FlowerSunRain's Cube

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Also, new cube errata: Clerics are Shamans and vice versa.

Retracted as of 2/1/14, cleric is not an interesting tribe, thinking if Rage Forger is viable and if not, if a different errata is viable or if it should just get cut.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
More awesome erratta: instead of the first ability, he has graft: 2

141.jpg

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I've got Cytoplast Root-Kin and Llanowar Reborn in, but otherwise all of the graft creatures are pretty awful. I'll see what me and the sharpie can come up with.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
That is one spicy suggestion. I didn't like Labyrinth Champions crap casting cost, but did want the effect, which this card gives you in a nice package. I completely forgot this card existed!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I guess it depends what you consider the opportunity cost of a slot in the utility pile is. I just throw everything in there, but if you want it to be concise I wouldn't consider it a top choice. Finks are plenty good in your cube already.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Based mostly on your recommendations, I acquired a copy of her and am looking forward to testing her out next week. Can't wait!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Nylea hitting the table changes everything.

First off, she has a clear weakness in that she does absolutely nothing without another creature on board which mutes her power level.

Second, the devotion minigame is delicious. Deciding when to go after Nylea herself with your tragic slip/o-ring/etc and when to go after their creatures to get a pseudo 2-for-1 is interesting and when playing her you can try to hold back to bait the wrong decision.

Third, giving everything trample and having a built in Elvish Fury makes the actual playing around her difficult in an interesting way. She just wins offensive creature combat, which is just such a gloriously green way to win the game. No evasion, no tricks, just on the board "I'm bigger then you" dominance.

Last, sometimes you just need the trample half of overrun to win the game and she does that too.

I'm not sure what else to say, she has just been repeatedly a fun card to win with and lose to in both my cube and my friend's (and we have very little overlap on the cards we run).

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
For my next major update (after Journey to Nyx), I am going to attempt to try the "three set" model. I already have two sets (main cube and land), so I will attempt the spread to three sets (key cards, support cards and lands). The attempt is to have more consistency (fixing certain cards and having them appear early), while keeping support variety (having a large, highly variable second pack). At some point before this I will attempt to make a distilled (360) version of my list to get an idea for how it would look when stripped down to essentials so I can better identify the key cards.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
After mentioning that I was working on an errata to get fungus tribal into my cube to some of my players, they have each in their own vernacular declared it was a great idea without even hearing what I had planned. I have a feeling we will be having quadruple forced Thalid decks after the next update!

CML

Contributor
Reading this thread is giving me more of an appreciation for lower power-level Cubes, which I guess is unsurprising because I enjoy Modern.

Anyone ever talk about a -1/-1 counter theme?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I have no idea what one would do with a -1/-1 counter theme. Serrated Arrows/Biskelion were some of my favorite cards from the old days of cubing, but they are pretty much awful now.

I guess we have Quillspike and Necroskitter for incentive cards? My gut tells me this is a non-starter due to weak card pool on all sides (incentive, support and overlap) and personally I think I will have tapped the very last ounce of feasible design space I can reach after my next update. Trimming the fat/supporting key niches better (possibly with multiples!) is really my biggest concern, because less fat means more consistency and more consistency means better Thalid decks!

CML

Contributor
I have no idea what one would do with a -1/-1 counter theme. Serrated Arrows/Biskelion were some of my favorite cards from the old days of cubing, but they are pretty much awful now.

I guess we have Quillspike and Necroskitter for incentive cards? My gut tells me this is a non-starter due to weak card pool on all sides (incentive, support and overlap) and personally I think I will have tapped the very last ounce of feasible design space I can reach after my next update. Trimming the fat/supporting key niches better (possibly with multiples!) is really my biggest concern, because less fat means more consistency and more consistency means better Thalid decks!

persist and shit, just look how they did it in SHM / EVE. managing that kind of resource is IMO more interesting than just pumping the doodz but who knows, i have far more +1/+1 than -1/-1 guys in my cube so the support / specific cards might just not be there

I know you've got errata for savannah lions, but would you not do the same to elite vanguard to go with your champion of the parish?