CML's Cube (405, polychromatic)

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Countermagic is naturally good against expensive spells, so including a card that only hits those doesn't seem worth it. It's really awkward when your tempo deck wants to counter a Toxic Deluge or w/e but can't.

CML

Contributor
here's some trash from today. initial impressions:

--the white grey ogre young pyro on roids is insane
--smokestack is playable after all! awesome.
--myriad landscape is a luke walton all-star
--i reinstituted the ULD, great
--academy rector surprisingly good now, jeskai ascendancy was on the chopping block afer last draft but no longer
--some cuts below

CAM00309.jpg

CAM00311.jpg

If you're into GW little kid decks, Fleecemane Lion is your guy. Comes down early, has a ticking clock on it before it becomes a massive pain in the ass to deal with. Everything you could ever want in an above the curve 2 drop.

I don't have any experience with the Deathdealer, but my instincts say that Lotleth Troll does the same job and more. It does look like it'd get out of hand in the late game, but an undercosted resilient aggro beater isn't really what I'm looking for in a BG section.

My favorite GW creature for those decks is that ramping, land tutoring, landfall triggering 6/6 for 1GW dude, but fleecemance is pretty sweet.

I think I prefer Lotleth Troll too.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Fleecemane Lion is great, it's a solid beater that creates a fun dynamic around removal and is something you actively want to draw late game. Unlike a lot of 2-drops it's good in control as well.

If we're choosing BG 2-drops I vote for c. Putrid Leech or d. none of the above.

CML

Contributor
Lotleth Troll is certainly bad and no amount of keeping it in and yelling at drafters ever came close to convincing them otherwise.

Deathdealer is pretty good, it scares the shit out of me in Standard and is definitely a staple until FRF comes out. Now this is interesting because the BG Stax drafter (see 3-0 thread) the other day said he didn't even want it in his decks, which made me consider the power level of Standard vs. the power level of my Cube, or the power level of other Standards vs. the power level of other Cubes.

There's just no way Deathdealer is worse in Cube, right? More mana-intensive means better out of Constructed. Not sure if there's other variables to consider, color-intensive can't be much of an issue. I would like to bash a Cube deck against a Standard deck but beyond that eh. I will say the higher-powered Cubes on this forum make the strongest Cube decks from any Cube, and this Standard is the lowest-powered since I started playing. I dunno how far you'd have to go back to find a sweeter or lower-powered environment.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Lotleth Troll is certainly bad and no amount of keeping it in and yelling at drafters ever came close to convincing them otherwise.

Deathdealer is pretty good, it scares the shit out of me in Standard and is definitely a staple until FRF comes out. Now this is interesting because the BG Stax drafter (see 3-0 thread) the other day said he didn't even want it in his decks, which made me consider the power level of Standard vs. the power level of my Cube, or the power level of other Standards vs. the power level of other Cubes.

There's just no way Deathdealer is worse in Cube, right? More mana-intensive means better out of Constructed. Not sure if there's other variables to consider, color-intensive can't be much of an issue. I would like to bash a Cube deck against a Standard deck but beyond that eh. I will say the higher-powered Cubes on this forum make the strongest Cube decks from any Cube, and this Standard is the lowest-powered since I started playing. I dunno how far you'd have to go back to find a sweeter or lower-powered environment.

I don't even know if it's a question of power level, but the surrounding stuff. I find in cube your mana is more constrained and games don't tend to peter out as easily, so mana is less available, and you'd be totally willing to trade a few cards you might end up casting anyway (Crawler) for a pump you don't need to sink mana into every turn.
This lets you do more with the cards you do have left, and keep up his regen.

I always found him a bit akward since you want to sink a ton of mana into him but not too much because then they might kill him

CML

Contributor
now this is an interesting explanation, everyone does always have a huge amount of mana at their disposal to deathdeal in standard. that card is quite scary and adept at forcing the most awkward blocks in the world and/or abyssing the opponent, it's a good thing it's bad against Hornet Queen.

anecdotally this current standard format might be lower power than many cubes because people play Pearl Lake Ancient in it, though I guess people also played Elixir of Immortality in a higher-power format.

here's what i'm trying from FRF:

soulfire grand master
whisperwood elemental
yasova dragonclaw
ugin, the spirit dragon
monastery mentor
battle brawler
soulflayer
shamanic revelation
tasigur, the golden fang
alesha, who smiles at death
warden of the first tree
shaman of the great hunt
brutal hordechief
citadel siege
frontier siege
frost walker
wildcall
flamewake phoenix
mob rule
mardu woe-reaper
abzan beastmaster

mardu strike leader

Chris Taylor

Contributor
here's what i'm trying from FRF:

Those will eventually fill with proper images in 2ish weeks.

Green Siege? Really? Fight Mode seems awful, and ramp mode looks to be explosive vegetation but maybe better...maybe?
Also mob rule seems loose if it's what I think it is. BW1, deal x and gain x where x is the number of dudes you have? I hate to be direct comparison guy here, but do you really want that over something even as pedestrian as mortify?

CML

Contributor
that ramp mode looks awfully good to me; GG right away + GG twice a turn thereafter. i was influenced by the ari lax article and think everyone should at least try it. fight mode is of course terrible but pretty good with hornet queen! ... I guess.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
that ramp mode looks awfully good to me; GG right away + GG twice a turn thereafter. i was influenced by the ari lax article and think everyone should at least try it. fight mode is of course terrible but pretty good with hornet queen! ... I guess.

Did...Did you just talk me out of a card you just added? o_O

CML

Contributor
ok time for a big update. apologies if this makes no sense.

IN

OUT

notes:
--reinstituted the funsies land draft so i got to free some land slots up.
--shu yun is terrible and lame, i have no idea what you guys are smoking.
--stopped trying too hard with an artifact theme that had a lot of terrible cards.
--people asked for more counters and sweepers so i gave them counters and sweepers! someone should make a counter and sweeper thread.
--the gravecrawler stuff is back, hooray. outpost siege and so on give them a lot more toys to play with and that is great, but it makes me wonder if we couldn't use the slots for slightly more flexible spells.
--curve is more or less identical to earlier, while the creature count is slightly lower (down from a historic high of ~55% to ~50.8%).
--time spiral is super-sweet.
--looking for ideas to make blue more "substantive" while keeping in a critical mass of counters and dudes and card selection. also looking for ways to make red more interesting, so make red more like blue and blue more like red.