General [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm thinking this is a worse Jori En. Way harder to trigger. You can usually draw a card off Jori the turn you play her if you sequence your spells (any spells) right. That's never going to happen with this enchantment. In addition, this is a pretty abysmal topdeck, unlike Jori, which is at least a warm body. That ultimate is a pipe dream as well. You might be able to activate it once (after a considerable amount of turns), but it's really unlikely you'll ever get to deal 5 damage more than once, unless you have some Skyship Plunderer-style cards in the mix, which are usually not at their best in a spell-based deck. I honestly don't have high, or any, hopes for Firemind's Research.

That said, I'ld be delighted if you came back in a few months with news that this has been the bomb in the Izzet spells matter decks in your cube :)

jori en fueled itself and in quicker bursts but didnt last long on board. yea the only proliferate spell worth running is volt charge.

this i can see more as a phyrexian arena or aether vial as foretold. not too exciting but can swing mid late favorably if played early

have you guys played sentinel tower. that card is better version of this ultimate

source.gif

You might wanna argue why you disagree with my explained opinion or just post funny star trek gifs, to indicate how stupid I am?

You might wanna argue why you disagree with my explained opinion or just post funny star trek gifs, to indicate how stupid I am?

This was Not me trying to discredit your opinion.

First, context for the Gif I suppose. Pretty much whenever a new card piques my interest, it turns out to be too weak for playability in cube. Pretty much all of the cool things aren't pushed enough to be worth playing in an environment with higher-power things going on. Disinformation Campaign, Boros Challanger, Golgari Raiders are so cool, but ultimately won't be that appealing next to Polukranos, World Eater and Psychatog. Entire Mechanics are underpowered (Jump Start, Mentor to a lesser extent).

I finally see a card that's both exciting and certainly playable, something that I won't look silly for liking, and what do people say?

ravnic said:
"This card feels like a 11-year old designed it after his wet dream, where he beat all his friends in middle school with that demon."

Yes, this card could have been way more interesting, and it could have easily been less powerful. In an ideal world, it would only be a 5/5, or have interconnected abilities. Clearly we're not going to get that in a standard-legal set anytime soon. WOTC is so afraid of breaking the game with synergistic cards, they just print garbage like Goblin Chainwhirler, Steel leaf Champion, Glorybringer, Carnage Tyrant, Supreme Will... We're never going to get a new Psychatog. For once, one of these dumb "pushed for competitive play" cards actually has some interesting lines of play to it.

So what happens when you find a "good" card that you actually kind of like but the rest of the community you want to be a part of seems to dislike it?
207rmn.jpg

Sorry for offending you.

I think the sentiment is that "pay 2 life: surveil 2" is a sweet line of text and it's a shame the card as a whole isn't 'for us'. Or for most of us, I should say. But I'm glad it hits the mark for some environments

I think it’s probably fine in a higher-powered cube. First, it’s a baneslayer, not a mulldrifter. It’s not going to hit the board and give you immediate value like grave Titan, merchant, thragtusk, hellkite, etc. It has to stick.

Second, it isn’t even as good of a roadblock of a baneslayer as something like the baneslayer itself. Baneslayer has lifelink so it will help you stabilize the first time it blocks. If you are at 5 health or so and within reach effects, thst’s Important. It also has firstrike so it’s more likely to survive combat. This demon guy gets murked by two 3/* flying blockers, or a 3/* blocker and a bolt.

I think it’s good, but to reference a post somewhere on another thread here, I think it can be played around. Every limited retail draft will feature decks with these types of creatures thst still don’t win.

Edit: to be clear, I’m addressing the earlier point about it being too powerful for a powerful cube. Not whether it’s a good card for other formats

I am 100 % going to run it. It has a very interesting mechanic and it doesn’t seem as powerful as many other cards. I also like giving creatures that are 4-6 mana some extra meat in Abzan colors. This fits perfectly.

Also it has synergy with other graveyard-matters cards. And I was already in the market to upgrade the black section a little bit compared to the other four colors and this again fits perfectly since it will provide a small extra incentive into going black.

So what happens when you find a "good" card that you actually kind of like but the rest of the community you want to be a part of seems to dislike it?
207rmn.jpg

I can understand where you're coming from, I was similarly excited for Doom Whisperer and was disappointed to see it being immediately dismissed as GRBS here. But when I stopped to think about it, that's a pretty spot on assessment from a Riptide perspective, Doom Whisperer is bonkers. Rather than let that get you down you should be using multiple sources to assess new cards, because at the end of the day your cube environment/philosophy might not align perfectly with the posters here. Mine personally is somewhere right in the middle between a power max cube and a Riptide synergy cube, so I often find that cards that turn out to be hidden gems for me tend to be ones deemed too weak for power max but too strong for Riptide. During spoiler season Riptide is the king of highlighting cool cards I tend to overlook whereas MTG Salvation is great at giving me a perspective on say how Doom Whisperer stacks up against blacks top 5 drops and a critical analysis of its short comings. Lots of other useful resources typically pop up too.

I will say however that most GRBS mythic cards that I've gone against Riptide opinion on and shelled out for have had a pretty short shelf life in my cube...for being GRBS once that new card smell has worn off.

looks low pick outside gy synergies. rather have trample haste lifelink than +1/2. if you activate for surveiling value without synergy losing two life. Bloodgift demon just drew you a card which would seem more mid powered
also plays with fateful hour type cards Triskaidekaphobia

Doom Whisperer isn't an ETB value engine, but it is above rate and way pushed for constructed play. I'm not as worried about it in Cube though; it's not particularly difficult to deal with provided you're running a less limited suite of removal. I just don't like how it's an above rate body with that ability; it's just inelegant. A 5/4 body ala Archfiend of Ifnir would probably get me to slot it in and give it a run sometime, but 6/6 is a bit too uncontested in the air by the vast majority of creature at that point of the game. Untapping with it will probably close out a game in short order, that's a bit much for a 5 drop for me. Oh, and it also has trample to get around chump blocking thopters or spirits too. Because why not :rolleyes: .

oh it does have trample. still looks playable. can only pay two life so many times and those combo decks kinda deserve a five mana finisher with some durability. if you prefer long games these type of cards wouldnt appeal but looks fine for my playstyle

yeah just a little too pushed, IMO. The sort where the body starts to invalidate what synergies might arise from the repeatable surveilling. Per shamizy's, if it had a 5/4 non-trampling body, I'd be all over it. That 4 toughness critically brings it into range of (more) red burn, and a deck can chump against it (Archfiend's ability aside).

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, I would be down to run it in one of the powered formats where the body dosen't start to occlude the synergy potential of the ability (which looks really sweet), but as is, I would expect it to just be beat down town with maybe a little value tacked on if I ran it in my format.

And I do actually like the card quite a bit from a power cube perspective. The powered cubes really benefit from this card existing i.m.o, just because its a reasonable body for them, that can actually do cool things. Its not my card though, which is fine. Not every card needs to be, and I can share some of the spoilers from what I expect to be a really healthy set for cube. I hope that players pushing the power level envelope have a lot of fun with it.

I don't think it warrants bashing, just understanding of where its likely to excel.

yea double evasion is weak when they just created menace for that purpose
shouldve given it more arms and eyes instead of wings and feet. nightmares need a hot take. that art looks so uninspired and sad

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Interesting stuff today:
divinevisitation.jpg

No idea if it's good but I'm happy this exists

thousandyearstorm.jpg

My brain exploded

hatcheryspider.jpg

Good body, nice ETB, but green permenant specifically might be annoying. Maybe I overvalue reach

discoverydispersal.jpg

Good early good late. 5 mana forced target recoil is still worth I think, especially since this basically has super cycling.

It's a shame the spider has to be cast to trigger....that would have all sorts of nutty applications otherwise.

I'm loving these split cards...even if I don't end up using them for my own cube. This set provides a bevy of riches for those low-powered graveyard cubes out there.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's pretty incredible that there were still such great designs left for the last week of spoilers. This set is pretty deep!

wandofvertebrae.jpg

This card feels kind of like what I might design if I was parodying this forum.

"What's the worst card we can make that riptide cube designers will put in their cube?"

A trinket, that self-mills, but only self-mills, and "enables" baron decks?

Obv, I'm thinking about running it.