Sets Battle for Zendikar Spoilers

Aoret

Developer
God the page load in between those last two posts really sealed the deal for me.

Also, might just be me but that CML post didn't read as curmudgeon-y to me. More just being wtf'd by prerelease card evaluation (which is something I sympathize a lot with)

Eh, he looks pretty much like his other arts, and he's re-acquiring pieces of his "Planeswalkers of the past" armor. His physical identifiers, the glowing lines, are still there.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
for a creature type that's not humanoid, nor based on anything in reality, i find that the old, abstract renditions of demons are better than the current, digital, pseudo-3D-rendered depictions in giving you a sense of their supernatural qualities and their malevolence

this is probably the classic example

but there's also this guy

What's the story with Ob Nixilis? He was a planeswalker, then he wasn't, and now he is again?

Basically that.

Story-wise, he was some human warlord who then sacrificed two of his lieutenants in some ritual to win a battle and also ascend. He made some sort of pact/did a few other rituals to become a demon, and he just went around destroying planes and stuff. Then he got to Zendikar and Nahiri wrecked his shit and bound him with a hedron that shut off his powers and pretty much imprisoned him on the plane. He was immortal though, so he just plotted his revenge and waited for a day to be free of the hedron. Then Jace comes along with M15 and does some shit to get the hedron to stop Garruk from turning into a monster. Ob is like, sweet, now I can do shit again. And he slowly heals before he finds some green orb thing which is apparently a part of Zendikar's life force. That helps him heal up faster, and he slowly gains back his powers as well. His spark never died, it just sort of fizzled down to being useless. I guess he gets it back sometime in BFZ.

Easily better than most 'walkers. I figure Karn has the power of old lore and Ajani has seen some shit, but honestly the vast majority of planeswalkers have derp lore.

Edit: I dunno if anyone else thinks the Expeditions arts are sweet, but here's a new one:
godlessshrine.jpg

Godless shrine art keeping it real since OG

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Easily better than most 'walkers. I figure Karn has the power of old lore and Ajani has seen some shit, but honestly the vast majority of planeswalkers have derp lore.

Edit: I dunno if anyone else thinks the Expeditions arts are sweet, but here's a new one:
godlessshrine.jpg

Godless shrine art keeping it real since OG

Guys! New Spoiler!
Awwww. Well at least it looks cool

Aoret

Developer
Their type box begs to differ Mr. Källqvist! :p

In other news Ob Nixilis' lore is basically Gideon's mechanic?

Not gonna lie, if that reddit post is right about Ob Nixilus I'll be so disappointed. It's solid but easily the most lazy design on an otherwise interesting character that WotC has done yet. I mean really, you have a demonwalker and the most exciting things it can do is be a black Tamiyo? Lame.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Not gonna lie, if that reddit post is right about Ob Nixilus I'll be so disappointed. It's solid but easily the most lazy design on an otherwise interesting character that WotC has done yet. I mean really, you have a demonwalker and the most exciting things it can do is be a black Tamiyo? Lame.

how are you getting black tamiyo from +1 draw a card lose a life, -3 kill something?
Vraska maybe.
Unless we're talking about a different post? o.O

how are you getting black tamiyo from +1 draw a card lose a life, -3 kill something?
Vraska maybe.
Unless we're talking about a different post? o.O

They both have roughly the same effect on the game. Dealing with creatures in grindy ways and providing you with cards at a bit of a price. I dunno, maybe I'm reaching a bit.

He's too good to be compared to Vraska. Almost strictly better. He just seems on par with Tamiyo's power level I guess.

Major point being he's a boring demon and I was expecting more.

Wait, are these new Shocklands standard legal, or, what's the deal with them?

They are legal in Limited (draft and sealed) and all the formats their "true" printings are legal in. So you can show off when you draft one but can't use 'em in standard (except for the BFZ lands).
I don't like how these new full art lands look. Which is probably good since they are going to cost a fortune.

I kind of agree, really. The text box is huge and they made too much space at the bottom of the card to show off the "hedron frame." I really love Zendikar's world and land art, though.

Between the massive, off-colored text box and the flavor-association I've made with Shocks to Ravnica, these just feel "wrong." The arts by themselves are gourgeous though.

Yeah. No complaints about the art. It's the weird text box placement and overall frame design. It reminds me of Future Sight, but much worse.