FlowerSunRain's Cube

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Things that are probably going to happen:

Vampire theme gets axed, zombies get pushed a little harder.
Cut Persist.
Cut Sygg, Jinxed idol and a couple of other cards that aren't getting anything done.
Think of a way to implement select 3 color cards without using up real draft slots.

Thing that might happen:

Warrior/Soldier Crosstribal.
Fungus, with errata.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I wonder if it's worth making a custom finks that isn't as abusable, like maybe it's a 2/1 undying with a weaker trigger?
Redcap I could care less about really though.
Are you running any other persist cards?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I'm probably going to use the new GG dude along with my old friend revered hunter and try to push green devotion along again, using the +1/+1 counters are a fallback/superbest friend. Ram-Gang looks good here (incidental goblin too), maybe Xenagos God of Revels and new Surrak (stealing "Gruul Thread themes)?

Any play Xenagos?

Is six mana Garruk awful or awesome?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/...ron-drafter-a-way-to-draft-custom-sets-online
Seems worth a shot? It's certainly in a heavy alpha/beta etc, but thats better than nothing.

I think it's designed for actual custom drafting, so emulating the cube experience might be hard. You can set each card to have the same rarity, but multiples can still show up where you don't want them.
As well, I haven't done any poking around but drafting the packs of lands afterward might have to be done as a separate cube? I'm not sure

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
That is absolutely not a 7 mana card. The card needs a complete power level overhaul. It could cost {2}{R}{R} and many power-max cubes still wouldn't touch it (though it'd be good enough for me to run it! You could drop it to 4/5 if you were worried about too much unblockable power). I think even lower power cubes would have a tough time justifying it at {3}{R}{R}. The main question whether we want it to be "titan-esque" 6+ drop, in which case it needs better resilience/impact or just an efficient curve topper, which dropping the cost would probably accomplish just fine.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
As a thought experiment I took my list, cut it to 360 and took out all of the non-traditional developmental elements (separate land draft, custom cards, multiples) to see what it would look like. While its not without its flaws, the list actually doesn't look half bad as a "portable" version of my list.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/26091

This is what I do while waiting for my new card order to arrive. . .

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Double Hidden Dragonslayer, eh? He's the one I'm least sure of, but I love a good +1/+1 counter guy in white.
Arashin Foremost: I wonder if Warrior/Soldier Crosstribal would be too good.
Timely Hordemate: I love the idea of this guy, not so huge on the power level :p
Godsend: Has this been good?
Carnivorous Death-Parrot would probably be another stratus dancer if I had my way. I feel like that card is kinda only feel bads for the person casting it.
Is Sindbad good? Is he better than thought courier? If he is, does green want it?

Cool thought with all the pinatas: Pacifism allows their 5/5 to fight your hornets nest without fighting you

Also small nitpick having Dig Through Time categorized as a 2 mana instant seems ambitious :p (But then again I'm the guy who has everything marked as a creature or sorcery so the visual spoiler looks proper)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Double Dragonslayer: That's an error, not sure what card it is supposed to be.
Arashin Foremost: We'll have to see, that's the current plan though
Timely Hordemate: I'm running it at{2}{W}
Godsend: Pretty bad, probably not staying
Parrot: Possible, 2 toughness isn't a blank though.
Sindbad: He's been great, would be great in green (I made that swap in the portable cube), but green is so loaded that I'll leave it in blue

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
A couple more swaps that need to take place:

tuskguard captain -> Bramblewood paragon
Banisher Priest -> Rotting Rats
Some white 4+ drop out (probably restoration angel) -> Reverent Hunter x2
Drana or Necropolis Regent -> Sidsi or Glissa??
Find out if there is an undocumented card and if there is not, find a replacement
Consider if Kalastria Highborn custom card makes sense
Drop Rise of the Hobgoblins or Krenko?

Unholy Grotto in ULD instead of Volraths?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Its very strong when it combos with Shriekmaw or Boneshredder. Recurring a random midsize dude is good, but it feels fair enough.

Going to make a few more changes here:

Went with Sultai Emissary over Rotting Rats
Marsh Flitter -> Brutal Hordechief
Mystical Tutor -> Shadow Rift

Potential add pile:
Scute Mob
Shaman of the Great Hunt
Icefall Reagent
That hybrid merfolk that draws a card
Abundant Growth
Sigil of the Empty Throne

Potential Drop Pile:
Deranged Hermit
Staggershock
Mulch
Soldier of the Pantheon
Godsend
Become Immense
Grenzo

Noticing the cube is getting creature heavy 56.7%, wondering if that's causing any issues. I haven't noticed any, but there could be some performance issues under the surface.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
That actually sounds reasonable, because you're running lands in a completely separate draft still, right? I think most cubes around here are in the 47-50% range for creatures, but lands comprise anywhere from 11-14% of the cube. In my own cube, 57% of all my spells are creatures, but they count for only 49% of cards overall.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Out: Shivan Meteor
In: Shaman of the Great Hunt

Probabably Out: Marsh Flitter, Soldier of the Pantheon
Probably In: Brutal Hordchief, Ramosian Sgt

Blue devotion is probably getting a run.

Theoretically Out: Deranged Hermit, Godsend, Vampire Assassain, Tattarmunge
Theoretically In: Master of Waves (No Pro-Red, not sure if any compensation is needed), Thassa, Shorecrasher Elemental, Wistful Selkie

Other Ideas:

Troll Ascetic -> Boggart Ram Gang
Sphinx of Jwar Isle -> Icefall Reagent
x2 Bloodsoaked Champion and/or Swiftspear

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Its so bad. I'm still making changes, next draft is next weekend. Maybe crappy red murder with random 13 token/burn to face upside is good enough.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
THat's what he means, give it an extra token to make up for the loss of pro-red. I don't think I like that direction. The best thing I've thought of so far is to make him a 2/3. That dodges all of the pingers and all of the 2 damage red burn spells, as well as darkblast, dead weiight....

Probably the best direction.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
THat's what he means, give it an extra token to make up for the loss of pro-red. I don't think I like that direction. The best thing I've thought of so far is to make him a 2/3. That dodges all of the pingers and all of the 2 damage red burn spells, as well as darkblast, dead weiight....

Probably the best direction.

That seems fair. I'll admit I've never played with the card, but my impression was that the card would be totally fine without protection from anything.
I like your 2/3 version more than the extra token. It's always nice to make cards like this less swingy rather than more