[Design/Discussion] The Spiral

I'm kind of looking for a more gentle living death varient: something spicy and explosive. I suppose its possible that might be a fools errand.

Thd b/w deck is kind of hard to design, because I need an aggro deck that dosen't involve red. I also kind of want to shift some of the focus away from the bug colors, and living death tends to be a ub or bug card.

But dude I mean like you can still have your BW combo decks if you want to? It'll probably just be a slightly different line. How did the standard deck operate? Wasn't that a combo kill as well? (Btw, extra spicy that you can have bodyguard in the yard so it´s actually a two card combo)

edit: wake the dead DOES pop them at the end step so you're right in that you get to surprise hit someone for a ton of damage if you cast wake the dead EOT.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Sadly, you can't cast wake eot :/

The problem with rally (at least if we are following the std. Deck) is that much of its power came from being an etb abuse tool. This format is trying to avoid spell effects on its creatures, and Probably dosen't have the density for rally to justify itself.

It would have to be a pure combo tool, which I don't think a low cc aggro deck can execute consistently

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
To clarify the issue.

When you aren't running fetch//shocks, and decks have to have strong guild identities, B/W can be a challenging guild to design for, if you're running cheap aggressive creatures in both black and white. Eventually, some player will first pick a champion of the parish, and combo that with a cheap aggro creature in black. The problem is that while B/R or W/R has access to great tools to build a reach puzzle around, white black is not great at that, as white usually has no direct damage effects, and black just has (practically) blood artist triggers for cheap reach.

With fetch // shock, you never have to address this, because you just go into a mardu deck and are done. Since I am not running fetch//shock, even if I support a B/W control deck, I still have this problem that the small creatures that provide the foundation for the W/R and B/R decks, will inevitably combine into a B/W aggro deck, which thus must be represented in the format. Even worse, the fact that so many higher power "sticky" black aggro threats can't block, it means that once you start going down that road, you can't really pivot into a midrange deck (this is why the penny cube doesn't have this problem).

I like the focus on disruptive effects, as its rather akin to how mono black aggro (or stax aggro for that matter) traditionally worked. Sort of like a B/W death and taxes deck, to use a more modern analogy. The idea behind the rally/wake approach, was to provide the deck with a reanimation based reach strategy. I'm also still not sure about smallpox, because it kills one of this deck's own creatures, which seems terrible if you draw the white creature portion of your deck.

In other news, I think I solved my UR issue. That was interesting, because running double wildfire without mana rocks, really narrows wildfire down into a R/G card. The UR decks are big mana control decks, and its an incoherent gameplan to run a sweeper (which you need) that delays your overwhelming late game, by delaying your mana development.

My solution was to add a small section of mana rocks:

The boarder posts are brilliant, and should be kept on my radar as a way to incorporate an on-point system of mana rocks and a corresponding artifact theme. I opted not to do that here (though that might change after this new set) as I have no UR post, and the only way I can create artifact density in the main colors is to run splicers, which goes against me toning down the ETB power level.

Though this is a really cool idea.

So there should be just enough tools for UR wildfire to be a thing, and than I gave blue and red a couple beefy 4-5CC (non ETB) flyers that they can protect for a sort of midrangy tempo game. Red offers two phoenix cards (shard phoenix!) and Detritivore, so we're looking at a bigger mana deck, capable of asserting pressure down the line, while breaking symmetry on resource pressure.

Also added