Fresh Meat

CML

Contributor
According to the OkCupid blog it's better to be polarizing than to be consistently average.

"I've learned over the years that if you try to make everyone happy on every card you end up with a boring game—one that no one hates but no one loves. The key to making a trading card game work is to make sure everyone loves something and not worry that they hate something else, except in the case of NWO, because I wanted to make money."

Oh man I don't think they like the term grim monolith cube. But what's really weird is that I think the guy that is upset at me is also watching this thread. It's getting really meta.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, guy who hates Lucas, I think you're pretty cool and I'm sorry he offended you. We just want you to feel welcome.

Yeah it was weird after it became clear someone was a little hostile toward me, I decided to get back to them via message to apologize and ask them about improving my candor but like when he got back to me he told me he wasn't offended despite what I thought and posted a link to the post here I made about having gotten 'em angry.

No way man this guy seemed super hostile and he isn't getting back to me. I'd much rather sort out what the issue was. Especially if he's ghosting my activity on other forums.

With proper explanation people seem intrigued by my grim monolith idea now though. Grim Monolith and it's ilk are sorta the equivalent to what power is to a power cube. It's also very informative because most other types of cubes do no play grim monolith (Pauper, Peasant, Tribal, Power level limited, set cubes, themed), and in a highlander vintage format powerful acceleration is incredibly definitive of the environment because of how redundant it can get while still never repeating a name.

Yeah CML that was totally one of my other ideas. Balance being indicative of both the ramp into swingy unsymetrical effect and the absolute necessity for equalized multicolour sections!

I cannot agree with Konge and Jonas more. I came here because a friend wrote and article and I liked Jason's ideas and now I've met people I like and got me moving in whole new directions vs cube and magic.

I'd love more play articles and stuff though. I think it's hard given the breadth of our environments. Like I know I'm not the best drafter or player and I know I'm going to hit a ceiling unless I start playing with people I don't like again.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I came here because I am obsessed with cube and I don't really care about anything else in magic. I eat up any cube articles, so when Jason started the google group I jumped on it. I stayed for the spreadsheets because I like you people :)

VibeBox

Contributor
Oh man I don't think they like the term grim monolith cube.

i could have warned of as much. i was there from the start (and before when it was mtgNews) that place is toxic and creepy
but fuck them, grim monolith cube is a great phrase that i love you for coining

VibeBox

Contributor
when i get around to finishing "redefining power and the case against optimization" know that it was your original posting of the term grim monolith cube that inspired me to revisit the topic.
those cube deserve to be saddle with that title every bit as much as "dragon cubes" did before them

Slight addendum: What I really liked about the site and discussion is that it is considerably less prescriptive than the MTGS forums, and there's a much more open mind - not simply in regard to breaking conventions, but also choices/environment in general.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, this contest has been pretty good for the health of the site, so I think I'll run another one in January. Current idea: "Short essay (750 word cap?): what is the best designed card in Magic, and why?"

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I know my current pick for best designed card, but I could certainly be convinced that another one deserves the title.

Slight addendum: What I really liked about the site and discussion is that it is considerably less prescriptive than the MTGS forums, and there's a much more open mind - not simply in regard to breaking conventions, but also choices/environment in general.

Oh yeah the guy finally got back to me and told me that I could quote him that he didn't hate me or us.

And Konge, thats more or less what I said to him. I'm not like riding high on the design horse as J-money and the Riptide Cru, but I like a lot of the ideas here and I think it's pretty lame that they can't even be talked about, or really anything talked about, except for in terms that seem engrained in the site. When I didn't have time to post on two places I went to the one where the people felt like they were actually talking to each other, new things were brought up every week and everyone seemed to be engaging.

Like I can remember now how sick I was of trying to talk about an idea and not having anyone want to say anything more than direct power level comparisons or talk about what # of cards they would have to be at to have room for something in their UG slot. I guess that's fine but like it's not that helpful to old Lucas's dumb idea. I guess I just sorta went to where the conversations were happening. It wasn't like I was running away from MTGS because I hated them or I was joining an opposition party.

i could have warned of as much. i was there from the start (and before when it was mtgNews) that place is toxic and creepy
but fuck them, grim monolith cube is a great phrase that i love you for coining

Thanks for that man, I don't want to think I'm full of poison for them, but I know they aren't going to like that I think their mode of discourse is fundamentally flawed so I think maybe the damage is done anyway. I think there are tonnes of great people there if you can pull them into a place where they are talking.

BTW I think you might have a winner of an article there. The name alone is really pulling my strings!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not like riding high on the design horse as J-money and the Riptide Cru

FW2Q05w.png

Oh god I'm getting warnings for solicitation because I link people to relevant content too often. If I'm being reported for that we truly are the enemies.