CML's Cube (405, polychromatic)

CML

Contributor
It might not merit a slot but it's definitely sweet.

I tried Necropotence and hated it. Also leaving are Archfiend of Depravity and a couple of other crappy cards.

Next on the docket to try:

someone gimme the lowdown on these!

Necropotence really isn't made for cube, unless you have some specific theme.

Sygg is cool, I've never gotten it to work in cube.
Mortify is... boring, but better then disenchant.
Phyrexian Reclamation rocks.
Skirsdag High Priest doesn't.
Crystal Shard is fun if you like durdly shit.
Why are you asking about Brainstorm?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I like Bow of Nylea, but have a hard time imagining it works better as you increase power level. I'm always surprised by how relevant one of the modes always seems to be at the current stage of a game.

Wandering Champion looks awful, Sygg never did much for me, Mastery of the Unseen might be good compared to Heliod, but if we are comparing it to Heliod, can it actually be that good?

Reclamation is the best, Frantic Search owns, I want Torrent Elemental to be good tell me if it doesn't suck.

Into the Roil is fine, Ribbons is fine, how many brainstorms are you at?

I have little opinion on the rest of the cards, they don't seem too interesting. I mean, I guess Ghostway interesting but I've never wanted that kind of effect so i have no idea what to think about it.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Image.ashx

Ah the podfather

CML

Contributor
Mortify is boring but one of our guys wanted another way to kill enchantments. No reason to include Putrefy because BG has enough of those effects already and I don't have very many artifacts.

These are brainstorms 5 and 6, everything else is just the first copy

I'm definitely playing Mastery with the stuff that's going up for spoilers

I forgot, another one of the cards I cut was Yawg Will, it doesn't do shit

Is there anything my list is missing you guys would recommend shoving in?

CML

Contributor
i had a relapse. you're welcome

IN

OUT

curve basically the same
creature count down to 50.1%
as many new cards as possible
flame away!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
CML, any input as to why you made these changes? Your change lists are always massive, and I was wondering if you had any insight into your thought process.

CML

Contributor
IN
—themeless themes: I've elaborated on this idea earlier but it's basically that I want "themes" without having to "support" them. e.g. incidental synergies like reckoner + blas act, morph, collected company
—one-card build-arounds: a similar idea. plus tutors to find them: demonic pact, evolutionary leap, living death, pyromancer's goggles, tezzeret agent of bolas
—some more artifacts / enchantments that more than one person wants but some people will pass on: eldrazi conscription, evolutionary leap
—fewer creatures (my cube was a little too combat-based, an overcorrection against conventional cubes)
—new cards ... i.e. 5 battle lands

OUT
—narrow cards (boros charm, cruel ultimatum—one-card build arounds that aren't built around enough, or narrow gold cards one could do without)
—cycling out old new cards: heir of the wilds, herald of torment, frontier siege;
—cycling out obsolescent cards: student of warfare
—cycling out cards i put in just so my curve looked low: sunlance
—cycling out unnecessary duplicates (so now only one hallowed fountain, but two godless shrines, due to battle lands)

here are some nice decks

http://www.cubetutor.com/cubedeck/412254
http://www.cubetutor.com/cubedeck/412256
http://www.cubetutor.com/cubedeck/415427
http://www.cubetutor.com/cubedeck/415781

a penny for y'all's thoughts

Do you like Disdainful Stroke? i always feel like i want it to be negate instead

-the four-brainstorms UGb deck rules and having Whisperwood Elemental for beef/filtering is awesome
-doesn't timely reinforcements just shit on aggro? Is it worth it?
-how nice is Time Spiral to cast in the Ascendancy build? Out of it?
-Intuition is a great card and i bet it does real work
-I like Boros Charm, it's flexible in aggro and control and is redundancy for a double strike deck. Reckoner's great tho
-How was Disciple of the Ring for you? You added and then cut her
-What obsoleted Student of Warfare? I've always had my eye on the lil fella
-double Ribbon of Night? Really? If I'm wrong about this I want to know.
-iirc you were once kinda against Dragonmaster Outcast. is this reversed bearing just so much reprint bull?

CML

Contributor
dragmaster is probably a mistake
only one ribbons, typo
student of warfare was cut because ww kinda sucks
boros charm has never really done it for me
no clue about timely
main-cube negate and duress are both dope
i dunno about d stroke or horribly awry but i do love 2-mana counters

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
—fewer creatures (my cube was a little too combat-based, an overcorrection against conventional cubes)
I came to the same conclusion a little while ago, and am now down to ~45% creatures, from 49% before. As much as I love throwing animals into the red zone, I felt like there wasn't enough freedom for people who didn't want to do that, and were looking for more spell-based shenanigans. At 45% creatures and 40% spells, there's still a ton of emphasis on combat, but I'm hoping two or possibly even three decks per draft won't be primarily creature-based, rather than just one.

CML

Contributor
205/495=41.4% creatures if we're not counting lands. i meant the spells are roughly half creatures.

Are you going to update your cubetutor cube with your most recent changes? I've been drafting the cube on there - it's pretty awesome!

What's the thinking behind cutting Living Death?

CML

Contributor
I'm glad you like it!

With the funsies lands it's even better.

Living Death is kind of just a turd out there, can anyone confirm this?