General Fighting Disappointment: Lets fix some cards that were almost sweet

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Lets also look at Toshiro Umezawa!

Sonic Seizure is also a card that has made me sad lately.

103.jpg

Way nicer. Though I admit it'd be even more awesome with nonrandom discard.
You think magic is ready for this spell to deal 5? I've always love shrapnel blast, despite the effect it has on games

Umezawa is awkward because his effect, while strong has more conditions than it seems (need the mana to do cause a death+cast+something in yard+two targets optimally). He's also a grey ogre, which is never where I want to be.

Sonic burst is a card I'd actually want to see if I were enabling hellbent/flashback themes? Kind of awkward since I was just panning Rakdos in my friends dual-block rav cube this week. I think it is fine at 4 though, a 2 mana lava-axe is probably degenerate, especially at instant speed.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member

I really, really want to love this guy, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't cut the mustard in my environment. What would a playable but not broken version look like?

I think it's almost there pal. It's really one of those "If I untap with it watch out!" sorta cards. Those cards used to feel pretty okay on 4-5 cc creatures but I'm not sure about it now.

Bringing it down to 4R would be a real start. That would be a really fun cube card though, think of the unique memories and boardstates

3/5 for 4R and scale down the bonus to +3/+0?

Trample also makes a big difference on cards like this.

Admittedly I don't have as much cubing experience as I'd like, but it strikes me that (to me) the recursion is the most interesting part of the card. I have to assume when I play him, he's dead though. My instinct is to be in the market for a 3/4 (doesn't die to bolt) for 3R, or even more color-hungry at 2RR, with some change to the bonus.

The 'instants-matter' Izzet flavor is pretty cool, I suppose the alternative would be to make him cheaper/lower toughness/haste, with a benefit of first strike or something. More like a ball-lightning design.

Better Versions of Goblin Cohort

Mogg Cohort - R
Cannot attack or block alone.
2/2

Gruul Cohort - R/G
Soulbond
As long as Gruul Cohort is paired with another creature, each of those creatures gets +1/+1.
1/1

Okay, how about Sarkhan the Mad? I really like his [0], and the idea of having a no + ability planeswalker. What would people do to make him more fun?

5 mana draw engines seem weak to me. Especially if they can be attacked to death. Is he too good at 4cc?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
5 mana draw engines seem weak to me. Especially if they can be attacked to death. Is he too good at 4cc?

His backup mode is a draw engine (Compare dark tutelage). Very little else has you sacrificing (Not exiling!) creatures to make 5/5 flyings.

He would probably be too good at 4cc if he still made 5/5s. Maybe if the token were smaller, but for now I think he's okay.

also bonus points if you ever use his "ultimate"

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
[6:37:58 PM] Jason Waddell: Bushido would be so much cooler if it left behind +1/+1 counters
[6:38:15 PM] Jason Waddell: what doesn't kill me makes me stronger and all that
[6:38:38 PM] Jason Waddell: you'd be letting things swing through until you could mount an appropriate defense

[6:37:58 PM] Jason Waddell: Bushido would be so much cooler if it left behind +1/+1 counters
[6:38:15 PM] Jason Waddell: what doesn't kill me makes me stronger and all that
[6:38:38 PM] Jason Waddell: you'd be letting things swing through until you could mount an appropriate defense

Yes! But remove the block part and make it when blocked only, or you get stupid growing walls.