General [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I still prefer Snapcaster for the more flexible casting cost and the 2/1 body > surveil 2 in my opinion, but this is pretty cool nonetheless!

SJMzEE2.jpg

This guildmage I like!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, what's the CMC on split cards again? The cascade into split card was always a weird mechanic... just thinking about Erratic Cyclops interactions.

I still prefer Snapcaster for the more flexible casting cost and the 2/1 body > surveil 2 in my opinion, but this is pretty cool nonetheless!

I almost prefer Mission Briefing specifically because it has no body. The casting cost is a little intense, for sure. I might just try it as the last piece in the set of "blue spell recursion" alongside Snappy and Gearhulk.

Also! just realized that this one doesn't target. That's a pretty decent upside. Not only can add a spell to cast with surveil, but can't be stopped once it's started.

In any case, appreciate that someone could probably use this in place of Snappy's in Modern if they can't afford that BS. Better for UB mill! :)

Yes. I let it go because I presumed the lack of response meant that the forum wasn't interested in exploring such an affect.

Make it an enchantment :) Instants and sorceries don't have lasting effects with maybe one or two exceptions. (Not that I can think of any right now)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Make it an enchantment :) Instants and sorceries don't have lasting effects with maybe one or two exceptions. (Not that I can think of any right now)

No, what I meant is that when they print the card, it sounded like its going to be printed without the "until end of turn text" present on the card. That missing language, as I understand, was going to be errata: it was going to be viewable on gatherer, but not present on the card, which brings up a lot of potentially clunky memory problems for playgroups.

It also potentially ups the power level of the card, in the sense that we can introduce it to our playgroup as a permanent invert affect, if we wished too. Of course, we don't need to do this, and could play it with the errata, but we have the option here, due to a mistake that WOTC seems to have made.

So than the question becomes, is this worth doing? Invert, while an interesting affect, is normally too narrow to merit a slot. By a mistake, we have a normally too narrow affect, that has been made somewhat less narrow. Is this good enough to make it playable? And than, even if ultimately too narrow, does the fact that its attached too a split card, make it worth the opportunity risk?

Should we introduce this with or without errata, if we introduce it at all?

I guess but then you can also play Walking Atlas as a non-artifact creature card :p

I think it is an interesting approach you are bringing up here: We can basically do whatever we want and with these kind of mistakes we can pretend to always have R&D's Secret Lair on the battlefield.

I have just decided to try and give all 8 players a Backup Plan before the draft begins which is also breaking the rules.

----

Now can you give me some fun/clever situations where this mistake would increase game play or bring it to a higher level? :D

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Should we introduce this with or without errata, if we introduce it at all?

Like I said, I feel this printing error makes this a really questionable include if you have both veteran gamers and casual players, because chances are some people will know the card has errata and play it as such, while others don't and play as if the effect is permanent. This is an awkward enough situation that it makes me not want to consider the card at all. A pretty shitty situation.

Also, best lure card ever?

tZY77vH.jpg

And man, that new Aurelia plus the super sweet Heroic Reinforcements that they printed recently make me want to revisit Boros for my cube!

Holy crap! This is extremely versatile. What a great, great card! Auto-include much?

CnH2u2I.png

this card is indeed amazing. Now I just need to determine if I take out Qasali Pridemage for it, or partner it up with Qasali Pridemage?
(or replace PM and another card?????)

I feel like if anybody's on the fence about reclamation sage, this can cleanly take over in the GW slot, leaving the green 3 for something a little more interesting.

I would no recommend cutting Reclamation Sage for this for the same reason I'm not a fan of running stuff like Disenchant effects in gold slots in general. Those are much needed answers, that as many decks as possible should be able to play. This guy goes in {G}{W}, the single color combination that has the most answers for artifacts/enchantments anyway, while it is much harder to play for {G}{U}, {R}{G} or {B}{G}.

If really needed, a card like Reclamation Sage can even be splashed. When you drafted a {U}{B} deck and you can't beat the opposing Loxodon Warhammer or Opposition you can possibly go for a green splash post-board and have a good answer. That's no option with this knight.

Also, shpuldn't gold slots be much more interesting anyway? You have what, 6, 7, 8 slots for mono green three drops and maybe half that much {G}{W}-slots in general?

This card is really good and cool, and if you're okay with swiss-army-knife-cards like that, which are always good in any situation, go for it. But don't cut Rec Sage :p

Golgari just gives and gives and gives! Check this out:

glowsporeshaman.jpg
molderhulk.jpg

Can't wait to regrow Wastelands with one or both of these. Maybe we'll be getting new lands that you want to sacrifice?

I love that shaman's artwork. Wish she was a 2/1 that brought the land back to hand directly. As is, I feel like Satyr Wayfinder is just better with half the colors most of the time.

What am I, on a crusade to defend mono green cards against gold invaders?

I already don't run Rec Sage. There are better options for mono-G in my opinion. And Knight can be splashed into 7 of 10 guilds while being much, much better. I'm not saying it's a clean swap, but Rec Sage isn't needed or even desirable for some formats, so this offers a powerful option in one of the guilds with the most use for this sort of effect and frees up a much more contested slot (there are 379 green 3 drop creatures versus 28 for GW, a 13.5:1 ratio, 3.5:1 even considering a slot 4 times smaller for GW).

Your Dimir example is also very narrow, considering UB has a variety of good solutions to Loxodon Warhammer in color, and Opposition is absurdly powerful so shouldn't be used as a lens to compare against in most situations (just take out the problem card: opposition).

Chris Taylor

Contributor
bloodoperative.jpg

How do we feel about this guy? The recursion text is basically meaningless, but 3/1 lifelink ain't nothing, and it does exile things.

Holy crap! This is extremely versatile. What a great, great card! Auto-include much?

CnH2u2I.png
Also supports +1/+1 counters for those who care. This+Hardened Scales, Winding Constrictor, Tuskguard Captain, Abzan Falconer... You get it.

Golgari just gives and gives and gives! Check this out:

glowsporeshaman.jpg
molderhulk.jpg

Can't wait to regrow Wastelands with one or both of these. Maybe we'll be getting new lands that you want to sacrifice?
I kinda like Molderhulk. GRN Has wayyyyy to many Golgari cards for me to consider. I might actually be cutting Deathrite Shaman for one of the new cards... (In addition to some of my more fringe Golgari cards as well. I'm not just going to cut one of my better Golgari cards just because a Fungus Zombie came about.)

I would no recommend cutting Reclamation Sage for this for the same reason I'm not a fan of running stuff like Disenchant effects in gold slots in general. Those are much needed answers, that as many decks as possible should be able to play. This guy goes in {G}{W}, the single color combination that has the most answers for artifacts/enchantments anyway, while it is much harder to play for {G}{U}, {R}{G} or {B}{G}.

If really needed, a card like Reclamation Sage can even be splashed. When you drafted a {U}{B} deck and you can't beat the opposing Loxodon Warhammer or Opposition you can possibly go for a green splash post-board and have a good answer. That's no option with this knight.

Also, shouldn't gold slots be much more interesting anyway? You have what, 6, 7, 8 slots for mono green three drops and maybe half that much {G}{W}-slots in general?

This card is really good and cool, and if you're okay with swiss-army-knife-cards like that, which are always good in any situation, go for it. But don't cut Rec Sage :p
I don't like Rec Sage very much. Every time I've played with it, it has felt clunky, and I even have a friggen enchantment cube. The Notorious BRON-TO-DON is more flexible in my opinion. I also think Wickerburough Elder is good in this slot.

bloodoperative.jpg

How do we feel about this guy? The recursion text is basically meaningless, but 3/1 lifelink ain't nothing, and it does exile things.

Yet another reason to play Dimir at the Prerelease...

Honest to god I think there might be enough potentially playable surveil cards to make this worth running beyond it's base stats and exile. Obviously, it depends on your power level and available space, but I think there will be enough of ways to enable this if one desires. The question ends up being: do you want to jump through the hoops to make this better than a 3/1 lifelinker with a built-in Heap Doll sac trigger. Demon Boi here could help:
doomwhisperer.jpg

This seems legit. Above curve, Evasion+Trample, and a useful ability. Not sure I'll have space for it, but I want to try it if I open it. What do y0u guys think?

I love that shaman's artwork. Wish she was a 2/1 that brought the land back to hand directly. As is, I feel like Satyr Wayfinder is just better with half the colors most of the time.

What am I, on a crusade to defend mono green cards against gold invaders?

I'm tempted to run Glowspore Shaman just because I love the artwork so much. Goth elves are my jam. And goth angels. Goths in general, really.

But yes, both Satyr Wayfinder and Borderland Explorer do this card's job better in mono-green.

Another card I think I really like:
SEOokFE.png

green feeling CA? Say it ain't so! And it's more interesting than Season's Past...