FlowerSunRain's Cube

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Chris: Curse of Predation and Delver seem pretty bad, I'd wanted a better one drop and another piece of removal/disruption. I guess soldier of the pantheon and maybe Faith's Fetters? I'd really want force spike, spell pierce or daze in that. I'm considering doubling up on spike.

Eric: I don't have any other human/revel swaps as of now. I was thinking about the one drop revel. Amrou scout is key, because the one drop can't search for it, so there wouldn't be any chaining.

I was treating the delver as prowess flying men (My cube does the same thing) since he's apparently coming in next update. Maybe that's still wrong?
Maybe I'm overestimating curse. It preforms insanely well in my cube. then again, I don't know how easy it is to splash. Faith's Fetters does sound like a more solid play though

I agree, this is awesome. I think I'm going to break my no-custom-cards rule with this one.

Do you have any other rebel/human swaps in your cube?

There are surprisingly few cards that care about rebels
Maybe Ramosian Sergeant?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Lol, that's probably going to be the swap and you are right that is a good choice. One thing I've learned, though, about my cube is that even though I made it and do well when I play it, I don't even understand half of its depth, so you may well be right that a YOLO curse of predation is the right choice. People find all kinds of synergies I never thought of and beat face with them, which is a big part of why I love this pile.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Lol, that's probably going to be the swap and you are right that is a good choice. One thing I've learned, though, about my cube is that even though I made it and do well when I play it, I don't even understand half of its depth, so you may well be right that a YOLO curse of predation is the right choice. People find all kinds of synergies I never thought of and beat face with them, which is a big part of why I love this pile.

Curse was in because it gets close to unbeatable sometimes in my cube, I have no idea weather it's right for the above deck :p

I would agree with Chris that curse if very good in the right deck. I ended up cutting it because we play too much multiplayer (and not always "attack left"), and that card is just asking for people to team up on one person due to how it works mechanically. So it (and it's zombie sibling) got cut.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Is fetter's too slow for your format?

I really like the card, and the 4 life helps make up for the tempo loss, but tapping out turn 4 to try to play a piece of spot removal on something that probably cost less seems a bit awkward.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Fetters too slow? Its certainly awkward, but that seems fair for a card that handles basically any threat. I've never really thought about its place in context, though, as it checked enough boxes for me (enchantment, lifegain, sorcery speed) that I sort of assumed it was awesome without really thinking about it.

Wandering champion? I'm not running any of the 3/1 white dudes at this point, I'm not sure this one is any more exciting then the others. Even though its a white looter, red and blue already have the looting cards so its not really opening any doors.

Vaultbreaker? I put a copy in my preorder, it seems like something I'd want to play, but its in one of those casting cost spots where you have to really think hard. I mean, hound of griselbrand (doublestrike + undying) had situational synergy and it couldn't hack it. I'm guessing it'll be on the outside looking in, but I've been wrong about these things before. Its tough to play your madness card off of a dash, though.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think I prefer daring skyjek to wandering champion, as Eric has expressed, he has the possibility of surviving an attack.
Vaultbreaker looks interesting, but I think he does a lot of things badly rather than one thing well: He's this akward mix of burn spell, creature and looter, but he does all 3 poorly. Viashino Sandstalker was really akward for me, I doubt he'll be any better

I didn't include fetters in that deck because I figured a 4 mana sorcery speed removal spell wasn't where I wanted to be for UW tempo. It's entirely possible I was wrong, but It's not usually the card I include in my aggro decks if I can help it. Fine card though

I probably should have given more context to the question but knowing FSR runs madness was curious how he felt about those cards. Not particularly suggestions, just more curiosity re how he felt about them. I don't think wandering champion is going anywhere but I think vaultbreaker might have some legs. Need to see it in action a bit.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I'm working on my FRF update and am considering pushing ahead a mini goblin theme. Will it work? No idea, but here's what we've got to work with:

Rules: Any card that says the word goblin on it anywhere is a goblin. This makes the tutors much better.
Custom Cards: Fire Ambush is now Goblin Fire Ambush. I drew a goblin on it, so it counts. I might make a custom 1 mana goblin, not a lot of options there.

Cards

Incentives that aren't too poisony:
Goblin Rabblemaster, Warren Instigator (cost is restrictive, but doublestrike is great in this cube), Goblin Recruiter, Goblin Matron, Sparksmith

Incentives that are kinda poisony:
Goblin Piledriver (needs a keyword swap of some kind), Skirk Prospector, Goblin Grenade, Krenko, Mob Boss, Goblin Chieftain, Gempalm Incinerator

Useful cards that make/say goblin:
Mogg War Marshall, Hoardeling Outburst, Tarfire, Goblin Bombardment, Blast from the Past, Dragon Fodder (though a second Mogg War Marshall is probably superior), Marsh Flitter

Useful Goblins
Mogg Fanatic, Goblin Guide, Goblin Settler, Goblin Heelcutter, Goblin Welder, Goblin Sharpshooter, Guttersnipe, Squee, Tuktuk, Siege-Gang Commander, Boggart Ram-Gang, Murderous Redcap, Tattermunge Maniac, Goblin Bushwhacker, Mogg Maniac, Pyrewild Shaman, Grenzo, Dungeon Warden, Mardu Scout, Auntie's Snitch

Useful Utility Draft cards that say goblin:
Auntie's Hovel, Goblin Burrows

Anything useful that should be in my pile of potenials?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Goblin Chirugeon was, like, my dad's favorite card. Can't believe I forgot it. It seems outclassed, though. It could afford to be a 1/2. Benevolent Bodyguard sees play in my cube and this is similar. Great upside with cards like hoardling outburst.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Pretty sure I'm going ahead with the goblins, just need to pick up a couple more cards and move a few more around. Chirugeon is proving way better then I ever imagined, "Goblin Fire Ambush" may not even be neccessary, a buffed Knucklebone Witch is probably a neccessary evil, and why the fuck is Rise of the Hobgoblins $5?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I love the idea of more tribal spells though.
Can we get a goblin full report at some point? This looks like exciting ground, and I'm not just saying that because I may steal most of these ideas :p

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
This is what I'm working with now:

In
Return to the Ranks
Marsh Flitter
Stroke of Genius
Mogg Matron
Goblin Chirugeon (1/2?)
Goblin Recruiter
Goblin Grenade
Warren Instigator
Goblin Rabblemaster
Goblin Settler
Sparksmith
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
Knucklebone Witch (from anywhere)
Flamewake Phoenix
Out
Phenax, God of Deception
Sewer Nemesis
Mirari’s Wake
Bloodhall Ooze
Lotus Cobra
Fire Slinger
Pillar of Flame
Avalanche Rider
Wrecking Ogre
Arena Athlete
Night Whispers
Fume Spitter
Commune with the Gods
Chandra’s Phoenix
Other
Any card with goblin in the name or text box is a goblin. "Blast from the Past" needlessly buffed by this change, might need to rethink.
Mogg War Marshall changed to squad pick
Consideration List
Krenko, Mob Boss (Runaway swingy support?)
Hoardling Outburst (need room)
Goblin Assault (just a bad rabblemaster?)
Mardu Ascendancy (That casting cost. . .)
Goblin Offensive (@rx?)
"Goblin" Fire Ambush or Tarfire
Rise of the Hobgoblins ($5 wtf?)
Random 2/1 goblin for 1 (Digging Team ftw!)
Goblin Chieftain
Hammerhand
Proclamation of Rebirth
Mad Auntie
Fodder Launcher

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I inserted the goblin and managed to keep the custom cards to a minimum (I think just knucklebone witch and churgeon, 1 drops were the real issue). I'm not sure if Krenko will prove to be too heavy handed, but so far it looks good.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Probably not. Sun Titan is the other card I'm nervous about, Big Elspeth was strong, but pretty "safe" as the White 6, I'm worried he might be.

I think big elspeth is more oppressive than Sun Titan, but then I've not actually tested Elspeth in my cube. Little interest.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Rotisserie drafted separately. In practice most decks don't want the same lands so its no big deal, but we determine a draft order just in case. The binder has two copies of each fetch/shock, but recently we changed the rule so that each player can only draft one of each. We'll see if its necessary or not.