FlowerSunRain's Cube

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Here is my list of cards that are going in or are being considered for inclusion, which I am writing as much for me to remember as anything else:

Flickering Ward
Wispmare
Pack Rat
Skylasher (Pro-Blue will be changed to either "Protection from Flying Creatures" or "+2/+2 when blocking a Flying Creature")
Undying Rage (Probably at 1R)
Glarewielder
Absorb
Cartel Aristocrat
Sorin's Vengeance
Thragtusk
Utopia Sprawl
Mayor of Avabruck
Miscalculation
Spectral Flight
Sigil of Sleep
Benevolent Bodyguard
Moldervine Cloak
Vendetta
Abyssal Persecutor
Arbor Elf
Ordeal of Purphoros
Wingsteed Rider
Squee's Embrace
Akroan Crusader

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Mark of Fury might be worth trying? People like fires right?

I do have a 2/2 can't block with Bestow {2}{R}{R} who's been sweet. He hasn't been bestowed on an opponent's guy yet, but I imagine when he does it'll be sweet

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I'm extremely skeptical on the impact. These cards need to be good without heroic. I mean, I'm only running 7 heroic creatures total split between 3 colors. Adding {R} to the casting cost of a creature to give it haste is pretty harsh, particularly since if the creature dies while attacking I lose the mark. Looping it on Triton, Akroan or Battlewise would be pretty funny, though. I'll consider it. Its sitting next to Seething Anger in my "How deep is too deep" pile.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I can't do math and realized that my cube should be 488 cards in order to cover the maximum number of draftable cards in an 8 player Westchester Draft, which is sweet because now I have 8 more cards to put in.

32 + (24*19) = 488

Undying Rage cast on your opponents wall is pretty much awesome sauce. I'm half tempted to run that actually simply because it can be used aggressively in two different ways. I have a slot or two at 3CC in red that I could swap without losing sleep.

Cool list BTW.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Thanks again for the Mark of Fury suggestion. I got it in a 1v1 grid draft deck today with 4 ways to utilize it.

My next minitheme is going to be enchantress. I realized I run an obscene number of enchantments and a bunch of cards that combo well. Argothian Enchantress and Enchantress presence are great and Ancestral Mask or Yavimaya enchantress could be decent.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Cards to consider

Mark of Eviction
Wild Growth
Bow of Nylea
Overgrowth
Necromancy
Ordeal of Puphorus
Wind Zendikon
Bident of Thasa

Heliod
Purphorus
Thasa

Shimmering Wings
Shackles/Cage of Hands
Genju of the Spires
Genju of the Cedars
Fallen Ideal (properly costed)
Rivalry
Tagic Poet
Replenish
Leafcrown Dryad
Hopeful Eidolon
Nighthowler (Again, lol)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
In a recent development, CML declared that he would have a hard time imagining a cube whose power level is low enough to run Ordeal of Heliod.

Is this statement of opinion true in spirit?

Is my cube's power level low enough to run this card?

If not, in order to run this card would I need to:

1) Go deeper into synergies?
2) Prune out some of the more universally powerful cards that overshadow it?
3) Both?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I "finished" my update, pushing enchantments hard. There are a few cards I'm thinking might be questionable and a few cards I'm thinking I might need.

At ~500 cards, I've got 2 big blue creatures, no JTMS, no upheaval, no real artifact creature finisher/Karn, Ludevic's and Capsize. Should I stick in one more blue game ender or is that fine (just poach other colors options)?

Is Bident of Thasa any good at all or should this be something else?

Scute Mob sucks, right?

If Skylasherdidn't have pro-blue, I might play him. Would having "protection from flying creatures" just be dumb?

Pyrewild Shaman is pretty mediocore, but is Thunderblade charge? I like Pyrewild's interactions with doublestrike, but otherwise I think I'd rather the charge. Or maybe both suck and I should just slot in a generic burn/land destruction spell.

Orcish Lumberjack is just so explosive, does he really belong in a cube that doesn't even run mind stone or dark ritual?

I think I want to double up on Replenish at some point, its just too fun a card/deck and it really needs the redundancy.

There's probably more, but its friggin' late and I got work tomorrow.

I'm unsure of the bident. I've heard people everywhere saying that edric is so amazing and makes all your monsters into magpies, so the bident should be good to, shouldn't it? I have it in my binder, just staring at me, begging to be included, but for some reason, I don't even want to test it.

Lumberjack has a larger chance of being just a blowout, seeing how you trow your forests away. There's a lot of risk involved in using it.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Well, it was "protection form flying creatures". Is that still insane? My other version was "when ~ blocks a creature with flying, place a +1/+1 counter on it" or "when ~ blocks a creature with flying it gains +Y/+Z until end of turn," but those are getting wording. Regen is sort of not an option, because then what fun is combining with swarmyard?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I got to cube a bunch on vacation which is good news, because this cube is 100% certified awesome. I got multiple compliments on the design and everyone who played it thought it was fun. Breaking it out with lots of new people is always important, because I got to see them experiment with it and design decks that I totally didn't support intentionally, but actually worked very nicely.

Some interesting stuff was noticed though:

1) White/Blue auras is great and came together repeatedly and always did well. Green enchantment based decks never came together and might need another card to draw into it. Heroic did fine, but red/white heroic hasn't come together yet.
2) Erebos, God of the Dead is pretty damn good, particularly if you can put together mono-black (and someone did to excellent effect). Ordeal of Erebos, a card that was included without much thought was maindecked repeatedly even in decks without enchantment/heroic support and was a reasonably dangerous threat.
3) There is enough "good stuff" to make unthemed midrange and control decks so new cubers can go to something familiar if they don't know the weird stuff in the cube.
4) People questioned the altered cards at first, but quickly got it and really liked Bloodhunter in particular.
5) While they were completely different decks, every draft was won by a 50% blue deck (White/Blue auras, Red/Blue Control, Green/Blue Prison). Probably coincidence, but will keep an eye on it.
6) Everyone liked the flexibility of the land draft.
7) Having no artifact mana was extremely refreshing and a change that I can't see turning back on. The red/blue control deck I 3-0'd with was extremely potent without them and it felt fair to the opponents to actually have to hit land 6 land drops to play inferno titan.
8) Capsize should probably go. I took the card and didn't play it, not because it wasn't good for my deck, but instead because I didn't want to play through the games that would likely result from it.

Most important thing: someone said, "We need to get together and have an all cube day." I totally agree!

I like original chandra.
Rising waters is only marginally less miserable than winter orb.
Overbeing seems... Colour intensive.
I like blink, especially in white rather than azorius.
I think blade of the bloodchief might be quite good.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
On Rising Waters: 4 mana is a lot more then 2, plus I don't run any mana rocks. Costing blue keeps out of the hands of the red/black aggro decks where it is stupid. Granted, when it works right it is just as miserable as Winter Orb, but you need to do a lot more to make it work.

Overbeing is a possible straight swap with Prime Speaker Zergana.

I like the Imperious Perfect suggestion, particularly since I have one lying around.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I'm actually going to go with Omnath, Locus of Mana over both Perfect and Jade Mage. I was looking for a green mana dumpster, which Jade Mage is, but Perfect does the job better, but it isn't a mana dumpster, so it doesn't work. She might fit in at some point if I need a token maker.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I have finished my tentative update, mixing in some +1/+1 support. After doing this, and being disappointed with my aggro one drops, I'm thinking about my first maincube multiple: Rakdos Cackler! He's good for beating face, goes in two colors (and basically every aggro deck ever) and gives fuel to volt charge and ion storm.

Any thoughts?

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I have finished my tentative update, mixing in some +1/+1 support. After doing this, and being disappointed with my aggro one drops, I'm thinking about my first maincube multiple: Rakdos Cackler! He's good for beating face, goes in two colors (and basically every aggro deck ever) and gives fuel to volt charge and ion storm.

Any thoughts?

Yeeeeaaaah buddy! I'm happy to see someone else interested in Ion Storm.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
When I read your post and saw that card, I knew what had to be done. I'm also running Crytoplast Root-Kin and Rage Forger and thinking about re-adding give // take.