Fresh Meat

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
You've convinced me to start posting on salvation forums again. Do we have a banner ad? I'm sure if I started winning the daily card contests consistently with the backlog I've been posting here we'd get some press, but the press would be card contest nerds and those people are rarely designy people (oddly enough).

Do we really want the sort of people I'd be drumming up on the cube forum? I guess there are 3-4 names I like there, but damned if one or two of them haven't popped up here already.

I've also had the opportunity to tell a couple other cubers to come to me and Eric's night. It might work pretty well. Myles, an old buddy of mine was interested in doing streamed drafts of the modo cube, but how many more sarcastic modo drafts do we need?
Eric, how would you like to do a 360 powered cube day some time? I can probably get the guy to come out.
I know one of my old ontario buddies has an ontario cube fb group now, but I'd have to ask about a bit.

Hey man, everything helps. Even if it's just some nerds hanging out in the Print This thread, I'm never going to complain about new members.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Okay I found the sig and got it working on salvation.
If we start producing more cube content than other usual sources do (dude no one is doing it) and start putting it on their normal venues of distribution and people will eat it up. But let me tell you, you're gonna get dullards or people who are more excited to tell you whats wrong than contribute anything. There are a lot of types of content that aren't being made right now and it would be super easy for us to cultivate an edge in this wide open market.

Do you have specific content in mind?

Just think how few cube podcasts or videos or even discussions on novel topics you see that aren't associated with this site. Occasionally someone on starcity will have a friend who had a neat limited idea and bring it up but really a lot of what you hear about if there was a cool new idea, you lot had something to do with it. At least since CFB stopped that cube cast. It was actually pretty neat. I also don't mind Greg Hatch's dumb ideas but he seems to have no magic profile right now.

No podcasts are being made for cubers, you see very occasional Modo cube draft, I think there are like 2 people on youtube who have no visibility at all incorporating cubetutor into a chat cast sort of environment and it's been ages since anyone has seen any real-play cube content that wasn't modo cube related (limited resources cube draft maybe?). We have a much wider pool of people willing to figure out or take shifts on this sort of thing than most people and it's not like you and Eric and CML are devoid of personalities with unique experiences.

I think chatcast is a great start. I'm not really sure how to incorporate the design sorta bent our community has to it in this but boy is there an opening for generic cube content and people have proven they tend to follow and emulate the people making the content. Like just having little sets of james and you playing the 15 card sealed as a primer on cockatrice or something like that would probably get people interested.

Video cube primers that sorta give people an angle on the decision making and how goals have been achieved or profiles of 3-0 decks or even battling weeks 3-0 decks against each other. It's too bad no one has any modo cards but I'm sure there is a way we can think of to over come that and get something exciting for viewers.

I still really think people would enjoy watching CML do drafts or like get angry at hearthstone.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Just think how few cube podcasts or videos or even discussions on novel topics you see that aren't associated with this site. Occasionally someone on starcity will have a friend who had a neat limited idea and bring it up but really a lot of what you hear about if there was a cool new idea, you lot had something to do with it. At least since CFB stopped that cube cast. It was actually pretty neat. I also don't mind Greg Hatch's dumb ideas but he seems to have no magic profile right now.

No podcasts are being made for cubers, you see very occasional Modo cube draft, I think there are like 2 people on youtube who have no visibility at all incorporating cubetutor into a chat cast sort of environment and it's been ages since anyone has seen any real-play cube content that wasn't modo cube related (limited resources cube draft maybe?). We have a much wider pool of people willing to figure out or take shifts on this sort of thing than most people and it's not like you and Eric and CML are devoid of personalities with unique experiences.

I think chatcast is a great start. I'm not really sure how to incorporate the design sorta bent our community has to it in this but boy is there an opening for generic cube content and people have proven they tend to follow and emulate the people making the content. Like just having little sets of james and you playing the 15 card sealed as a primer on cockatrice or something like that would probably get people interested.

Video cube primers that sorta give people an angle on the decision making and how goals have been achieved or profiles of 3-0 decks or even battling weeks 3-0 decks against each other. It's too bad no one has any modo cards but I'm sure there is a way we can think of to over come that and get something exciting for viewers.

I still really think people would enjoy watching CML do drafts or like get angry at hearthstone.

Yeah, I have way more ideas for content than I have time to really produce. I currently have a list of a half-dozen or so pieces of content I want to make, on top of coming up with a stand-up script that's taking up too much of my time.

Well if we can start communicating a little more and pulling members you might be able to lighten your load. I admit I'm no techno geek so that aspect of the work is really not my strongest suit. Maybe we can make some sort of idea dump. I wonder what my best sort of stream capture bet would be. I think it'd be easy to get some of these off the ground if a couple of us can just make sure to have 3-0 decks to post or play online and reasonable quality audio.

I'm going to ask my friend if he wants to get started doing modo drafts with me and we can post them to the site. It's not original but it's content

My last pretty achievable idea is that I've probably told you all enough times that I'm working on a peasant cube with a lot of weird goals in mind. I wouldn't mind making it's construction and criticism a more public affair that we could have a media component for in the discussion or bother people on twitter for ideas. I think it's zany enough that you might get some people curious. Like, it's far enough off the cubing beaten path that it couldn't possibly threaten the cubing old guard and get their underwear in an uncomfortable place.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, Lucre, if I ponied up some store credit as a prize pool do you think we could get a card design contest going over here? Just a random idea.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
We should have cube-techs. Like, Jason should travel the world and get on camera with a guy laying out his cube and explaining the different shit going on in it.

Jokes aside maybe that would make good video content somehow. I don't have a good camera but that's not such an issue maybe.

Yeah we should talk about this some time. I'll try to think about what the successful models are for that sort of thing and the influential people I might be able to drag on if they are still making sweet cards. It's often a super good idea to give them direction though, especially if it's for like a themed site and a prize so maybe we should chat about that.

I used to post not so serious contests on the custom card thing that would get at least 12 good submissions for things like:

Design a playable (/cubable) green six drop that doesn't pass the vindicate test. (Going on to explain what passing vindicate and terminate tests usually meant and how to describe new tests)
or
Black removal is way worse than white and red removal, what would the black swords to plowshares / lightingbolt / oblivion ring look like? What makes Black removal good?

This might be the sort of thing that would work.

If I have time at home tonight I'll link my unfinished deathstar 2 of a cube in the list section with some design ideas but it's been a while since I thought seriously about the themes so I think this idea of making it a community effort might be for the best. You guys are gonna think I'm nuts, it's so aggressive.

Good god am I ever getting work done on the salvation cube forum.

It seems like there is a real untapped interest in the land draft but people hate Jason's cube enough to stay ignorant about it. I feel like if other people would write a more generic article about it vs people's grim monolith cubes it would probably play over really well.

Flower Sun Rain knows what I'm talking about. I'm going to reacquaint myself with the portfolio of articles on this site so I can take every shameless opportunity to help someone on another forum by mentioning this site. I even had an opportunity to ship someone your Netrunner review.

I had to call them something. It's like some people care enough about balance not to run sol ring and make an argument against power but then still have stuff like sink hole, grim monolith or mana vault or whatever in their thing and don't tend to think very much about how it starts favoring the "do something unfair" decks and how decks built around six drops are a lot more supported than others.

Grim monolith cubes are kinda like powered cube lite to me. There are ones that are thoughtful about it but most just include these in their list of obv best cards duh and end up really stilting their meta games toward certain strategies without noticing it or ever questioning if it's fun or not. Like the impact of these cards isn't considered, if it makes a whole lot of mana or helps you put a thing into play too early consistently it's totally sweet and is worth including while they continue to complain about how red has no diversity and no 3 drops are strong enough to make their cube. Like duh the decks everyone have in the back of their mind are playing tinker, recurring nightmare, grim monolith and wurmcoil.

I love cubes like that but I think it's so funny that so few people pay attention to the dynamics they create in them.

Hey Lucre, if I can steal the sig you have over on mtgs, I could use it for the few times I post there too.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
This is awesome! I love the beautiful banner in your signature, Lucas. Way to rep our community!

Hahahaha you totally made it. I was going to cut it apart from a screencap but then I decide it was prudent to google "riptidelab banner" and one of your posts came up.

I think I'm going to ask if the guy with the powered cube from markham wants to come to the next meetup too.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, hmmm... I guess I did.

For those of you interested:
I don't know what dimensions you need, but:
zH8qQkk.png

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, of all the ideas here, adoption of the forum sig may be the most successful. People on MTGS are already uh... in the Magic forum demo, and if they see quality posters all repping the sig maybe that generates interest.