GBS

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've had the draft + three rounds finish in as little as 3 hours. 3 and a half is more the norm. Four hours is way more than enough.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Magic players are pretty diverse, and people don't want to cube that's the way it is. Frankly I can't stand a lot of magic players and would rather cube with people I know and like.

Dougggggg

Reigning Draft Champion
I googled a bit, and it seems like.. it's not easy. Is there any way you could switch to WordPress at this point, or is your blog already established? WordPress offers free hosting, too, and has better plug-in support for both card tooltips and decklists, courtesy of deckbox.org. Of course, if you've already planted roots on blogger, it may or may not be worthwhile to uproot your site, depending on how much Magic content you plan to host.

edit: Whoops, saw your other thread just now. Try putting the following somewhere in the <head> of your blogger template?

Code:
<script src="http://deckbox.org/assets/external/tooltip.js"></script>

I tried and I couldn't get it to work on blogger, I think next week I'm just going to try out wordpress. It was so much trouble on blogger and still didn't work that great.

That sting at the end just bristles me though. I feel like I've got two hobbys right now in my life: WoW and cubing. (Represented in this metaphor by smoking weed and cooking) I can smoke weed whenever I want, it doesn't take that much time, and I've made a few friends doing so. I enjoy it, but it doesn't really add much to my life.
Cooking on the other hand is really nice, I end up spending quality time with some great people, and while I keep looking up recipes and sharpening my knives, whenever I try and cook for anyone, the response is "I dunno man, I'm hungry now. Can't we just grab Taco Bell?"

You can't WoW and cube. You CAN smoke weed and cook. :p Are you familiar with Roy Choi? He has a recipe for ketchup fried rice and goddamn if it's not one of the tastiest things you can eat in any state of mind. Also send some of your favorite recipes my way. I love cooking.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You can't WoW and cube. You CAN smoke weed and cook. :p Are you familiar with Roy Choi? He has a recipe for ketchup fried rice and goddamn if it's not one of the tastiest things you can eat in any state of mind. Also send some of your favorite recipes my way. I love cooking.

Cooking was actually a metaphor, but I'll do my best :p

I'm more of a "student living" kinda chef. My brother and dad both have formal chef training, so occasionally I'll come home and he's like "Hey you wanna try these korean short ribs I've suvided?"

Build Your Own Standard: BYOS!
So we were talking about this on the chat, and I think I mentioned it here before, but I thought I'd present the idea here a'fore I made a thread for it.

Here's the concept: We start a league on some rotating basis, maybe a monthly thing or maybe a longer period, we pick 2 blocks and a core set at random and we create a standard environments we throw tournaments online on cockatrice for.

I'm imagining something like this:
  • On the 25th of the month I'd roll some sets and generate say M11, Onslaught Block and Lorwyn! I bet goblins and soldiers get super interesting right?
  • In the following month on the 2nd weekend of the following month we would have our first tournament on cockatrice, with the winner being crowned The Queen of Love and Beauty
  • Then a final tournament of the season on the final weekend of the month where the winner will be given some accolade and be known forever as A Man of Worth.
  • Hopefully around then we will have picked a new designer format and we will start anew with the testing and deckbuilding.

Ideas:
  • Some control to keep things from seeming too much like actual standard formats.
  • Group alpha / beta / unlimted / revised into one section so things only get really weird once in a while.
  • Only include sets that can spiritually grouped as a block in the block selection.
What do you lads think? We want a bigger rotation? More tournaments for testing? We could certainly start some elaborate ranking thing to make everyone uncomfortable!

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
sounds awesome. I adore the titles, I want to be The Queen of Love and Beauty an anybody who knows me knows it's true. But even more than that I have a deep desire to be A Man of Worth. Somehow I doubt any but very few tests of magic skill can award such a title.

Dougggggg

Reigning Draft Champion
I'm always game for more constructed magic. Don't get me wrong, I love drafting (cube much more so) but I'm much more at home with a 60 card deck.

Related to a post elsewhere:

Blue moon was the best deck at the PT, because fuck modern mana bases. Ascension storm with blood moon sideboard was second best, and that 8 rack mono B discard deck was third best because that was fucking ballsy and I love it.

And there's pod, splinter twin and living end.

Magic's been going towards attacking with creatures for a while, right? Where are the attacking decks? Even robots seems to be more of a combo deck that dumps all its +1/+1 counters on a single dude who makes it through than a deck that tries to turn guys sideways fairly. Not that I'm going to complain too much about that, because ridiculous combo decks are great, but it seems like the attacking decks aren't good enough to keep the combo decks honest, especially because blood moon does a better job of keeping combo decks honest than trying to kill them first (you can't).

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Any of you guys played Antichamber? Yesterday I got out of bed around noon, and intended to work on music until my class that evening. Instead I started playing Antichamber and at around 2 or 3 pm it was suddenly 5pm. Anyway, awesome game!

VibeBox

Contributor
one of the biggest bitcoin sites is down indefinitely.
also, it happens to be at a domain name that started as an mtgo tix exchanger because lol, the internet

CML

Contributor
It's a joke that punk'd libertarians who didn't believe in financial oversight to the tune of nine figures USD. My only regret is not coming up with this joke myself

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been playing 2048. Anybody interested in an advanced strategy video?
qu5pw7c.png

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I've been playing Threes, the game that spawned 2048, so I say go for it. They're similar enough that I'm hoping any strategy will be applicable across both games.