeah?

I'm not crazy about the Shambling Vent, but I'll probably toss it in the ULD, cuz manlands are neat.

Drana's Emissary.. I wish her stats were pushed just a notch! I really like the art and flavour (I'm a big Drano fan), and my WB section is not the clearest thematically. Alas.

Skyrider seems ok but I'm not sure a 4/4 flier for 4 (which seems like a most common case scenario) is necessarily where UG wants to be. Tempting, though. I like the potential.

Greenwarden seems like a potential pick-up, but again, not sure I'm sold. I love my double Witness package, so Warden looks like a nice extension of that. 6-drops are a tough sell here though, and I'm not sure Warden is quite exciting enough to pass muster.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Theoretical Drana seems spot on for me. Even though black 3 is uber-sweet, if this card is real its a no question dunk.

The reason I like the Skyrider is it gives you 3 (or even 4!) different cards in one, all of which are sub-cube card, but close enough that it is never embarrassing. The flexibility and the +1/+1 counter support makes it a really cool card.

Love Treeternal Witnesss, more interesting than the generic dumb green fatties. You can't even Eldrazi seems like a fun ramp target. I'm loving that XUG flyer, so many different ways to play it. Get a giant dude in the later game with more colors or an efficient 2/2 for 2 flyer early, good design.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Skyrider seems ok but I'm not sure a 4/4 flier for 4 (which seems like a most common case scenario) is necessarily where UG wants to be. Tempting, though. I like the potential.

Does this make sense? If it's a 4/4 for 4, we can be sure that your deck is not straight UG. But I'm just nitpicking. I'm not sure what decks an efficient flyer fits into any more. If it was XRG it would super awesome.

In most decks, skyrider won't be more than a 3/3 and you won't get that until T4 or later. So while it's cool, I don't think that is worth a gold slot personally.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I want this card in any aggressive g/u deck.

I really want it in any g/u/w or r/u/g agressive deck, both of which often take advantage of +1/+1 counter incentive cards.

I like how it can turn an extra random color of mana off of gemstone mine, city of brass, birds of paradise, vivid lands or undiscovered paradise into an extra +1/+1 if you draw it late.

Granted, its a source of +1/+1 counters and not an incentive, but its a really good, flexible, non-poisonous source.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also, my cube supports {U/R}, {B/G} and {R/W} (in addition to {U/B} and {G/W}), and we get the {W/B} and {G/U} lands first? Seriously? Are you messing me Wizards? Are you?

Ok, I want these:

Boulder Alley.full.jpg Floating Vein.full.jpg Undying Soil.full.jpg

Ok, one of these is not going to happen. No, wait, two of these aren't going to happen. Ok, the {R/W} is really sweet Wizards, please! These have to be on par with Creeping Tar Pit and Stirring Wildwoods!

Hm... podding 'lark into the treeternal witness... this is promising.
I swear though, the nicknames in this set are awesome :)

Does this make sense? If it's a 4/4 for 4, we can be sure that your deck is not straight UG. But I'm just nitpicking. I'm not sure what decks an efficient flyer fits into any more. If it was XRG it would super awesome.
I was talking about my format; should've made that more clear. Between dual lands and rainbow-enablers like Birds of Paradise, it would be very simple to make a 4/4 out of it without trying very hard at all in my own environ, where UG tends to splash 2 other colours; card selection+colour fixing is very strong for that. A 5/5 is ambitious, but 4/4, I think would be the best-common case over here, as it scales nicely with the game.

I don't understand why they wasted a gold mechanic in a non-gold set.

Honestly, it just feels very out of place. No set has gone without a gold subtheme since RTR. I'm sick of it.

Also, my cube supports {U/R}, {B/G} and {R/W} (in addition to {U/B} and {G/W}), and we get the {W/B} and {G/U} lands first? Seriously? Are you messing me Wizards? Are you?

Ok, I want these:

View attachment 413 View attachment 414 View attachment 415

Ok, one of these is not going to happen. No, wait, two of these aren't going to happen. Ok, the {R/W} is really sweet Wizards, please! These have to be on par with Creeping Tar Pit and Stirring Wildwoods!

I swear though, the nicknames in this set are awesome :)

My favorites nicknames people have come up with so far are Social Justice Warrior Gideon and You can't even Eldrazi. Also, that blue/red manland design is sweet, but is never going to happen ;_;