General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Miasmir, is Saber Ants any good? Like I see the pyroclaysm in there, but I'm not so sure on my 4 mana 2/3s
Okay so Saber Ants is in my cube for its versatility and the sheer number of decks that it's okay in. Also it's a bit of a pet card as I've been playing with it for years. Compare to Symbiotic Elf and it's better with and against damage-based sweepers (see also the Crater Hellion in my deck; my cube has Slice and Dice, Wildfire, and so forth) and better against burn spells, but worse against Terror.

So green/white tokens/anthems can play it profitably, green/red wildfire loves it, and green/black and green/blue are both (usually) slower controlling decks that really like having a value blocker against aggro. It mostly works because so much aggro in my cube is 2/1, 2/2, and 3/1 and those all match up poorly against the ants. So if the aggro curve was 2/1 into 3/1 into 4/4 (which is substantially above average) they still kind of don't want to attack into the ants with the 4/4 because that will give you blockers for both small creatures and two extra turns to chump the 4/4. They actually have to have a removal spell and burn doesn't work.

Plus, it can attack for 2, unlike the other defensive green cards that come to mind. The cantrip ones are probably still better, but in something with as few bestow targets for Chromanticore as my list above, turning sideways is a real consideration.

On the other hand, if what aggro is typically doing on turn 4 in your cube is Hellrider or Hero of Bladehold or play and equip Umezawa's Jitte or even Desecration Demon then the ants are probably not going to be playable without some crazy synergies.

CML

Contributor
Image.ashx

Maybe Flanking sans reminder text shouldn't be printed at common.

that card is fucking good. i imagine it's not cubeworthy, but those suspend guys were so good in that format that i think they're worth a little consideration.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
How's shipwreck siren? Baleful strix is a reasonable card and all, but sort of unpleasantly agnostic, I was thinking of trying her.

i was already winning every game i drew her in so idk. it seems quite strong in peasant but im not actually sure

Chris Taylor

Contributor
This weeks winner:
Twos (7)
Arc Trail
Doom Blade
Talisman of Dominance
Soul Reap
Miscalculation
Mana Leak
Baleful Strix

Threes (3)
Blightning
Shadowmage Infiltrator
Rolling Earthquake

Fours (5)
Chandra, Pyromaster
Ral Zarek
Damnnation
Murderous Redcap

Fives (3)
Shriekmaw
Puppeteer Clique
Muldrifter

Six and Above (4)
Cruel Ultimatum
Karn Liberated
Consecrated Sphinx
Frost Titan

Lands (8)
Misty Rainforest
Blood Crypt
Badlands
Bloodstained Mire
Watery Grave
Flooded Strand
Shelldock Isle
Brass Cave #Pay 1 life terramorphic expanse, enters untapped

Another Sweet one:
Ones (9)
Brainstorm
Rancor
dryad militant
cloudfin raptor
goblin guide
grim lavamancer
experiment one
stromkirk noble

Twos (8)
riddlesmith #but any spell
incinerate
lotus cobra
Sigiled Skink #but can't be blocked by 1 guy, and loots instead of scry
Field Researcher #U1 2/1 Draw a card
strangleroot geist
gore-house chainwalker
Ghor Clan Rampager #Might be too good

Threes and Above (8)
awakening zone #brought in, went down to 15 lands
flames of the firebrand
courser of kruphix
Edric, spymaster of trest
Prophetic Flamespeaker
Trygon Predator
Domri Rade
Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Lands (7)
Steam Vents
Stomping Grounds
Tropical Island
Breeding Pool
Arid Mesa
Wooded Foothills

This deck had play of the night:
Play of the night:

His Board: Experiment one (one counter), Cloudfin Raptor (one counter), Strangleroot Geist and another 2/1
My Board: fresh Elspeth, Knight Errant and her token
Play Domri Rade, fight strangleroot and my token. Undying Triggers, Double Evolve, swing for 10

honk honk spells

Charmbreaker Devils costs 6 but it was doing something weird and putting it halfway down instead of at the top of the column so I just moved it.

Awkward lifegain stall game ended when devils punched in for 20something on top of burn spells + multiple mystic speculations.

CML

Contributor
I like Charmbreaker Devils and think it's only a little too bad for most Cubes on here. Obviously it's perfect in this deck

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Six-man today, so we ran teams, and no actual 3-0 emerged. But this deck felt like the closest to a winner!

Delver Deck Wins

alright I'm gonna type up some of the other 2-1 decks until I get sick of typing

Monogreen Animals

How did you win a single game with this why are you on my team

Dom Harvey

Contributor
A lot; most of my games were won via Strip Mine recursion (including one game that went T1 land Diamond Explore -> Strip Mine, T2 Loam)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member

Value Country

It's a Ninja!

The latter deck was drafted by a guy who hasn't played Magic ten times yet, and up to this point was mostly drafting monocolour durdle decks. To say that he took us by surprise by coming out of nowhere with this tempo showcase tonight would be an understatement. I'm not even sure he realizes what he's done!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, I just recently doubled up on it, in an attempt to make blue aggro/tempo a Thing.

Some small but sweet lines I realized while picking up my friend's deck after he left:
- Phantasmal Bear can be a ninja
- Phantasmal Bear can totally be best buddies with a Tandem Lookout

Where Delver failed, Bear is picking up the slack. He might as well be Isamaru.

Omg eric those decks look hilarious. Did witness do well in that one? It looks more like a permanents deck than a spells deck but I guess creatures die sometimes.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Heh. As I was drafting the deck, I thought, "This is the kind of thing Lucas might dig." You're right that Eternal Witness was not at its best in this permanent-heavy deck, but all of the other value creatures more than pulled their weight. Especially Restoration Angel, eating attackers while blinking just about anything.

Yeah I've been wanting to play bant for ages. That's the kind of green deck I like. Did you have a hard time with weird draws?