Sets Battle for Zendikar Spoilers

The new black 4-drop is pretty tempting...
but I hate the art. I hate all these Eldrazi. Why am I still debating buying any of this sealed product? I cannot stand these clownish Eldrazi. They all look like they were made out of play doh or something. The other art so far is mostly fine, but these Eldrazi, who let all of these ugly things wind up on cards? And the frames aren't much better. They look very try-hard. I don't know, this just isn't doing it for me. I'm liking the Awaken Hero's Downfall and the Awaken board wipe. I guess that's something..

zwhmpt.png

(I know this is supposed to be the hype train so I will do my best to make this the last time I whine about art in this thread, but man you guys, these eldrazis sure have been el doozys...)

Most of the eldrazi are from one brood. Ulamog's brood. Now while Ulamog was my favorite of the three, his brood are a different story. They're all stuck somewhere between being too human and not enough alien. I get the route that creative was taking with them. Creatures of an uncanny resemblance to humans but off by just enough to invoke some form of xenophobia akin to the automatonophobia some people feel when they look at a Working Joe in Alien: Isolation. Unfortunately, this is the SECOND time WotC has failed at doing this and I'm thinking they should quit it. The first time was with the new slivers and we ALL know how that went over. Honestly, when I imagine scary Eldrazi, I see Inquisition of Kozilek. You can remove the man in agonizing pain from the picture and you still have this horrifying lovecraftian monster reminiscent of something sketched by Stephen Gammell with colors done by a pro. I think that's what Eldrazi should be.

And if you disagree with me, you're dumb and wrong.

Aoret

Developer
At what mana cost and/or body size is Zada cubeable? I really dig the effect, but as has been pointed out, hill giant is pretty shitty...

I'm not really seeing the Zada fuss, seems pretty terrible. What instants and sorceries are most of you playing that makes it a decent pick? The new black four drop is very interesting and certainly a contender.

Aside, how can there only be two new cards on day two of official spoilers on the mothership? Lame.

At what mana cost and/or body size is Zada cubeable? I really dig the effect, but as has been pointed out, hill giant is pretty shitty...

I feel like that's asking "How big of a pizza should I order?" The answer is it depends; how many people are you feeding, and how hungry are they? Zada to me looks pretty piss-poor outside of an environment dedicated to combat tricks. Slapping him into a format that does not have a heavy trick tilt means he will be poisonous garbage most of the time and broken combo enabler other times. If your environ is trick-heavy, Zada is probably good as-is. If it's trick-lite, it depends on format speed a lot. Personally, if an environ was, say, 450-ish and had around 20 different tricks and a well-managed removal power level, I'd like him as a 4-mana Suspend-1 with his current stats so he can hit the board hasty with mana open to trick while also not being a threat until T5-ish, but that's me.

Zada is cool, but I don't think he has a place in the majority of our cubes. I just don't run enough combat tricks or buffs in general where his payoff is actually worth it. He's much more abusable in Standard and EDH, just not a good fit within our cubes. That sacrifice Eldrazi though? Oh baby.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The new black 4-drop is pretty tempting...
but I hate the art. I hate all these Eldrazi. Why am I still debating buying any of this sealed product? I cannot stand these clownish Eldrazi. They all look like they were made out of play doh or something. The other art so far is mostly fine, but these Eldrazi, who let all of these ugly things wind up on cards? And the frames aren't much better. They look very try-hard. I don't know, this just isn't doing it for me. I'm liking the Awaken Hero's Downfall and the Awaken board wipe. I guess that's something..

zwhmpt.png

(I know this is supposed to be the hype train so I will do my best to make this the last time I whine about art in this thread, but man you guys, these eldrazis sure have been el doozys...)

You can name spoiler tags???

spawnofakoum.jpg

Flying
Landfall - Ping a creature or player, if it's a mountain shock instead.
deathlessbehemoth.jpg

Vigilance
sacrifice 2 eldrazi scions: return ~ from your graveyard to your hand. (Sorcery speed limitation)
tajuruwarcaller.jpg

Flickerbait?

This is definitely because I'm old school, but I really dislike the idea of bringing cards back from exile. It used to be "remove from game". That is what "exile" means to me. And if you removed it from the game, it's gone. Forever. Until a new game starts.

It's like reincarnation in D&D. You died. Make a new character. If you can just come back to life, where is the finality? Where is the danger?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This is definitely because I'm old school, but I really dislike the idea of bringing cards back from exile. It used to be "remove from game". That is what "exile" means to me. And if you removed it from the game, it's gone. Forever. Until a new game starts.

It's like reincarnation in D&D. You died. Make a new character. If you can just come back to life, where is the finality? Where is the danger?

With the BIG (imho) difference that you are bringing back cards in exile your opponent owns. No shenanigans with rebuying your own stuff!

where is the finality? Where is the danger?

To be fair, mill (and by extension ingest, which is just 'exile mill') is USUALLY just as final- "aha, got your *best threat* with my random mill!" is one of the worst incidental effects in the game IMO (Sure, there is some play around it, but not a lot). Ingest/processors (the eldrazi that 'return' ingested cards) is just wizards' attempt at making another resource pool. They eat your opponent's library and then you can poop stuff back into their graveyard to gain some minor benefit from digesting its proteins or whatever you want to say. Think of ingest/process as more of a weird delayed oblivion ring mill.

P.S. Why is nullifier black in the slightest?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Magic has always suffered from not having a 'holding zone' of some sort, IMO. The weirdest thing was that you used to be able to Wish for a card that was 'outside the game' including a card locked under Oblivion Ring. 'Exile' is a bit better but still doesn't sit right with me.

With the BIG (imho) difference that you are bringing back cards in exile your opponent owns. No shenanigans with rebuying your own stuff!

It's not about the mechanic itself. I don't think it's broken from a gameplay standpoint. I just don't like it flavor-wise is all.

I agree there probably should be a "holding zone" that isn't exile (or maybe that's "exile" and you go back to "Remove from game" as completely gone forever). I definitely would have gone in a different direction if I designed this game. Nothing annoys me more than having something be "final" and then breaking that rule later. It's basically deus ex machina.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
groverumbler.jpg

This dude is cool. 5/5s for 4 aren't really special, but trample is definitely a keyword I want on beefy bruiser like this. Landfall is also awesome and being able to stretch the steppe lynx gameplan into the later portions of the game is pretty cool.

Unfortunately, it has one of the worst casting costs in the game, but if you look closely all of the 4cc R/G drops are value, so if you are looking for beef instead, this guy should be pretty interesting. Its also one more card that can make scapeshift cubable if anyone is still looking to do that.