Sets Conspiracy 2 Spoilers Thread

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Its better in cube to think of it as a red aggro deck with a tutor for 3cc utility pieces that can be used to interact with the board or combo finish the game.

Fwiw I don't like matron, because recruitor is just better in that slot for cube purposes: flexible and drafts elegantly. Matron is runnable though.

keeperofkeys.jpg
leovoldemissaryoftrest.jpg
darettiingeniousiconoclast.jpg

New Daretti seems potentially way too strong. If you play him out on curve, he could easily be a Putrefy every other turn in RB control... and if you played some artifact earlier like Chromatic Star, that makes it even harder to deal with. Dunno....

New Daretti seems potentially way too strong. If you play him out on curve, he could easily be a Putrefy every other turn in RB control... and if you played some artifact earlier like Chromatic Star, that makes it even harder to deal with. Dunno....

Here I am wondering whether New Daretti is strong enough to warrant a spot. :p I'm probably playing it though. Rakdos control needs some love and this is way less oppressive than Voldaren.

It's worth noting that he starts with very little loyalty, and his plus is a +1. If your opponent already has an aggressive board-state, he'll die fast- unlike, say... Ashiok or Nahiri.

I'm going to try him out in my cube, especially since I'm trying to push a URb artifact theme. He seems on target, and like Tzenmoroth said, he's less abusive than the top-tier Rakdos shenanigans.

It's worth noting that he starts with very little loyalty, and his plus is a +1. If your opponent already has an aggressive board-state, he'll die fast- unlike, say... Ashiok or Nahiri.

I'm going to try him out in my cube, especially since I'm trying to push a URb artifact theme. He seems on target, and like Tzenmoroth said, he's less abusive than the top-tier Rakdos shenanigans.
Three loyalty is the standard starting amount, and this is on a 3 mana walker that defends itself with its plus. And in any case, if your opponent is already ahead on board, very few walkers are very good.

For any fairer cube, the more oppressive RB options are already usually out, and he's right up there with them. Get even or ahead on board and he's a removal engine that virtually impossible to get out from under. In RB control with wraths and so on, that doesn't seem like a very tall order.

Also important is that his plus and minus are the same. Usually a removal ability costs more minus than the plus gives plus. Card Is Very strong.

Keepers seems like a stupid strong card. A cantripping 4/4 that threatens to let the entire board through next turn? Very high ceiling.
I think it's barely playable. You have to wait a turn to maybe get your dudes unstoppable and in blue ? meh. Thassa, God of the Sea seems better for that purpose. Cantripping for 5 mana in blue? Mulldrifter laughs at this guy.

Oh, and don't forget it's not cantripping, you might also give monarch to the opponent... downside.

EDIT: i admit it can be a fun card in a low powered cube, but in my cube it's wildly unplayable i think.

holy shit this is powerful. Curving Chalice on one into this on two should lock out a lot of Legacy decks. Thank god it has WW.

As an guy who primarily plays Legacy for his competitive yuks (BUG Delver/Shardless + more recently R/W Goblins), This card is obscene. Remember; aether vial.

Before, Delver still had like a 30-40% matchup against DnT, with proper SB hate. Now... Well. I wouldn't want to be the Delver player. Now is a good time to be playing Merfolk/Eldrazi.

@Sigh: Good point. I hadn't looked at it that way. I think he's good enough to be a solid pick in my cube... which makes him extremely strong in an average cube. I'll still snap him up due to my artifact leanings.

At least he can't combo with his former self, eh? What a pair that would make...

holy shit this is powerful. Curving Chalice on one into this on two should lock out a lot of Legacy decks. Thank god it has WW.
My D&T just got a couple beautiful new friends :). This and the Recruiter are great for that deck.

I love the design of Arcane Savant but I can't run it because it's too good.

What about a "fixed" version?

Arcane Prodigy
3UU
3/3
When ~ ETB, you may search you library for an instant or sorcery card. If you do, exile it and play it without paying it's mana cost. You lose life equal to the spell's CMC.

Wizards... print that please.

I love the design of Arcane Savant but I can't run it because it's too good.

What about a "fixed" version?

Arcane Prodigy
3UU
3/3
When ~ ETB, you may search you library for an instant or sorcery card. If you do, exile it and play it without paying it's mana cost. You lose life equal to the spell's CMC.

Wizards... print that please.

That would need to be 3UB with the lifeloss ability. Not sure I like the lifeloss, tbh. The whole point of the card is to cast something uncastable. Losing 7-9 life to do it just isn't gonna happen a lot of the time, which just turns this into an overcosted tutor that exiles... which is fine, I guess, but it fulfills a different role than the OG card.

That is sort of the point though. Otherwise, you just slap a 6+ mana sorcery on a body that at most is paying 3 for the effect (less really since this also tutors). It's simply too good still. Has to be a very large drawback to slamming something ridiculous.

EDIT: Good point on the B comment though. Maybe this is a black card since it's tutoring? So 3BB instead of 3UU. Gold is fine, but greatly limits the decks it goes in.

Goad means "Until your next turn, that creature attacks each combat if able and attacks a player other than you if able." (the second half being irrelevant in a 2 player game).

I think Grenzo is pretty cool, and the RR cost isn't bad on a creature that you're happy to play after you've established a board.

volatilechimera.jpg

A fascinating card.

I think lower-powered cubes will balk at the idea of someone just grabbing off-color fatties, but this looks like it could be very good for higher-powered cubes as a way of stretching oppressive fatty decks a bit. I will certainly try it in my cube.

Also, you know. It's cool AF.