CML's Cube (405, polychromatic)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The pro-white doesn't matter as much as you think. The game is usually ending by the time he comes down anyway, so all it really does is stick it to Baneslayer and Lingering Souls. Much like Thundermaw does anyway.

I uh... does Thundermaw really stick it to Baneslayer?

More specifically, does Thundermaw tap Baneslayer even if the damage doesn't happen?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The pro-white doesn't matter as much as you think. The game is usually ending by the time he comes down anyway, so all it really does is stick it to Baneslayer and Lingering Souls. Much like Thundermaw does anyway.

And like, swords to plowshares/Journey to nowhere/Oblivion ring etc etc etc
You know, all the answers for a whole color :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah, but, I don't really mind this dude not being targettable either.

Yes, because you can block him :p

Protection basically makes the creature invisible stalker some of the time, and vanilla the rest of the time. I figure half of the untargetable/unblockable duo is fine, but not both.

I will say an alternative seems lacking. Maybe this guy?
He might not be good enough :(

Just looked it up to make sure. Even if the damage is prevented, Thundermaw still taps all fliers.

I find that I'm out of removal or only have a wrath/Mortars as an answer to a 4/4 at that point of the game.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
5-drops are allowed to be good in my book. And it's not like anybody is playing monocolor decks anyways. I think it's a far cry from something like Mirran Crusader, a 3-drop with protection from two colors.

Flameblast Dragon looks like hot garbage. Except when it's not.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, protection on a big finisher is a lot more tolerable than protection on a two or three drop. Especially when the big lug's already got evasion. Presumably you're not holding him back to block Knight of Meadowgrain or anything, and dodging one colour's worth of removal is still less stifling than shroud or hexproof.

CML

Contributor
Yeah, I don't care too much about the Stormbreath protection clause. Guess I could give him a go. So many red 5's though (embarrasingly the same as the CubeTutor 720 average)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah, I don't care too much about the Stormbreath protection clause. Guess I could give him a go. So many red 5's though (embarrasingly the same as the CubeTutor 720 average)

hey man, when that cube agrees with you, sometimes it's just because those cards are awesome

CML

Contributor
General attitude towards Thundermaw was negative until I stuck it in the Cube, at which point it was generally agreed to be awesome. You need some creatures that just attack and block.

Yeah, it taps the BSA

I know this'll sound a little arbitrary (and, shit, it is), but I like 5's more than I like 4's

CML

Contributor
OK i did a big update or 12. my cube, like me, is now a little oversized. not by magic standards, in either case, but still!

anyone else just give up and make their cube a handful of cards bigger after a new set comes out? i'm completely unmotivated to dig through the box and find the cards i dislike so i just do it when i'm putting the cube away after we're done

Magister of Worth is really good and Catastrophe is a delight, I think I might have too many Wraths though with Day and Wrath and Hallowed Burial and Terminus and Magister and Catastrophe. I think Wrath itself has gotta be the cut

Comments please

I'm mostly bummed that they made the Magister an angel so I can't Resto it. Other than that I think it seems pretty decent.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
OK i did a big update or 12. my cube, like me, is now a little oversized. not by magic standards, in either case, but still!

anyone else just give up and make their cube a handful of cards bigger after a new set comes out? i'm completely unmotivated to dig through the box and find the cards i dislike so i just do it when i'm putting the cube away after we're done

Magister of Worth is really good and Catastrophe is a delight, I think I might have too many Wraths though with Day and Wrath and Hallowed Burial and Terminus and Magister and Catastrophe. I think Wrath itself has gotta be the cut

Comments please

Well how do you feel about every wrath costing 5? Thats a big deal

Maybe I'm weird, but I find it WAY easier finding cards to cut than cards to add. I've always got this huge contingent of cards which are just shakily holding on in my cube :p

CML

Contributor
yo homies help me come up with a solid 450 for sunday.

[reserved the rest]

xpost: funsies lands

funsies lands:

MONO

GUILD

FIX

ISD

POST (1 pick / 3 cards)

COLORLESS

CML

Contributor
Does that make it good though?

threw it in to fight my more-busted-than-wadds graveyard theme. it's pretty good (though i have a history of drawing it in my kotr decks in constructed, which is 50% more likely in cube).

I could see cutting it from the funsies draft if people ran it and it were just worse than a basic, but I'm pretty sure it's good enough!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Fair enough. I'm always super worried about complexity creep, since just taking your first look at the utility draft is daunting enough, so I'd try and keep it as small as possible (You know, if I ran it :p)

The actual cost of throwing it in their even if it is bad probably only matters to me, since IIRC you have a halfway consistent/halfway competent cube group