CML's Cube (405, polychromatic)

I ran Diabolic Servitude as the only reanimate spell in my cube for a while, and it had no problem taking over a game by itself, I find it really good.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
on the "shitty card" topic (a running joke): here's a list of cards i wanna try

-
brago
lore broker
aether searcher
grenzo
paliano
dack’s duplicate
coercive portal
agent of acquisitions
-
soul of ravnica
genesis hydra
mercurial pretender
reclamation sage
avarice amulet
military intelligence
ulcerate
mercurial pretender
goblin rabblemaster
-

please critique

Thats a lot of cards, so assume when I say "Bad" I mean "This is probably as bad as you think it is, but try anyway you crazy diamond"

temporal mastery bad
time warp bad
oath of druids bad and unfun. Oh you play creatures? Nice deck
rubblebelt maaka bad
slaughterhorn: bad, but not Maaka bad
madcap skills: good actually. This one is a bunch of damage
regrowth: Could be okay
sky hussar: Eh
keranos, god of storms: Probably a C- against so much B+
staff of domination: Horrible. How much mana does this take to be anything? 15th pick until it kills someone
diabolic servitude: Good and slow.
unquestioned authority: Eh. I dont see it being worth the mana
satyr wayfinder: assuming elvish visionary is good, he'll be okay. He's the kinda guy I'd run like 4-5 of to make a green dredge deck possible.
bonds of faith: I might just try this myself, so have at it.
-
brago: Venser activates the same turn and is easier, but he doesn;t block and can't activate multiple dudes. I think I like brago better, but venser was always too slow for me, so grain of salt
lore broker: love it, love the body against the many goblin pikers, love the mechanic, love it all
aether searcher: eh, this one is both high variance and dumb. I think people taking off color bombs because they picked this guy is bad deckbuilding.
grenzo: Sounds awesome, I'm trying him too
paliano: While this is sweet fixing, having to add sticky notes to your cube is a real cost. I don't think I care, and if it ends up being annoying and you want this another mana confluence will likely be loved by your drafters
dack’s duplicate: Haste Clone is sweet! Also randomly being bigger than their dudes might be relavant to. Try him, I think he could be sweet :D
coercive portal: I might be trying it too. This one is were I feel the vote wording is the most annoying, since bottled cloister wasn't that great in the first place
agent of acquisitions: Eh, I don;t see using his ability that often, but piker is not bad.
-
soul of ravnica: 6/6 reach woo! I don't have high hopes
genesis hydra: Maybe I'm underestimting this, but it always seems like it will be a bit smaller than it should be. I wish it could grab lands
mercurial pretender: But like, Sakashima the Impostor doe...
reclamation sage: Sounds good.
avarice amulet: LOL! That is a lot of mana and some real big downside. Real big. Not a fan
military intelligence: Does blue do the attacking thing? Also, is this better than Bident of thassa? (Either for curve or design concerns)
ulcerate: I don't think this will play like the color-agnostic vendetta you want it to be. And when it's bad it will be REAL bad.
mercurial pretender: But like, Sakashima the Impostor doe...
goblin rabblemaster: Love this guy! Pressure, immediate value, but can be dealt with relatively easily. Good red 3!

Dom Harvey

Contributor
on the "shitty card" topic (a running joke): here's a list of cards i wanna try

-
brago
lore broker
aether searcher
grenzo
paliano
dack’s duplicate
coercive portal
agent of acquisitions
-
soul of ravnica
genesis hydra
mercurial pretender
reclamation sage
avarice amulet
military intelligence
ulcerate
mercurial pretender
goblin rabblemaster
-

please critique

I like Time Warps of all shapes and sizes
Oath is very hard to set up
bloodrush is cool
Madcap Skills is definitely worth a shot
Regrowth is never as good as it ought to be
You have to have gone deep in the paint for Sky Hussar to work
ugh, Keranos
Staff is awful
Servitude is fine but sooo clunky
gtfo with Authority
Wayfinder is fine if you give GY heavy support and a worse Visionary if you don't
sure, Bonds of Faith

Brago is AIDS
almost all the draft-meddler cards are worth a try
Grenzo could be really good
yes to Dack's Duplicate
meh to Coercive Portal, it's solid in non-blue control decks I suppose?

I like the Soul Cycle as an idea, not so much Soul of Ravnica
Hydra is too expensive
there are 6+ Clones I would play before Pretender
Reclamation Sage is a slam-dunk auto-include
obv not Amulet
Military Intelligence seems... ok?
Ulcerate is bad
you listed Pretender twice
Rabblemaster is sweet

I had a lot of success with Keranos to date, so I wouldn't write him off just yet. Gave extra fuel to a counter/burn deck that went 3-0. Can't remember the list though.

CML

Contributor
yeah fuck it i'm trying him

why not, you know

u/r kinda sucks in my cube could use the extra little push

CML

Contributor
Cube today was hilarious and fun in spite of my idiotic card choices. I'm going to try toning down the Gravecrawler stuff a little since "the Gravecrawler deck" looks a little too similar from week to week, and, if that doesn't work, I'll look for some more cross synergies beyond B/R devotion and sacrifice. Maybe Dredge or something.

Hour of Need, Dakra Mystic, Harness by Force were about as bad as one would expect them to be

I'm not going to the trouble of updating CubeTutor until spoiler seasons are over, anyone else feel little compulsion to do that all the time

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm trying hour of need over here, and I expect it to almost barely be a blue card. It's the kind of thing I would test for more than one draft though, so I wouldn't cut it yet.

How can harness by force be bad? Is threaten bad in your enviornment CML? I've seen it strived once and it obliterated someone, and the rest of the time the difference between it and threaten wasn't huge. Seems like a win to me

I kinda wanna add some token cards back in just to make other people want the sac outlets. Blasting Station makes most army in a can guys REAL good

CML

Contributor
Hour is just one of those cards you want to work but then it goes 15th four times in a row and you try to put it in your deck and yeaaaaaaah. My playgroup is super into newish cards too

Yeah threaten is pretty bad here. The sac theme could use some cards that are strong on their own and fulfill multiple purposes, something like Helm of Possession or Zealous Conscripts is perfect

If you're looking for a 3-mana red dude that there's no excuse for not running:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Hour is just one of those cards you want to work but then it goes 15th four times in a row and you try to put it in your deck and yeaaaaaaah. My playgroup is super into newish cards too

Yeah threaten is pretty bad here. The sac theme could use some cards that are strong on their own and fulfill multiple purposes, something like Helm of Possession or Zealous Conscripts is perfect

If you're looking for a 3-mana red dude that there's no excuse for not running:

I tried him and dont really like him. I don't have kiki to copy him, he doesn't find anything super insane, the 1/1 body is just so lame, etc etc etc

Threaten has been fine on it's own for me, that card is a lot of damage given that it takes out a blocker and adds a body. Mark of Mutiny was better, but harness has been striven so I like em both

Helm of posession seems odd to me. It doesn't really fit in the crawler deck since you can only really sac one guy to it. Less goblin bombardment, more reckless abandon, you know?

CML

Contributor
no its like vedalken shackles but fun. you gotta try it. and try recruiter again he found huntmaster and siege-gang too.

signature cml cube cards i don't often see in other cubes and want to:

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Galepowder Mage was cute in here when we ran it, but was ultimately too slow. I feel like for blink shenanigans the following trifecta is usually enough

Curse of Predation is underrated, and I'm not sure why. The card plainly reads well and plays well! For as much as we moan about there not being good anthems in white, we secretly have an excellent anthem in green staring us right in the face.

CML

Contributor
Galepowder Mage was cute in here when we ran it, but was ultimately too slow. I feel like for blink shenanigans the following trifecta is usually enough

Curse of Predation is underrated, and I'm not sure why. The card plainly reads well and plays well! For as much as we moan about there not being good anthems in white, we secretly have an excellent anthem in green staring us right in the face.

you didn't give him his due! yeah he's slow but more fun to draft around than Resto Angel, with higher upside, and (best of all) he's a far lower pick than resto. "if you untap with it" isn't THAT high of a hurdle for a 4-drop

Chris Taylor

Contributor
no its like vedalken shackles but fun. you gotta try it. and try recruiter again he found huntmaster and siege-gang too.

signature cml cube cards i don't often see in other cubes and want to:

Helm I've tried and it was still too good (damn I hate shackles)
Recruiter see above
Prison Term maybe, usually I just add more ORings. Could be a thing, Iunno
Love Galepowder
Corpse Dance is super super slow (and bad without a sac outlet)
War Marshel is okay. super cute arc lightning with bombardment in play :p
Edge of Autumn might be okay for you non-custom plebians :p (I've got G1 Preordain VIA coiling oracle instead)
HOW DO PEOPLE NOT RUN CURSE?
Life Death is okay. I don't really need reanimate, so I don't think I want it either. Also life is real hard to play around.
Sygg could be cool. He's probably what come at me bro sulfuric vampire 4/4 guy from ravnica wants to be

CML

Contributor
Big update:

IN

deal broker
aether searcher
agent of acquisitions
grenzo
paliano
dack’s duplicate
reclamation sage
military intelligence
ulcerate
goblin rabblemaster
soul of ravnica
lore seeker
canal dredger
perimeter captain

custodi soulbinders

OUT

nothing cuz i'm lazy

CML

Contributor
prism, but the other ones serve more essential functions. there isn't much difference between mana rock x and mana rock y. i could see myself running 2 talismans or something like that.